Date: 28-04-24  Time: 06:35 am

Author Topic: Buzzing footpegs?  (Read 1566 times)

Morganinaboat

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Buzzing footpegs?
« on: 23 May 2015, 03:59:50 pm »
The guy whom I bought the bike from has these tiny little drilled foot pegs front and rear.  No rubber on them at all.  Once I hit about 5-6k on the tach the vibrations in the pegs become obnoxious.  Will swapping them out for the OEM type pegs with rubber dampen this at all?  If so - how tricky is it to replace them?  Thanks.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Buzzing footpegs?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2015, 04:01:31 pm »
Does your centre stand have the rubber bung on it?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Morganinaboat

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2015, 06:01:42 pm »
I don't recall.  Haven't looked. Where would it be on there?  Sorry for the dumb question - still learning the bike.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2015, 06:48:31 pm »
Like a rubber doorstop on the stand, it's there to stop vibration through the exhaust.
I'd give the engine mounting bolts a quick check too, make sure they're okay and torqued up correctly.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2015, 09:14:09 pm »
OEM ones will probably improve the situations - these bikes do have some vibes in the rev range you describe.

If you dont know when the carbs were last balanced I would think about doing that as well - it helps to smooth the vibes out, and they only need to be out a bit for the vibes to get worse.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2015, 11:07:32 pm »
regards replacing for OEM, i had the nearside hanger off to get the pegs off to put a new gear shift lever on...

The HEX bolt was tight as hell but with a vice and some heat from camping gas torch it started to undo, not sure if you will have issues if they have been changed as mine had not been touched since production...

Have not taken the offside hanger off but the foot peg is still held in place via a HEX bolt throught the hanger into the back of it, also you will have the rear brake light switch and read brake master cylinder to deal with....?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2015, 02:47:56 pm »
regards replacing for OEM, i had the nearside hanger off to get the pegs off to put a new gear shift lever on...

The HEX bolt was tight as hell but with a vice and some heat from camping gas torch it started to undo, not sure if you will have issues if they have been changed as mine had not been touched since production...

Have not taken the offside hanger off but the foot peg is still held in place via a HEX bolt throught the hanger into the back of it, also you will have the rear brake light switch and read brake master cylinder to deal with....?

Yes I took mine off to give a polishing mop treatment on a bench grinder/mop and it was as tight as hell - maybe something to do with the blue thread lock that was on it too, but if yours already have been swapped then it should be easier to get off unless they have been put back PROPERLY -- ie as tight as hell and with threadlock.
Not sure if it helps but I have OEM ones and have no vibes through them
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.