Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:48 pm

Author Topic: Won't Start :(  (Read 4689 times)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Won't Start :(
« on: 11 February 2012, 12:28:36 am »
Hey guys,

Basically I appear to be having issues with getting my bike to start ('99 FZS 600). It kicks over and has spluttered to life before the revs drop sharply and the engine cuts out. It appears that the cold has had an effect more than anything else but it seems like something else might be going on. Even during the day it takes an attempt or three before it will actually get going and even then I have to hold the revs up whilst the engine warms up before it will idle without stalling.

I've replaced the spark plugs last week, which was a nightmare in itself since whoever had the bike before me rounded off the thread for one of them (so a trip to a local mechanic was needed). The only other work recently is that I replaced the fuel tank this morning. Bike started up fine after id finished and it was snowing then so not exactly warm. I proceeded to go out in the evening (snow and ice had gone thankfully) and it did its usual take a couple of attempts before starting and I rode probably around 7 or 8 miles so im pretty damn sure I havent left the fuel tap off otherwise I never would have made it that far. When I attempted to ride home it just refused to get going as stated above and after a half hour or more ended up having to call on a friend to come pick me up and leave the bike locked up where it is.

Sorry for the essay but figured id give as much info as possible. All help greatly appreciated :)

b3tarev3

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Betarev3
    • View Profile
Re: Won't Start :(
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2012, 01:45:04 am »
If it was running ok and now shite since you've replaced the tank, check that you haven't kinked the breather pipes that are under the fuel tank.

dogruff

• CBT Wobbler
  • Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2012, 07:46:43 am »
Why was the tank replaced?Blocked fuel filter?Blocked air filter.Faulty plug cap?Choke staying on?Water in carbs?TPS?Trial and error i'm afraid.

squiz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2012, 10:13:01 am »
id start from the beginning of basics........check for spark,fuel getting through, maybe put sum fuel in each plug port and see if it fires first go if u got a spark,if it does then id say fuel starvation :)    im no mechanic but never had to bike into a shop yet:)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2012, 10:27:23 am »
@b3tarev3: Yeah I will do when I go back to try and get it working today.

@dogruff: There was a leak in the fuel overfill pipe inside the tank so if you filled it up more than half way, the fuel would just pour out on to the floor. Hence, I replaced the tank :P

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2012, 11:46:49 am »
If you've kinked your breather pipes opening the fuel cap every few miles will release the vacuum created by the engine sucking the fuel out of the tank, pain in the arse but you'll get it home where you can get the tank off.

Regarding the stalling, how long do you leave the choke closed after starting? When I start mine up the revs dip for some reason so I keep the choke closed until it revs back up, then I use the choke to drop the revs down to just over idling speed while I get my gloves on and open it completely as I set off. I'm unsure if this is the propper way to do it but it stops my bike stalling.
Also do you wait for the fuel pump to stop clicking before you try to start it? I don't mean to sound like a patronising nob by the way, mine struggles with the cold.
thou shalt not kick

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2012, 02:26:55 pm »
Well I went down to where I left it earlier, turnt on the ignition and the damn thing started first time. I proceeded to take it for a good 40 mile spin around the outskirts of Bristol and all seems fine so I guess it was primarily the cold effecting something.

@DryRob: I typically dont use the choke as it seems to be harder to get the bike to start with it than without it :s but that could just be me to be fair. I always wait for the fuel pump to stop clicking before I attempt to start it :) Dont worry, no patronising seemed apparent ;)

keno

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX1200R 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2012, 03:12:12 pm »
Probably carb icing with the low temperatures we have had lately.. ;)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2012, 05:56:15 pm »
Having read a load of the other threads here, I came to the same conclusion. Not exactly sure how to overcome that issue even if its even possible though

dogruff

• CBT Wobbler
  • Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2012, 01:30:33 pm »
Good call,Keno.In my neck of the woods we seldom suffer from extreme temps.,just rain and more rain,therefore we tend to dismiss carb icing as a cause.Talking to my sis' earlier on and she said they had more snow last night.(Hunts).

Juliofantastico

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2012, 07:50:09 pm »
Had similar symptoms with mine, ran like a dog at low revs and fine once warmed right up or when i was giving it the beans. wiser men than me have informed me that the pilot jets are blocked in my carbs and they need sorting. Apparently its a bit of a pro job and you need to use a sonic cleaning device to unblock the jets. On the other hand, my mate said that he once made a carb cleaning device from a tupperware box and an orbital sander....

Me, I've bought some second hand carbs from e-bay which i am going to fit when the weather gets a bit warmer. £70

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2012, 11:14:55 pm »
this stuff is meant to be good for carb icing. but its sounds like your bike might just need a good service
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-809-silkolene-pro-fst-fuel-system-treatment-for-petrol-engines.aspx

bikerboys

• Weekend Warrior
  • full licenses don't come in cornflake packets!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 February 2012, 11:33:05 pm »
Excellent video for people wondering what carb icing is and it happens!

http://youtu.be/wZG_sdWuydU
full licenses don't come in cornflake packets!

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 February 2012, 03:13:21 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, im fairly certain it probably needs a bit more TLC. Haven't had it long so still finding out the occasional quirk :P