Date: 07-05-24  Time: 21:18 pm

Author Topic: Open heart surgery  (Read 1051 times)

Haugen

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Open heart surgery
« on: 14 June 2012, 11:43:36 pm »
Oh woe...
About three or four weeks ago my FZ1S gen2 dropped about 100 milliliter of coolant when I arrived at work. I called my mechanic who told me to keep a close eye on the level of coolant in the expansion reservoir. I did and all though the level fell a bit it wasn't much but it seemed that the colour changed to slightly brownish. Since I was planning to go to the Netherlands this week so I thought I'd better have a look at it just to be sure. I dipped a q-tip in the coolant and it came up blue. I had a look at the back of the oil filler cap, no mayonaise.
I'm not all that well versed in things mechanical so I went to see my mechanic. He told me to go for a ride and then keep an eye on the bottom of the engine. Apparently there is a hole which will leak coolant in case the ceramic gasket (Right term?) in the water pump had ruptured. I looked and there was a drop of coolant right where it shouldn't be.
I talked to my mechanic the next day. The verdict was open heart surgery... He will have to change the ceramic gasket, a 5-hour job, and not cheap either.
Have anyone else had this? I haven't read of it anywhere.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Open heart surgery
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2012, 05:27:01 am »
Hi there.

Yes, not a totally unknown failure although rare, thankfully.  You are one of the unlucky ones.

Read all about it - with loads of photos - here:  http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37957&highlight=water+pump

You can continue to ride with the mechanical seal weeping like that - that's why the drain hole is there - but it's something that is better fixed sooner rather than later.

Haugen

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Open heart surgery
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2012, 11:15:35 am »
Ok, thanks. I'm going to get it fixed on monday...