Date: 21-05-24  Time: 03:55 am

Author Topic: Clutch noises  (Read 1421 times)

foxbass

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Clutch noises
« on: 12 July 2014, 03:04:55 pm »
 :eek
Just a bit of a 'heads up' guys.
Just had my ride give me the run-around for a few days coz I thought the clutch was knackered. Basically I did an oil change and over-night was having trouble selecting 1st to neutral or 2nd to neutral. Became impossible. Went down the usual routes of cable adjustment/lubrication etc, etc with no improvement.
Like an idiot I stuck a new clutch in without looking at the bearing behind the pressure plate. The prob rapidly got worse with the clutch not properly disengaging, so creeping at lights. No amount of adjustment worked.
Pulled the cover and discovered the pull shaft bearing which is pressed into the back of the pressure plate had catastrophic wear. The inner shell had pulled almost entirely through the race as the inner track had fretted away.
Dunno if any of you are au fait with bearings but I am and this item is NOT a thrust race! It is simply a ball race for the rotation of shafts. Used in this application it will wear quite quickly.

Upshot?

New bearing for £7 sorted the problem completely!

So, if you have a bike with more than say, 20 thou on the clock, nip out and start her up. Leave it in N and just pull the clutch lever all the way. Making any audible noises? Sort of like a metallic whirring sound. (Mine makes no sound that is discernible above engine noise on idle)

No?

Go back to your beer  ;)

Yes?

Don't panic, but I'd schedule a bearing change come next oil change. Bearing and gasket are about the same price. You won't regret it!!

JC

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch noises
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2014, 03:29:16 pm »
Thanks for the heads up...

Mines at 27000 miles and doesn't make any noise and haven't had any issues with the clutch yet
 :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2014, 03:41:27 pm »
Yeh...thanks for sharing......got that on my thou......is it an easy job ?

, did you do it yourself ?
One, is never going to be enough.....

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2014, 07:56:45 pm »
Thanks for the heads up can you remind me in another 10 years when I might have 20 k on the clock  :)
« Last Edit: 12 July 2014, 07:57:22 pm by Andy FZS »