Date: 20-05-24  Time: 09:47 am

Author Topic: FZ1 General Maintenance  (Read 751 times)

Fazian

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
FZ1 General Maintenance
« on: 21 April 2020, 07:07:54 pm »
This is just an idea but has anyone done some sort of checklist for checking certain parts of the bike at either time or mileage intervals for us "Novices" ?

Also what about general checks before and after a ride out?

Might be useful and safe for those of us that are "not sure"

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1 General Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2020, 07:26:32 pm »
Follow the manual  ;)
Later

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2020, 08:46:34 pm »
I honestly dont check anything other than the amount of fuel before I ride out... but that's not a clever thing, it's just laziness Haha
I check the tyre pressure every few months (when I remember) and other than that I check things when they stop working.

As for regular 'maintenance' I'll wash it every fortnight or so depending on use, oil the chain everytime I wash it.
I change the oil twice a year (before and after winter months), clean the air filter every 6 months or so.
Once a year I'll take the calipers off, check the pads and while I'm there clean and regrease all the pistons, I undo all my exhaust studs and reapply copper slip, decrud/clean the lower suspension linkages and apply ACF50

That's about it really

With the current lockdown in effect I've recently stripped all extra parts off and given her a 'super deep clean' which has gove me chance to do some of the other random little maintenance tasks (like changing the rear caliper fluid) and has helped me spot a few bits that need doing

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2020, 09:03:00 pm »
I honestly dont check anything other than the amount of fuel before I ride out... but that's not a clever thing, it's just laziness Haha
I check the tyre pressure every few months (when I remember) and other than that I check things when they stop working.

As for regular 'maintenance' I'll wash it every fortnight or so depending on use, oil the chain everytime I wash it.
I change the oil twice a year (before and after winter months), clean the air filter every 6 months or so.
Once a year I'll take the calipers off, check the pads and while I'm there clean and regrease all the pistons, I undo all my exhaust studs and reapply copper slip, decrud/clean the lower suspension linkages and apply ACF50

That's about it really

I'm about the same without the exhaust stub nuts,never really thought about them really but you can bet your best riding boots if I ever need to take them off I'll be in the shit !!!! :'(

With the current lockdown in effect I've recently stripped all extra parts off and given her a 'super deep clean' which has gove me chance to do some of the other random little maintenance tasks (like changing the rear caliper fluid) and has helped me spot a few bits that need doing
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Fazian

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2020, 03:39:35 pm »
Follow the manual  ;)

I understand that I was just wondering if anyone has deviated from the recommended because they feel it was either not necessary or needed to be more often.