Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:05 am

Author Topic: Sump Plug Thread Size  (Read 7554 times)

cybercarl

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Sump Plug Thread Size
« on: 08 February 2012, 08:24:52 pm »
Love the new site, so much faster and smoother.

OK quick question. I have stupidly overtightened the sump plug and stripped the thread, ye ye I know.

I am thinking of purchasing a sump plug repair kit rather than bodging it. The type of kit I am thinking of is one of those Bergen kits with the oversize tap and half dozen oversize plugs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sump-Plug-Repair-Kit-M15-Fix-Kit-Oil-Drain-Garage-Tools-/230735090191?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35b8e2120f

Could someone confirm to me what size kit I need? I have been led to believe it's the M15 1.5. Is this correct? My bike is a 2000 FZS600. Has anyone had any experience using these kits before?

Thanks in advance folks
(:-})

dogruff

• CBT Wobbler
  • Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Sump Plug Thread Size
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2012, 07:21:07 am »
Had this happen to a mate of mine a few years back,I'd just fitted a new clutch to his CBR600 and left him to finish the job by replacing the oil and filter.He ended up doing the same thing,except he broke a piece off the sump.Fortunately a neighbour worked in Bombardier Aerospace and managed to get it alloy welded for him.Mighty fine job it was too!That's the advantage of living in NI,you can still  get most things done for a pint.
  I think what you are talking about is a Helicoil type kit,but to be honest if you over-tightened the sump,then helicoil is an even more difficult job.As far as i'm aware the hole has to be drilled oversize to allow the helicoil insert to fit,This means a bit of minor engineering unless you have a good eye.a steady hand and a good drill with bits.
Either way the sump has to come off.Unless someone on the forum can do it for you,it sounds like a job best left to a pro.It would be cheaper to buy a sump off fleabay.Think i seen one recently for around £25.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2012, 07:36:19 pm »
The original sump plug is M14 x 1.5mm pitch.
The kit you show at M15 x1.5 would need a tapping hole size of 13.70mm dia.
Since the hole in the sump left by the stripped thread will already be slightly larger than that, at about 14mm, you would end up with a weak thread.
I don't think there is enough metal there to go to M16 and still have a decent sealing face. My suggestions in order of preference are :-
1) :) Do has dogruff says and replace the sump. I think you can take the sump of with the engine in place. An advert for one in the for sale and wanted section on here may turn one up sharpish. You will probably need a new gasket.
2) :\ Fit an M14 Helicoil type insert. M14 x 1.5 is a non preferred size in engineering but you could use the very common spark plug size of M14 x 1.25 pitch. You would need a new drain plug or make one from a spark plug. You would still need to take the sump off as the frame tube stops you doing any drilling or tapping, plus you don't want any swarf in there anyway.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2012, 07:54:47 pm »
I see you can get inserts for M14 x 1.5 pitch if you want to go that route.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thread-Repair-kit-Helicoil-Inserts-M14-x-1-5-14-mm-1-5D-/180750604181?pt=UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item2a15935795  you will also need a 14.4mm dia drill. May get a kit with less inserts a bit cheaper than this.
I still think a replacement sump will be the easiest and cheapest.

born to be mild

• Weekend Warrior
  • I am not a number, I am a free man.
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Speedtriple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2012, 05:44:17 pm »
You could probably either braze or araldite the old plug back in the sump as a temporary fix while another sump comes up on ebay.

edc

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2012, 11:38:22 am »
Top tip and a warning to all!

DON'T attempt to fit a Hein Gerike M14x1.5 magnetic drain plug.  :stop [size=78%] Especially if it's the first time you've done an oil change yourself.[/size]

The thread is only a couple of turns on it and after just nipping it up it stripped the thread on my sump!  :o [size=78%] Agreed, it might have been OK if the torque wrench actually fit on the plug...  Which leads me to rant at the foccers, that designed the foccer, and put the frame right in the way of the most important plugs which also has the most catastrophic consequences if tightened too much![/size] :grumble

Good news though was that the original plug is much longer and a lot of the tread on the sump was OK still - so a big sigh of relief.

Ye be warned!!!

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2012, 07:28:38 pm »
when i did my first oil change on my vfr i had a big suprise,the garage who i bought off used a m10 bolt where the correct size is m12,the thread was not damaged and a sump plug from honda was less than £2,considering i rode the bike over 100 miles to get home im suprised it did not fall out,i had to use some ptfe tape so i could get home and the plug stayed put ok,and the bike was not used again till i had a new sump plug