Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
forks
« on: 20 August 2017, 07:31:58 pm »
Whats the most I can drop yokes? Ive gone 12mm so far and would like to try a bit more. Fitting adjustable dog bones next week but until then will do it on the front.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: forks
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2017, 06:33:06 am »
I would wait until you fit the new dog bones. From my experience the shorter the dogbones the less you want to have the yoke dropped. When I had a 25mm Jack-up kit I was happy with the yoke dropped about ~15mm down the forks, when I fitted shorter dogbones (50mm kit) I had to put the yoke back up as the bike was reluctant to tuck into corners.

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2017, 07:41:31 am »

Thanks PieEater

Must admit the 12mm made a big difference to stock and still holds a corner and stability.
I'm hopping to get R1 forks in a few months and they will be 35mm lower than fzs so would like to simulate this.
That is the worst if I can get an R1 stem made it will gain me 11mm  ( 35mm - 11mm = 24mm lower ) as I have 12mm at the moment it will be 12mm lower at front than it is now.
Just not sure if I can drop front on standard forks 24mm without issues hence the question.
Or I could drop yokes to 24mm measure fork angle, put back to 12mm at yoke and then adjust back to get the angle again without height.

Des

I would wait until you fit the new dog bones. From my experience the shorter the dogbones the less you want to have the yoke dropped. When I had a 25mm Jack-up kit I was happy with the yoke dropped about ~15mm down the forks, when I fitted shorter dogbones (50mm kit) I had to put the yoke back up as the bike was reluctant to tuck into corners.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2017, 07:56:51 am »
I recently sold my R1 converted Fazer and got another with std forks.  I have pulled the forks up the yokes 25mm and it is much better than standard for me.  You can get them further up but at some point they will touch the handlebars depending on how much preload you have on.

On my R1 fork conversion I also cut 12mm extra thread on the stem and cut the last 12mm off rather than make a top hat spacer.  The only difference then is the handlebars are 12mm lower than the more conventional conversion.  I ended up pulling the R1 forks 10mm up anyway to get it a little lower.
Intentionally left blank

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2017, 11:17:34 am »

Thanks for reply's

Will have a play later today/tomorrow dependent on weather :-(
Next will be with dog bones.