Date: 25-04-24  Time: 06:11 am

Author Topic: Limescale on barrels water pipes  (Read 801 times)

fazerbcn

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Limescale on barrels water pipes
« on: 11 December 2021, 08:46:16 pm »
As part of my nightmare of coolant system, I have ended with the water pipes from the barrel removed, repainted, and now coming back to place, but realised that a lot of limescale (mixed with the rust of the old metal pipes of my bike) has behind left on the wall of the barrel.

You can see the level of limescale on here:

Does anybody know of a good way of removing it?

Should it be good to go with new O-ring a proper greased? (I am thinking going this way, to avoid doing more bad than good, and in the hope that it will not end worst than it was before I started the works... And I can always remove it again and put new O-rings again...

Thanks a lot in advance,

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: Limescale on barrels water pipes
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2021, 11:30:50 pm »
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but its more than likely road salt and/or other road grime that has dried on the front of the hot engine. That said if the privious owner has used tap water instead of coolant or distilled water than I guess its potentially possible.

fazerbcn

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Limescale on barrels water pipes
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2021, 07:14:44 am »
Thanks, no previous owner, just me trusting blindly the mechanic, and specially last pandemic year mostly standing outside with almost no use... I have decided to take care of it myself from now on...

Learned the hard way, and now with new downpipes, rebuilt all coolant pipes, silicone hoses, new pressure clips, all new set of O-rings prepared to fit (even thermostat, that may be needing a new housing...), and specially a roof to give the bike some shelter, I am in the hope of at least a few years more without incidents...

On the barrel adaptor (solidified to the almost died metal pipe, that may be requiring some work soon), I used some limescale remover (but made mistake of submerging into soapy warm water, and lost finish), and was able to remove all of it, but I don't see how to do it on the barrels without risking barrel flat finish (if using sharp tool), or final cleanup (if using some product). I can always find a second hand adaptor, but I don't see me changing barrels...

Question was more about what to do with it, to fit the adapter directly with new O-rings properly greased, or try to do something about it, I reckon that it will always be better than it was even if left as it is right now...

Thanks a lot for the response,