Date: 30-04-24  Time: 10:16 am

Author Topic: Clutch won't disengage after removing sprocket cover  (Read 1686 times)

white.rhino

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Clutch won't disengage after removing sprocket cover
« on: 05 March 2013, 06:40:13 pm »
Hi all

I took my front sprocket cover off today to firstly check if I actually still had a front sprocket nut (I do!), and secondly to clean all the gunge out of there (it was disturbingly messy - grease, a few rocks etc).

After putting everything back together, I seem to have a clutch adjustment-related problem. When I pull the clutch lever in, it doesn't disengage - i.e. put it into 1st gear on the centre-stand and the wheel starts going.

The only thing I can think of that's changed is that I've chucked the gasket for the sprocket cover - it was wrecked when I took it off, and it doesn't do much anyway. Will order a new one in due course anyway...

I have tried adjusting the clutch cable (at the sprocket end) to no avail - I can get it to the point where it's so tight that I can't even pull the lever in all the way. Even then, the wheel still spins with the clutch pulled in.

Any thoughts? I need the bike in the morning... didn't think I'd manage to mess anything up doing something so simple (apparently)  :rollin

Cheers
Jon

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch won't disengage after removing sprocket cover
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2013, 07:02:20 pm »
Was it all working before you took the cover off? Did you take the push rod out because there's a little metal ball at the end of it that's easy to lose?

white.rhino

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2013, 07:05:24 pm »
Yep it was all 100% before I took the cover off.

I did take the push rod out... A little ball you say?  :\ I don't recall seeing a little ball, which is probably a bad sign. I will go have another look now.

JodyWheelieschool

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2013, 07:08:44 pm »
Double check that the clutch cable is routed down the frame properly and more importantly, seated properly in it's holder down on the sprocket cover... If it isn't seated properly, it will be causing these symptoms!

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2013, 07:13:28 pm »
Double check that the clutch cable is routed down the frame properly and more importantly, seated properly in it's holder down on the sprocket cover... If it isn't seated properly, it will be causing these symptoms!

good point. you'll probably have to take the cover off again to reposition it and adjust the cable back to where it was so you can check if the ball is there at the same time. sometimes it stays in the engine when you take the push rod out so just because you didn't see it the first time doesn't mean its not there

Jacko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2013, 07:21:21 pm »
The wheel generally spins a bit even with clutch in.
Sent from my pants - using talkingbollocks

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2013, 07:27:06 pm »
Cable sheath slips out when you take off the sprocket cover and if it is not seated properly when you replace the cover it can cause the problem. Just check the cable is seated properly and if not just reseat it.

white.rhino

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 March 2013, 08:01:46 pm »
Thanks for your help everyone - I double-checked everything and put it all back together.

Just went for a ride and did a few fine adjustments to the clutch. Everything seems back to normal!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 March 2013, 09:10:49 pm »
The wheel generally spins a bit even with clutch in.

as jacko has stated .......can stop it with gentle hand pressure  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....