Date: 27-04-24  Time: 17:37 pm

Author Topic: Tail Light LED Upgrade  (Read 928 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Tail Light LED Upgrade
« on: 22 October 2022, 02:24:50 pm »
Got bored with the LED tail light with built in indicators, so decided to refit the OEM tail light and upgrade the lights inside to LED.

I'm very happy with the results, and it only cost £10 too.  :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153184534546?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=tkJVPlaFRNK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=5jvij9unSpS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=WHATS_APP
« Last Edit: 22 October 2022, 02:26:57 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
Re: Tail Light LED Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2022, 06:42:08 am »
Just fitted these exact bulbs, very happy with them!
I also fitted a small led number plate light, drilled through the bottom of the light housing to feed the wires through... Just to keep MOT man happy...
To become old and wise you have to have been young and stupid......

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2022, 07:15:14 pm »
I also fitted a small led number plate light, drilled through the bottom of the light housing to feed the wires through... Just to keep MOT man happy...

I'm very happy with them, they are very bright.

I'm getting conflicting info about needing the plate lit up, but according to this website it's not necessary, although these LED's do light up the plate anyway, albeit with a red tint. There is a clear plastic window underneath the tail light (as shown in my above photo for people that have never looked), so as long as you have lights in there the plate will always be lit up from them once they are turned on at night.

https://www.newreg.co.uk/blog/does-a-motorcycle-need-a-number-plate-light/
« Last Edit: 18 November 2022, 05:00:41 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2022, 06:31:16 am »

I'm very happy with them, they are very bright.

I'm getting conflicting info about needing the plate lit up, but according to this website it's not necessary, although these LED's do light up the plate anyway, albeit with a red tint. There is a clear plastic window underneath the tail light (as shown in my above photo for people that have never looked), so as long as you have lights in there the plate will always be lit up from them once they are turned on at night.

https://www.newreg.co.uk/blog/does-a-motorcycle-need-a-number-plate-light/

Agreed, found lots of conflicting discussions too. Gov web site says---  no mention of light colour so you should be ok, just fancied fitting a separate light anyway   :)

4.7. Rear registration plate lamp,[/color]Hidethis section[/color][/font]

[/size]4.7.1. Presence, condition and operationYou must inspect all motorcycles fitted with front and rear position lamps.
The rear registration plate must be lit. Most motorcycles will light the registration plate with a rear position lamp, but some will use a separate registration plate lamp.
Some registration plate lamps may be fitted behind the number plate.
Some mopeds might not have a registration plate lamp.
To become old and wise you have to have been young and stupid......