Date: 21-05-24  Time: 23:30 pm

Author Topic: Oxford heated grips fitted -- Yay!  (Read 9288 times)

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Oxford heated grips fitted -- Yay!
« on: 16 December 2013, 01:33:55 pm »
Just wanted to share my experience of fitting Oxford heated grips. I'm not particularly mechanically minded, so if I can do it, anyone can!

I spent quite a while on forums and watching Youtube videos about fitting the grips and then I spent some time figuring out how I wanted them orientated and where to run the wires. If you use superglue as Oxford recommend, then you want to get the grips in the right position first time and rather quickly (in a few seconds)!

Getting the old grips off was a doddle. I used a screw driver inserted from the bar end of the handlebars to loosen the grips from the existing glue. The left came off in tact. I had to cut the right off as it moved with the throttle slider when I was trying to twist it off. Whatever glue had been used previously came off cleanly and no cleanup or sanding of the handlebars was required.

I spent a while dry-fitting and experimenting with the throttle-side grip which slid on with little effort. The lefthand grip would not go on. The diameter looked too damn small so I gave up after an hour of trying and tried again the next morning. I'm sure I'd read somewhere about heating the grips up making them expand which allows them to slide on easier, so I wired them up and turned them on 100% for 10 minutes. The lefthand grip slid on hot fairly easily with a little help from some WD40 to lubricate. Didn't use glue on the left as I cant get the bugger back off (!) but did use superglue on the right as I didn't want it sliding around whilst riding.

Wiring was straight forward, it just takes a little thought and some cable ties. I went straight onto the battery terminals but I'll change that when I get it clear in my head how to wire on an ignition circuit. I wrapped the molex plugs with insulation tape to protect from rain.

Hope that helps someone. I'd highly recommend heating them up before fitting (you need to test them anyway, right?) and some careful thought about positioning. Have used them around town and they feel great -- 100% is too much after a while. Hopefully they'll cure my numb fingertips!

David.

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Oxford heated grips fitted -- Yay!
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2013, 01:42:44 pm »
Leave the earth as it is and use this to piggy back into ignition. 2 min job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170709632237?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Nice having warm fingers on a cold day just watch your mates at lights they tend to get a little snatch happy for my grips and we can not move when they are taking the piss

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2013, 01:46:55 pm »
Yeah, you don't want to really go straight from the battery, as you WILL forget to turn them off.

I have them switched on probably 70% of the year, they do make a massive difference in the cold and wet weather.  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2013, 01:47:57 pm »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170709632237?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

+1 for this, it's exactly what I did to add my 12V satnav
« Last Edit: 16 December 2013, 01:50:18 pm by Buzz »
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2013, 06:40:36 pm »

Nice having warm fingers on a cold day just watch your mates at lights they tend to get a little snatch happy for my grips and we can not move when they are taking the piss

Daz

I'm trying to figure out how this would give you live only when ignition is on... Can someone enlighten me?

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2013, 09:48:16 pm »

Daz

I'm trying to figure out how this would give you live only when ignition is on... Can someone enlighten me?

The ignition will not allow power from the battery until the bikes key is on. Only then can you use the start button. Its also part of the battery recharge system (if I remember correctly)

Daz

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2013, 09:55:39 pm »
The newer oxford grips have built in battery protection, I havn't tried it yet and dont plan too  :lol .

Anyway OP  :useless

And where did you hide the excess cable from each lead?

I ran my N/S passed the coils using cable ties. This is the only pic I have. I simply followed the cables to and from the handle bars. Mine excess cable and fuse I hid in the N/S panel where the the key to take off the seat is located. I put my sat nav and heated grips on same fuse. I have issues with gripps turning them self off if left idling at lights to long. So may put sat nav on main lights visa versa.
2 seat and tank off now for the petrol pump and filter also the coils 30 Oct 13
2 seat and tank off now for the petrol pump and filter also the coils 30 Oct 13

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2013, 10:02:34 pm »
Sorry Fizzy you ment excess wiring to handle bars? I looped mine and then cable tied em to cables in situ

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2013, 08:41:46 am »

If you use that tap on something like the headlight fuse then it will only be live when the key is turned.  There are 2 slots on a fuse tap, the bottom slot uses the existing fuse which was there already, 20/10A, the top slot is used for the live wire sticking out i.e. the heated grips, probably 5A

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2013, 09:37:33 am »

If you use that tap on something like the headlight fuse then it will only be live when the key is turned.  There are 2 slots on a fuse tap, the bottom slot uses the existing fuse which was there already, 20/10A, the top slot is used for the live wire sticking out i.e. the heated grips, probably 5A
gotcha, well described, thanks

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 December 2013, 12:07:10 pm »
The newer oxford grips have built in battery protection, I havn't tried it yet and dont plan too  :lol .

lol! I'm not sure you need pics. You know what grips look like?!

It is the newer grips with battery protection. I'll still move the live though.

The excess is cable-tied by the left fairing at the moment. Not sure what to do with all that cable...

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 December 2013, 12:15:49 pm »

Daz

Good idea. Just ordered one now.

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2013, 02:48:20 pm »
The only niggly thing about using fuse taps in the existing fuse box is that because it adds another 1/2 cm to the height of the fuses you can't quite close the lid.  However I've had a couple in there for 2 years in all sorts of weathers and nothing bad's happened to my electrics so far.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2013, 09:38:27 pm »
I've always been a big advocate off heated grips and muffs, but this year I've gone for Keis' new heated gloves, not cheap but frickin awesome!
Some say...

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2013, 10:50:04 pm »
I've gone for Keis' new heated gloves, not cheap but frickin awesome!
I've just gone for the Keis heated vest. Also awesome, especially round the kidneys.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 December 2013, 06:40:31 am »
I've gone for Keis' new heated gloves, not cheap but frickin awesome!
I've just gone for the Keis heated vest. Also awesome, especially round the kidneys.
I've had the older model vest for 2/3 years, which is just lovely when it comes to January/ February!
Some say...

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 December 2013, 02:23:19 pm »

Daz

Got the little fuse piggyback gubbins today. How do I attach the live from the grips to it? Do I have to strip the wires and crimp or is there a more elegant way of doing it?

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 December 2013, 03:47:16 pm »
I cut, stripped, soldered then heat-shrinked but I guess crimping will work....never liked crimping though.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 December 2013, 10:10:24 am »
Sounds like hard work. Think I'll crimp and hope!

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 December 2013, 11:33:32 am »
Merry Crimpmas!

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 December 2013, 03:15:17 pm »

lol! I'm not sure you need pics. You know what grips look like?!

It is the newer grips with battery protection. I'll still move the live though.

The excess is cable-tied by the left fairing at the moment. Not sure what to do with all that cable...

You win Fizzy -- pictures attached! First is under the seat, the two of the grip positions and lastly the cable by the n/s fork.

Added the piggyback connector so the grips only turn on if the ignition is on. Shame the fuse box doesn't close now... Which circuit is best to piggy back? I've used the ignition circuit but if there is a failure whilst riding, not sure what would happen. Any ideas?

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 December 2013, 07:47:10 pm »
No idea why people fit the grips like that with the wire coming towards you. Just seemed odd why I test fit mine, I decided best to have the wires on top, 135 degrees this way of yours. No chance of interference that way, levers switches etc. Anyway glad you got sorted :thumbs

That was how I was going to fit them originally but after test fitting I chose the way you see in the pics with the wires coming towards the rider. They keep well out of the way like that and look a bit tidier IMO.

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 December 2013, 11:59:16 am »
No idea why people fit the grips like that with the wire coming towards you. Just seemed odd why I test fit mine, I decided best to have the wires on top, 135 degrees this way of yours. No chance of interference that way, levers switches etc. Anyway glad you got sorted :thumbs
I'm obviously the black sheep...The clutch side I have facing me, the throttle side I have facing forward and run the cable along the throttle lines....:)

That was how I was going to fit them originally but after test fitting I chose the way you see in the pics with the wires coming towards the rider. They keep well out of the way like that and look a bit tidier IMO.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 December 2013, 02:21:24 pm »
I'm obviously the black sheep...The clutch side I have facing me, the throttle side I have facing forward and run the cable along the throttle lines.... :)

I actually thought of doing that as well but changed my mind when I realised it would look a bit mental.

Bah!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 December 2013, 03:59:05 pm »
Best place to have the wires if you fit muffs over the bars too!
Some say...