Date: 03-05-24  Time: 13:01 pm

Author Topic: Shoei Quest Helmet  (Read 2397 times)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Shoei Quest Helmet
« on: 02 October 2012, 10:56:27 am »
I've finally found a helmet that ticks all my boxes, pinlock, double D and fits with my glasses, it's a bit more expensive than I had hoped to pay, but  it fits well and works on the 3 levels above so I'm happy.  I've not bought it as yet, thought I would do some asking around first.

I know it's all subjective, but what are peoples' general views (if any) on this helmet?

Noise, leaks, comfort, durability etc etc?

Cheers
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Shoei Quest Helmet
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2012, 11:01:46 am »
I'm glad you posted this as I was considering one of those. I didn't realise they had double D  though, I thought Shoei preferred the seatbelt type fastening (as do I) so that's put me off buying one now.

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2012, 02:01:39 pm »
I've had one for a couple of years & it's a very good helmet.

Usual high Shoei quality, great ventilation, comfort & visibility, the only downside is that it's definitely noisier than the XR1000 I replaced, but if riding out of town I always wear earplugs anyway so not really much of an issue for me.

I also wear glasses & have no problems with them.

It does have double D fastening, but to be honest I find that no more fiddly than the seatbelt type.

All that said, the GF bought me a Schuberth S2 for my birthday in May  :) & that is the best helmet I've ever worn, but then again it is £150 more expensive!  So I really only use the Shoei around town these days, or if I need to use my Scala bluetooth headset, as due to the position of the sun visor control, that will only mount on the S2 if you glue it on.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2012, 06:54:00 pm »
Ive got a schuberth s2 like pat, nice and quiet, but............................

Pat-you had any issues with it yet?, i had a pressure point right in the centre of my forehead at the hair line, absolutely excrutiating, was only starting to hurt after 50 miles then i was soon stopping to rip it off or grabbing the chin piece and wiggling to try release the pressure,

Trouble is it was perfectly comfy in the shop plus on small runs,

In the end i think it has finally sorted itself out and just needed wearing in but took about 1000 miles to do so
But i havent had a big run yet to test it out.fingers crossed coz it was focin expensive!
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2012, 07:02:56 pm »
I had two Shoei's with the seatbelt fitting.

I then moved to an Arai a few years ago.  It's a DD fitting.  I hated it at first, but after a wee while you get used to it.  So don't let the DD fitting put you off Rusty.

What I can't get used to is Arai's visor system.  It is absolutely crap compared to Shoei.

NotAnotherHill

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda Fireblade 900 RRV 1998
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2012, 07:22:26 pm »
I've had my Shoei Qwest for about 12 months. Light, comfortable and I wear specs. I wear ear plugs whenever I ride so can't comment on noise without. DD fastening and pinlock. Thoroughly recommend.

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2012, 11:05:45 pm »
Not tried a Quest, but I've had a couple of Shoei helmets over the years and currently have one of their flip-fronts. I can do nothing except sing the praises of Shoei, for design, quality, comfort, noise and weight. The Pinlock system's brilliant!

As for the Double-D, I much prefer it to the seatbelt fastener.
« Last Edit: 02 October 2012, 11:06:22 pm by MadDogMcQ »
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 October 2012, 02:09:51 am »
Ive got a schuberth s2 like pat, nice and quiet, but............................

Pat-you had any issues with it yet?, i had a pressure point right in the centre of my forehead at the hair line, absolutely excrutiating, was only starting to hurt after 50 miles then i was soon stopping to rip it off or grabbing the chin piece and wiggling to try release the pressure,

Trouble is it was perfectly comfy in the shop plus on small runs,

In the end i think it has finally sorted itself out and just needed wearing in but took about 1000 miles to do so
But i havent had a big run yet to test it out.fingers crossed coz it was focin expensive!

No, nothing like that at all.  In fact I got it just before my Alps trip in July  & that entailed riding for up to 500 miles a day, the only thing I noticed was it did seem a little snug around the cheeks,  I believe they do sell thinner cheek pads, but it's not  bad enough for me to bother with.

I do however recall having something similar to your situation happen to me when I bought a Shoei about 15 years ago, if I recall correctly I resolved it by just gently pressing in the polystyrene at the tight point by a couple of mill.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 October 2012, 11:03:53 am »
Well, I bit the bullet and bought a Shoei Quest.  First thoughts:

Wow, didn't my old helmet fit badly????

It feels much lighter than my old helmet (Laser Fiber D1)

The pinlock is higher up the visor meaning I have perfect vision rather than the top of the pin lock obscuring part of my view.

It's quieter

The ventilation is great, especially the one in front of my mouth, it pushes a blast of air up and over my face, clearing my glasses in seconds, I'm liking that a lot.

It's comfortable.

Small minor downside, there is a leaver to lock the visor in position.  What I didn't know is that the visor doesn't form a complete seal unless this lock is engaged.  Above 40mph with the lock disengaged I get a slight whistle through the visor.  With the lock in place it's quiet as a mouse.  I'm sure I'll get used to it.  It's fine for long journeys where you are constantly moving, but a pain when commuting and you want to raise your visor on the slower sections.

Over all, a week in and I'm happy.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #9 on: 18 October 2012, 02:42:02 pm »
i swapped from Arai Quantum-e to a Shoei X-spirit2 earlier this year and totally agree that it is so much lighter and more comfortable but saying that the Arai was bought in '96 so probably was past its best (plus it hadn't been worn for 10 years!)

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

donkey93

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 October 2012, 08:39:34 pm »
[size=78%] [/size]
Small minor downside, there is a leaver to lock the visor in position.  What I didn't know is that the visor doesn't form a complete seal unless this lock is engaged.  Above 40mph with the lock disengaged I get a slight whistle through the visor.  With the lock in place it's quiet as a mouse.  I'm sure I'll get used to it.  It's fine for long journeys where you are constantly moving, but a pain when commuting and you want to raise your visor on the slower sections.

Over all, a week in and I'm happy.

the lever on the side has 3 positions middle does nothing you can open the visor and it should seal properly move it forward and it should open a small amount which will whistle at higher speeds and move it backwards to lock the visor   

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 October 2012, 08:07:54 pm »
Cheers Donkey, you are a bigger man than me because you've obviously read the bloody instructions!  :o
You are a gent and a scholar, I would have gone for years locking the visor every trip, can't wait to try the second position tomorrow on my commute.  If it's true, I'm now 100% satisfied with my new purchase  :)

Another focing good tip from this site.