Date: 16-04-24  Time: 19:33 pm

Author Topic: What are you going to do with your Fazer this winter...?  (Read 6982 times)

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: What are you going to do with your Fazer this winter...?
« Reply #25 on: 08 January 2022, 05:57:31 pm »
Other than ride it whenever possible got a few jobs on the back burner, from changing the handlebar grips to greasing the swing arm and rear suspension linkages, let's see if I get them all done this winter
*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄

wraith600

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 June 2022, 02:41:22 am »
try to put the thing back together
follow me and ile show you were to crash

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,484.msg2583.html#msg2583

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 July 2022, 02:58:10 pm »
Clutch cable shouldn't really be lubed.
I just fitted a Slinky Glide clutch cable from Wemoto, and it feels very light and smooth. Plus I sprayed a load of grease into the clutch cable housing too while it was off, which no doubt helped things a bit as well.

Just an update on the Slinky Glide clutch cable, it lasted 7 months.
For the last month or so I had to keep adjusting it, then after a couple of times of adjusting it from the bottom end as well I realised that it had had enough when the top adjuster had no more to give.
Bear in mind these cables cost under a tenner, and an OEM one cost me £55, which I fitted this morning, but even still I would've expected it to last a bit longer than that.
It started off feeling a bit stiffer than it should be so I oiled the cable, which did help, but it was all far too soon, I shouldn't have needed to do that after only a few months.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 July 2022, 05:22:45 pm »
I’ve always bitten the bullet and bought oem cables and brake pads, even though the prices are a real wallet stretcher :'( . The cables I changed purely as a precaution, nothing wrong with them, just didn’t want a failure to spoil any trip I might be on. Buy cheap, buy twice is still relevant I think. Plus the fact the job has to be done twice.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 July 2022, 09:25:07 pm »
I’ve always bitten the bullet and bought oem cables and brake pads, even though the prices are a real wallet stretcher :'( . The cables I changed purely as a precaution, nothing wrong with them, just didn’t want a failure to spoil any trip I might be on. Buy cheap, buy twice is still relevant I think. Plus the fact the job has to be done twice.

In this case I could've bought 5 times. I know OEM stuff can be overpriced, but it generally is far superior.
At first the Slinky cable felt great, as it should do when new, but performance went 'rapidly' downhill.
Had 2 people ask me straight away if I compared the lengths of each cable out of curiosity, but as I pulled the new one through taped to the old one it wasn't really an option.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 03 July 2022, 10:07:05 am »

As for brake pads, i've used SBS Ceramic on the rear and Galfer on the front for ages, which have both served me very well. But i couldn't find the Galfer pads at a sensible price last time so gave the Street 634HS SBS pads a go for the front after reading advice on here over the years and i must confess i'm liking them a lot so will stick with them from now on. They were even cheaper than the Galfer pads too, which was a nice bonus.  8)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04 July 2022, 04:07:34 pm »
23K miles now so I guess Id better have a look at the valve clearances. But not until winter

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02 September 2022, 12:40:14 pm »
Clutch cable shouldn't really be lubed.
I just fitted a Slinky Glide clutch cable from Wemoto, and it feels very light and smooth. Plus I sprayed a load of grease into the clutch cable housing too while it was off, which no doubt helped things a bit as well.

Just an update on the Slinky Glide clutch cable, it lasted 7 months.
For the last month or so I had to keep adjusting it, then after a couple of times of adjusting it from the bottom end as well I realised that it had had enough when the top adjuster had no more to give.
Bear in mind these cables cost under a tenner, and an OEM one cost me £55, which I fitted this morning, but even still I would've expected it to last a bit longer than that.
It started off feeling a bit stiffer than it should be so I oiled the cable, which did help, but it was all far too soon, I shouldn't have needed to do that after only a few months.

I think it's only fair on people that I should retract the comments about the Slinky Glide clutch cable, as it turned out that my clutch pressure plate was fractured and not performing correctly, causing irregular and random action.
So I basically binned what was probably a good cable.

OEM will always be better, but don't be put off trying out the Slinky Glide cable if you're on a budget.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02 September 2022, 05:13:10 pm »
I once fitted a slinky glide on one of my other bikes, it lasted maybe a month. It was supplied with a plastic ferrule (the sleeve that fits inside the hole in the lever) and it rapidly became chewed up. The original had a metal sleeve and the sleeve was still as new, so I fitted the old sleeve onto the new cable. Basically, the plastic sleeve wasn't fit for purpose.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 September 2022, 05:14:30 pm »
23K miles now so I guess Id better have a look at the valve clearances. But not until winter

and I think i'll add new chain and sprockets too, plus two new tyres in the new year

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 September 2022, 09:35:41 pm »
Ride it  :D

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 September 2022, 10:23:10 pm »
I once fitted a slinky glide on one of my other bikes, it lasted maybe a month. It was supplied with a plastic ferrule (the sleeve that fits inside the hole in the lever) and it rapidly became chewed up. The original had a metal sleeve and the sleeve was still as new, so I fitted the old sleeve onto the new cable. Basically, the plastic sleeve wasn't fit for purpose.

That plastic ferrule caught my eye as well now you said that, and I thought it was a bit odd too as it will have lever pressure constantly pulling on it.
Certainly worth bearing in mind.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02 September 2022, 10:35:24 pm »

and I think i'll add new chain and sprockets too, plus two new tyres in the new year

Funnily enough I was just talking about changing my rear tyre a few minutes ago.
I have a PR4 on at the moment but although I absolutely love the grip and handling of it, this particular tyre has given me nothing but grief from day 1, from leaking rims, a leaking internal patch/plug, and even had trouble when it was being fitted.
I ordered another (from abroad) over a year ago but I accidentally ordered a different model.
In two minds to ask if the shop will do a swap for another PR4 with a bit of cash on top, as I really trust those tyres.
The one I got looks like it'll be fine in wet or dry weather, but not so confident about what it might be like in frosty/icy weather, and I ride all year round so it is a big deal for me.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 03 September 2022, 08:17:29 am »
After my trip to the Bol d’Or later this month it will be time for the valve clearances to be checked again. Whilst the radiator is out I might consider getting it recored, more as a precaution against future failure than anything else. When my rear tyre was fitted in the spring, the company’s new employee managed to damage the powder coating on the rim, so that will be redone at their expense at the same time.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21 September 2022, 04:28:20 pm »

As for brake pads, i've used SBS Ceramic on the rear and Galfer on the front for ages, which have both served me very well. But i couldn't find the Galfer pads at a sensible price last time so gave the Street 634HS SBS pads a go for the front after reading advice on here over the years and i must confess i'm liking them a lot so will stick with them from now on. They were even cheaper than the Galfer pads too, which was a nice bonus.  8)

Little update on the SBS front pads. As a pad, brilliant, in wet or dry, I can't fault them in that respect.
Thing is, I always used to harp on about how good the Galfer pads were and how they lasted ages but at the same time they barely made a mark on the discs, they were extremely disc friendly.
I've had the SBS pads on for just short of 6 months and unfortunately they've very noticeably eaten into my after market discs.
Once I'd cleaned the dirt off the pads they looked like they were brand new, in fact they looked no different to when I took them out of the packet.
I was doing my pre-winter caliper service and my pistons were absolutely fine, so it would seem that the pads are just a harder composite than the discs.
Bit of a shame, 'cos as I said, the pads work brilliantly in all conditions but when compared to the Galfer pads the disc wear is massively different in comparison.
Because I service my calipers once or twice a year it is something I check so I spotted it straight away.
I'll keep an eye on it but I can see me changing them some time next year as pads are much cheaper than discs.
« Last Edit: 01 October 2022, 11:18:13 am by darrsi »

Paul Myrus

• Cager in Training
  • If Carlsberg made Bikes......
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • soundshapesrecordings.
« Reply #40 on: 29 September 2022, 07:43:29 pm »
I have the 05 diamond black S1, Upgrades for 2023, S2 swing arm (black mint cond) "already bought it"
Nitron r3 rear shock for 100kg weight with gear on, 😁 on the way eu delivery, and a pair of Dunlops Q3+'s, oil an filter changed.

An ride it , I'm in Ireland weathers not that bad in the winter.  👍🏽

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 October 2022, 11:26:13 am »

Little update on the SBS front pads. As a pad, brilliant, in wet or dry, I can't fault them in that respect.
Thing is, I always used to harp on about how good the Galfer pads were and how they lasted ages but at the same time they barely made a mark on the discs, they were extremely disc friendly.
I've had the SBS pads on for just short of 6 months and unfortunately they've very noticeably eaten into my after market discs.
Once I'd cleaned the dirt off the pads they looked like they were brand new, in fact they looked no different to when I took them out of the packet.
I was doing my pre-winter caliper service and my pistons were absolutely fine, so it would seem that the pads are just a harder composite than the discs.
Bit of a shame, 'cos as I said, the pads work brilliantly in all conditions but when compared to the Galfer pads the disc wear is massively different in comparison.
Because I service my calipers once or twice a year it is something I check so I spotted it straight away.
I'll keep an eye on it but I can see me changing them some time next year as pads are much cheaper than discs.

Bought a set of Galfer pads again, so that's sorted.

I'll be selling the SBS pads at a much reduced price very shortly because they are still in very good nick. I'll probably offer them on the forum first for a while before putting them on Ebay.
They obviously didn't agree with my after market discs, which is fair enough, but it's a shame because they are good pads.

I'll keep you posted when they're available, after i've taken photo's, etc. and put a link up to the "For Sale" section.

FOR SALE link:
https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=27519.0
« Last Edit: 02 October 2022, 01:19:33 pm by darrsi »