Date: 19-05-24  Time: 01:52 am

Author Topic: FZ6 Forks  (Read 2697 times)

Mooks

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
FZ6 Forks
« on: 07 April 2013, 02:09:06 pm »
Hi all,
 Anyone know if it's possible to weld on to the fork lowers without damaging them?
It would be a very small piece.
Cheers

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: FZ6 Forks
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2013, 12:45:25 am »
Can't see it being an easy job; them things will be aluminium which will twist and warp quite easily (once it does, it won't come back straight either. Cast ali will be even worse (it requires pre-heating before welding) and isn't always successful either.

If you're intending welding with the forks fitted, make sure you isolate any sensitive electronics (ECU / ABS / immobiliser etc) - welding current can potentially damage these.

I would seek the advice of a *good* welding / fabrication shop (one that can handle aluminium welding, not all can) and see what they say.

Mooks

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2013, 09:06:45 pm »
Thanks for the reply.
Its not looking like much of an option. I'll have to have a think about an alternative.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2013, 12:45:03 am »
What do you want to weld onto them? Could you do it with some sort of clip instead?

Mooks

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2013, 06:05:12 pm »
I was Looking at doing the R6 fork swap. Trouble is, mines got ABS, and the R6 doesn't have it. I haven't got the R6 forks to look at yet, but I'm guessing they wont have the little tab on them, that locates/holds the front sensor housing in place. Looking at the FZ6 forks, as far as I can tell, it would be the only thing hindering the swap. Just trying to get an idea of whats involved before forking out the cash on parts.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2013, 03:27:17 am »
Maybe easier to get a bracket made up / fabricated for the sensor, and fit it using the existing screw / bolt locations? (Haven't seen the R6 forks in detail).