Date: 20-05-24  Time: 07:24 am

Author Topic: New Rider, First Bike  (Read 960 times)

Bullet00th

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
New Rider, First Bike
« on: 07 April 2015, 01:15:46 pm »
Hi everyone, passed my test last month and just bought 2000 Fazer 600. It's got 40k with little to none service history. Is there anything I should be looking out for around this age? Thank you in advance. Matt

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: New Rider, First Bike
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2015, 04:15:23 pm »

Welcome & congrats on test pass!
A good starting point would be to get a copy of the Haynes manual which has the service schedule  included.
You have to remember that however good the bike appears cared for its still 15 years old and will benefit from a systematic approach.
I would start with oil, oil filter,check condition of air filter, plugs, brake fluid change & check pads/hoses/seals. Also change coolant & check condition of hoses, clips etc. Tyre condition/pressures. Chain adjustment & lube.
Known weak spots on the Fazers are the front sprocket nut-check prev posts on forum on this subject and corrosion of exhaust studs/nuts & centre stand.
Ask questions someone will have the answer! :lol

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2015, 05:45:52 pm »
congrats on passing your test and welcome to the forum.

As above, a good service will help you get to know the bike and reveal any work which might need done.  :)

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Bullet00th

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2015, 09:53:48 pm »
Thank you for your replies and advice, do you recommend a good place to get service parts from?  Looking forward to getting it stripped down, cleaned and serviced :)