Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:51 pm

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1585955 times)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #8575 on: 16 March 2021, 08:30:08 am »
I took a look in carb #4, to see the remaining bit of snapped off bolt seized.

Fairly common that on a lot of carb bikes.  They mostly have never been removed since the day they were assembled and crab bikes are getting on now.  Another simple fix is to cut two stainless (SS) rods to correct length, thread each end and like you use domed SS nuts with a dab of nut lock. No issues with them coming undone or vibrating, cost little more but won't corrode, done it that way a good few times. 

Later

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8576 on: 17 March 2021, 05:41:53 pm »
Nipped out on the bike to renew my licence, 3 miles there, 3 back. All went smoothly at the local post office. When i eventually found it. I pulled up in front of the building, got off the bike and walked towards the door, big sign on it belonging to an accountancy firm. Embarrassing. Had to ask a passer by where the post office had moved too. Turns it it moved 15 years ago, she looked puzzled cos its where its always been for her.

Better ride than the one yesterday to the filling station and back (the very long way around), first ride out since the mot several weeks ago, co-ordination between throttle/clutch/ gearbox out of timing, very rusty riding. Need to get out more

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8577 on: 17 March 2021, 06:45:59 pm »
Nice.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8578 on: 26 March 2021, 11:56:57 am »
Had a visit from the mobile tyre fitting guy, so with a new rear Metzeler fitted, I should hopefully be set for another year of fun and frolics. Still waiting for the clutch cover to come back from powder coat, so haven't been able to progress much since installing the black finished footpegs, other than a general brake clean and rubber grease. Can't say I'm looking forward to pressing in the new clutch rod bearing though.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8579 on: 31 March 2021, 05:46:40 pm »
Gave it a wash and brush-up (lots of dust, cobwebs and cats' paw prints on it from sitting in the shed for a few months).

Then gave it a check over for the MOT tomorrow (well, it was due last June 25th, so I figured it was about time... :D )

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8580 on: 01 April 2021, 04:50:56 pm »
Took it in for the MOT and it passed with no problems.

The only "issue" was that, as I expected, I needed to readjust the headlamp aim because of the new fork springs, but a couple of minutes with a socket wrench and everything was pointing in the right directions.

Then went out for a 70 mile ride to get back in practice and enjoy the nice weather (I wasn't the only biker out there either :thumbup )

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8581 on: 05 April 2021, 06:56:59 pm »
Fitted the l/h footrest hangars after my first attempt at polishing  :eek

R/h side next week.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2021, 06:58:29 pm by fazerscotty »

fatbloke62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8582 on: 07 April 2021, 12:52:29 pm »
Took it for it's mot today,  passed without any issues, shame it was so cold i really didn't enjoy the run out

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8583 on: 07 April 2021, 02:48:31 pm »
Got snapped on the way back from Willingham Woods

FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8584 on: 07 April 2021, 08:02:47 pm »
Cool :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

bald_pig

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8585 on: 13 April 2021, 01:23:42 am »
Replaced the seized rear caliper with a blue spot, and also treated her to a new braided hose, xjr caliper brace, and disc! Will grab a pic tomorrow after she's had a clean

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8586 on: 13 April 2021, 11:18:36 am »
Noice.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8587 on: 13 April 2021, 09:35:19 pm »
First time out in about 6 weeks. Partly down to lockdown or the weather not being able to string together 2 hours of decent weather or when it has I have not had the time to go out. Many cobwebs were blown on a 70 mile spin and a smile was fully restored. :D
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8588 on: 14 April 2021, 06:36:21 am »
great to get out Mr sharpie  :thumbup ...you beat my 50 mile bimble, will have to see if i can better that tomorrow...weather permitting  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8589 on: 14 April 2021, 08:28:29 am »
While bikes stripped, just ordered an Ivan MB kit from the main man himself £126.00, hope I don't get stung for any import taxes, shows on HMRC site, as long as it's under £135 I should be ok, fingers crossed, it's pricey enough at £126 ...

Fazer 1000's in desperate need of an engine refurb  :'( 2003 silver motor with flaking paint ... Oh what joy "NOT".
Stripped everything off, wire brushed the shite paint Yamaha sought fit to use, a good scrub down with a red scotchbrite.
Just on with masking up.
I was gunna use VHT engine paint, but it's all Mat stuff & heard a few horror stories it's not all it claims to be.

I've used aerosol Smooth Silver Hammerite before on engine casings with success, gorra be better than the crap Yamaha used on silver motors.
Anyone painted a full motor in Smooth Silver Hammerite, if so, how did it cope with engine heat cycles?

Have a good day boys, get out on ya bike while suns out if poss...  :thumbup

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8590 on: 14 April 2021, 09:30:44 am »
Anyone painted a full motor in Smooth Silver Hammerite, if so, how did it cope with engine heat cycles?
I'm not a painter, but afaik smoothright (all Hammerite paints) are designed for ferrous metals, its a primer, mid & top coat all in one. So someone will correct me if wrong, but I think you would have to use etch primer (because aluminium) first then the smoothright after. But that said i don't believe smoothright has any temp rating?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8591 on: 14 April 2021, 10:18:57 am »
I'm not a painter, but afaik smoothright (all Hammerite paints) are designed for ferrous metals, its a primer, mid & top coat all in one. So someone will correct me if wrong, but I think you would have to use etch primer (because aluminium) first then the smoothright after. But that said i don't believe smoothright has any temp rating?

Correct :)

If you want a lasting finish, you need an enamel.  Dupli Colour and Simoniz are good it's the colour matching that can be an issue, if you only spray a casing etc.  You've also got to ensure the prep is thorough, ideally soda blasted, primered and then top colour and baked, or it will start peeling inside a year if used regularly less in salt. 

Oh and don't use the clear lacquers over the colour.  ;) Don't say I didn't tell you.
Later

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8592 on: 15 April 2021, 03:41:15 pm »
While bikes stripped, just ordered an Ivan MB kit from the main man himself £126.00, hope I don't get stung for any import taxes, shows on HMRC site, as long as it's under £135 I should be ok, fingers crossed, it's pricey enough at £126 ...

Fazer 1000's in desperate need of an engine refurb  :'( 2003 silver motor with flaking paint ... Oh what joy "NOT".
Stripped everything off, wire brushed the shite paint Yamaha sought fit to use, a good scrub down with a red scotchbrite.
Just on with masking up.
I was gunna use VHT engine paint, but it's all Mat stuff & heard a few horror stories it's not all it claims to be.

I've used aerosol Smooth Silver Hammerite before on engine casings with success, gorra be better than the crap Yamaha used on silver motors.

Have a good day boys, get out on ya bike while suns out if poss...  :thumbup

Hammerite do a "special metals primer" that you would probably have to use, although as far as I know it only comes in a tin for brush application.
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8593 on: 15 April 2021, 08:59:55 pm »
I went out for a Check Ride with one of our local IAM Group's Observers today.

I'm pleased to say that, although I was a little bit rusty because of lack of riding over the past year, there were no massive errors and he was very complimentary on my smoothness and observation  :thumbup

[/smug mode] 

:D

bald_pig

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8594 on: 15 April 2021, 09:50:57 pm »
Replaced the seized rear caliper with a blue spot, and also treated her to a new braided hose, xjr caliper brace, and disc! Will grab a pic tomorrow after she's had a clean

A touch later than I hoped, but managed to grab a piccy between showers!

sparky88

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8595 on: 16 April 2021, 04:00:01 pm »
Giving it it's first run out since getting it Wednesday and after it has been laid up since 2007, only 4400 on clock! now 4600, lovely day on the North Coast of Northern Ireland.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8596 on: 16 April 2021, 04:18:00 pm »
 Hi Sparky, lovely bike. Is that Ballintoy Harbour?

sparky88

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8597 on: 16 April 2021, 05:37:19 pm »
Just in from my first run out round the coast, bike is a 99 Fazer with only 4400 miles on the clock and had been laid up since 2007, someone has previously tried to restore some of the cosmetics leading to some loss of lacquer and paint on engine casings not done too well but absolutely excellent mechanically, getting shot of a woeful alarm and a little work with seat should serve well. Done more miles today than first owner did in his first year of ownership. Photos taken at Ballintoy.

[Edited to fix the tiny font problem! - GrahamM - Moderator]
« Last Edit: 16 April 2021, 09:11:24 pm by Grahamm »

sparky88

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8598 on: 16 April 2021, 05:46:48 pm »
Hi Sparky, lovely bike. Is that Ballintoy Harbour?
Yes Vinny had a day off and took it out for first run since getting it Wednesday, good job I know a wee bit more about bikes than posting on this website! all the best Sparky.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8599 on: 16 April 2021, 06:51:17 pm »
  :lol They are brilliant bikes. Ballintoy is such a beautiful place and so peaceful, although it's a bit of a ride down to it. Done the tourist trail along to Coastal Causeway road, Dunluce Castle, Carrick-A-Reede, The Giant's Causeway (the free way via the hundreds of steps) Mussenden temple etc. The wife has family in Portstewart so we've been over a few times. It's a lovely country and so friendly, we keep talking about moving across there. I'll keep my eyes open for you next time we're across. hopefully later this year.