willow 0310

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: 03 April 2015, 04:35:52 pm »
Hi

Just thought I'd say hello via the site. I have just bought a 2000 model FZS 600 a bike which I have never ridden only sat on!

However, I have had experience of the engine in other guises and due to a back problem I no longer wanted pure sports bike geometry so took the plunge.

Just a couple of quick questions if anyone can help

1. Is there still a seat cowl available for the FZS and if not, does anyone know of an alternative that would fit?

2. I've been told that the valve clearance check was extended to 24k for the 2000 onward bikes. Is this true/wise?

The bike I've bought has only 14000k on the clock.

Looking forward to speaking with you all.

Willow

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2015, 06:45:05 pm »
hi willow..

sounds like you got a new bike there , get some pics up here,,oh and welcome to the site.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2015, 08:46:02 am »
Hi

Just thought I'd say hello via the site. I have just bought a 2000 model FZS 600 a bike which I have never ridden only sat on!

However, I have had experience of the engine in other guises and due to a back problem I no longer wanted pure sports bike geometry so took the plunge.

Just a couple of quick questions if anyone can help

1. Is there still a seat cowl available for the FZS and if not, does anyone know of an alternative that would fit?

2. I've been told that the valve clearance check was extended to 24k for the 2000 onward bikes. Is this true/wise?

The bike I've bought has only 14000k on the clock.

Looking forward to speaking with you all.

Willow
Welcome1
To answer Q2--the engine is the same in yours as in later models. Yamaha revised the service schedule so 24000 miles is soon enough for the valve check.
Some foccers would even extend that mileage but if you are handy with the tools its an easy enough job. enjoy!