Date: 28-04-24  Time: 11:40 am

Author Topic: Peculiar 'chuffing' noise.  (Read 5648 times)

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Peculiar 'chuffing' noise.
« Reply #25 on: 27 July 2016, 02:06:46 pm »
FWIW,  I recently changed to Avon Storm 3D XM from Storm ST's, straight after there first outing back in my garage when I clean the chain & re oil it, the tyre was rubbing ever so slightly on the hugger in one spot only, with chuffing noise. Following day after spinning the wheel the noise had gone, after the tyre had lost its heat.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 July 2016, 10:56:08 pm »
Bugger, it ain't the hugger!

Did about 200 miles, and once everything was thoroughly up to temp., here was the noise again, every bit as loud as before.  :\
I'm just going to stop worrying about it as whatever it is doesn't seem to affect how the bike rides in any way. Chances are, it's that tight spot in the chain, or pad noise or something. That stuff is all going to need doing soon anyway, so I'll see what happens then.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Peculiar 'chuffing' noise.
« Reply #27 on: 28 July 2016, 05:14:06 pm »
I think it's worth mentioning that when I changed from my maxxis tyres to PR4's I got the exact same noise you describe at about 30mph as well. It seemed to be coming more from the front end of the bike on mine (I have an open face helmet so it makes pinpointing a noise at speed a bit easier).

In the end I put it down to the tread pattern of the front tyre, and it has (I think anyway) gone away as the tyre has worn so i reckon Bbrown has hit the nail on the head with the front tyre tread guess, I'm 99% that's what the chuffing noise was on mine anyway.
« Last Edit: 28 July 2016, 05:15:39 pm by mickvp »

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 July 2016, 06:00:50 pm »
Is it possible the rubber chain guide has worn through the rubber to the plastic.
If it's broken, it's not fixed.