Date: 18-04-24  Time: 16:59 pm

Author Topic: R6 shock Mod fazer 1000  (Read 242799 times)

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
Re: R6 shock Mod
« Reply #75 on: 24 January 2012, 10:11:18 am »
Ghoti yours out thursday ;)

Why thank you. 

Now all I need is an excuse for a parcel turning up just before SWMBOs birthday that is bigger than the gift I have bought her!  Or a good divorse lawyer  ;)

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 24 January 2012, 09:36:18 pm »
two silver ones left out of this batch of eight pm or email
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 25 January 2012, 07:28:21 pm »
Luke...you have pm

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 27 January 2012, 03:00:43 pm »
as do you 2 more shocks sent out today and record 3 days for one to get to singapore result for ups well impressed

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 30 January 2012, 02:10:17 pm »
two silvers in stock folks and good to go

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 31 January 2012, 09:15:41 am »
Thanks Luke, got it yesterday.  Looks luverly and easy to follow instructions.  Now to find time to fit it.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 31 January 2012, 04:16:43 pm »
aj you have pm and all noted ghoti have fun

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 04 February 2012, 11:45:33 am »
dickturpin yours going out monday bud

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 04 February 2012, 11:52:46 am »
Thanks for the update.....need the garage to warm up a tad before it gets fitted! f'in freezin here today with snow forecast this afternoon!

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 08 February 2012, 03:42:15 pm »
Two more shocks in stock guys

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 12 February 2012, 10:26:34 am »
Above gone and replaced with two more

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 12 February 2012, 12:47:38 pm »
Thanks Luke....all arrived safely this week. Will comment on fitting and ride experience in due course.

FZSPattaya

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 13 February 2012, 12:11:40 pm »
Another satisfied customer. Ordered mine 4 or 5 days ago and it arrived at my house this morning - in Thailand.
It's a great looking piece of kit with easy to follow instructions. I will fit it in the next couple of days.
Cheers Luke.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 15 February 2012, 11:06:12 pm »
glad it got all that way too thailand safe and sound recently sent one to singapore too so getting international now lol

FZSPattaya

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 17 February 2012, 02:34:23 pm »
Luke,
Just to let you know that it is now fitted and feels like a new bike. I am a complete moron with mechanics but managed so it's not a difficult conversion.
A separate thread on this site mentioned wheelies - with the new shock it no longer squats under hard acceleration and gets the front end nicely light. Next step? Learning to get the front wheel up on demand and keep it up.
In the unlikely event that I ever find another Fazer owner in Thailand, I wil let him try my bike and you will have another customer.
Afetr that? Finding out what this Ivan's stuff is all about.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 17 February 2012, 06:28:12 pm »
Luke,
 with the new shock it no longer squats under hard acceleration and gets the front end nicely light. Afetr that? Finding out what this Ivan's stuff is all about.

Just fitted mine but not ridden it yet....could be a wheelie good weekend!!
Also sounds like a long trip for Mike coming up!!

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 17 February 2012, 08:10:15 pm »
Good glad is all going well and instructions were understandable

Flip

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 21 February 2012, 10:36:51 am »
Hi all,  time to add my (quite verbose) two pence.  Feel free to just read the first and last paragraphs and ignore my drivel in between!

Another "+1" on Devilsyam kit.  I sent him my R6 shock I sourced, and he sent it back  with all bits ground and drilled, and the shock cleaned and all adjusted up for my ample bodyweight, along with good instructions and a shiny set of dog bones - all within a few days!

Fitting was quite easy, fortunately I could get to all of the bolts with a ratchet an spanner, even the top shock mount one with the addition of a UJ and a couple of extension bars.  How people undo that top mofo with a 14mm spanner I'll never know - I had a 2 foot ratchet on there!!  Anyway, ignoring the bolt size differences (instructions say 19mm on one, but they were all 17mm or 14mm on my bike) the instructions are more than informative enough, and the new shock just plopped straight in with no issues.  Only thing to be careful about is the washers glued to either side of the top shock mount - in this cold weather they popped off when I looked hard at them.  I just covered them in grease and got them to stick in place that way whilst I bolted everything up.

So, how is it I hear you ask?  Well, firstly let me say that I couldn't find the stock settings for the front forks as recommended, so they are set to 11 clicks out on compression, and 4 clicks on rebound with a couple of rings showing on the preload.  I did also pop the forks through the clamps 10mm to quicken up the steering.  If someone can confirm the stock settings for me I'm more than happy to try them, I think I might dial down the compression setting a touch. 

Anyway, I digress, my first impressions as I warmed up the bike gently were wow, this feels SOOO much lighter - once moving at any speed it feels like 10 kilos has been lopped off, not the 1 kilo difference between the two shocks!  She also felt much more willing in the corners, catching me out with her eagerness to bend over :)  So, I topped up her kangaroo juice, and went off on the hunt for some nice roads to play with.  Once "pressing on" a touch more, the bumpy potholed roads didn't upset the bike, she felt a lot more composed and glued to the roads, attacking corners with a new limpet like quality akin to my old CBR6 - it felt great!  Obviously not being a riding God I cannot give quantifiable evidence, but I was attacking corners more quicker, with absolutely no dramas - and both bike and rider felt a lot more comfortable and confident.  The upgraded ability of the back end seems to compliment the front end too, and that is much improved.

We then had to stop for a set of lights on a dual carriageway - and I wobbled up to the front, around the shiny metal bollards.  The lights changed and off we set - much like a scalded cat.  The difference in acceleration behaviour is quite something, gone is the feeling the back end is attached to a pogo stick!  The only motion is forwards, and its quite intoxicating!  I then attacked a fast dual carriageway section at a fairly unreasonable pace and the increased high speed cornering stability is quite apparent, again very confidence building.

Then back to home down slower twisties that I knew well, of course now I was happy and warm, as was my steed, so we "made progress" quite significantly here too.  She does now seem to have much more of a tendency to lighten the front wheel and shake her head when pushing hard out of corners, also hitting the odd crest in the road did see the front wheel lifting here and there - not wheelies or anything (I still can't do them) but definitely much more eager to lift an inch or two off the road and make you look like a hero.  There is absolutely no drama from the back end, just happiness and compliance with your every whim.

So in summary (if you are still with me) a VERY worthy upgrade, making your bike feel much keener, more planted and giving you much more confidence - There are no downsides it seems.  If you have some spare pennies - go buy an R6 shock kit from Devilsyam and get it on there - you won't be disappointed.  I've fallen in love with my bike all over again - certainly rekindled "the spark".  My next job is to remove the AIS facehugger, and see what removing a bit more weight does for us!

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 21 February 2012, 12:47:20 pm »
Flip...I did the shock mod a couple of weeks ago and also did the AIS removal at the same time. I've only had the bike out once since and have to agree with your comments. 'Composed' was the word that came to mind on that single trip. Not had time to get 'hooligan' like with it yet! :D

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 22 February 2012, 09:07:10 am »
All good thats wot i like to here currently two shocks in stock guy's

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 24 February 2012, 09:29:46 am »
more sent out today

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 27 February 2012, 09:35:19 am »
2 more shipped out today 2 in stock

gel

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 27 February 2012, 01:15:26 pm »
Still waiting for the weather to pick up before I fit my shock, the suspence is killing me! One slight issue is that the instructions that Devilsyam included may have made it into the recycling  :oops .  Anyone got an electronic copy that they can send to me? Please?

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 27 February 2012, 01:51:43 pm »
WHAT :eek lol pm your post address and i'll send another set

devilsyam