Date: 29-05-24  Time: 14:32 pm

Author Topic: Coolant temperature  (Read 864 times)

pjwillams35

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Coolant temperature
« on: 18 August 2022, 08:07:15 am »
Any Fzs1000 gen 1 riders with a temperature gauge fitted. Riding my bike in 17°C the other day and the temp indicated about 68°. As the outside temperature increased the coolant temp increased to about a steady 80°. I thought maybe the thermostat was stuck open but I've taken it out and tested  it and it's working correctly.
On my Blackbird once warmed up the temp is a steady 79° to 83° whatever the air temperature.
Is this normal for the Fazer?

Kenyun

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - z1000r 2xTRX850 CB500X
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant temperature
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2022, 08:00:46 pm »
Any Fzs1000 gen 1 riders with a temperature gauge fitted. Riding my bike in 17°C the other day and the temp indicated about 68°. As the outside temperature increased the coolant temp increased to about a steady 80°. I thought maybe the thermostat was stuck open but I've taken it out and tested  it and it's working correctly.
On my Blackbird once warmed up the temp is a steady 79° to 83° whatever the air temperature.
Is this normal for the Fazer?

I have no idea.....my Fazer thou has no temp gauge fitted, so no way to check, but during the 180,000 miles we've travelled together it's never overheated despite the fan rarely having to kick in. Variation in cooling system design, radiator size, ambient temp, air flow and engine load/power output will all have a an affect on engine temperature. Comparing other bikes, my TRX850s [both of them] always seems to run relatively cool, as they do have temp gauges.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2022, 02:41:58 pm »
I had a Multigauge on my Fazer which gave me coolant temp.  Even on hot days in Spain, I always thought the coolant temp was lower than I'd expect.  During winter/spring rides, temps were around 70C so consistent with what you're seeing in the  UK.

Suggests that they tend to run slightly cool, or perhaps that the temp sensor isn't located in the area where the coolant is at its hottest. :)

pjwillams35

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2022, 03:33:21 pm »
Thanks for the replies. It seems quite a large spread compared to what I'm used to seeing on my Blackbird.

MPW12

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2022, 11:00:42 am »
mine is the same, it will sit at about 78°-84° all day, depending on traffic go up a bit, but if I am in heavy traffic fan will kick in around 98° and bring it right down :)