Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:18 pm

Author Topic: E10 Petrol  (Read 4362 times)

Sannox

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
E10 Petrol
« on: 22 June 2021, 06:38:41 pm »
Hi all, hope the weather is treating everyone fine. Reading in the news about new fuel ethanol mix that's coming to a forecourt near you soon. I'm assuming that the Fazers will be fine on the mix, however, hmmmm not 100% sure and can't find any official notice to say all ok, plus, never assume anything! Any thoughts?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: E10 Petrol
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2021, 08:45:28 pm »
Have a look at the thread on this subject in the General section. That might answer some questions.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2021, 03:02:12 pm »
:agree

E10 is meant to be OK in all fazer models.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2021, 05:50:21 pm »

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol
Yamaha
All Yamaha models from Model Year 1990 are compatible with E10.

Checking for my wife's Honda it comes up with the additional comments about cold weather conditions presumably an increased risk of carb icing.

Honda
E10 petrol is cleared for use in all European models with petrol engines equipped with electronic control fuel injection system (HONDA PGM-FI).

All Honda motorcycles and mopeds produced for the EU market since 1993 can use ethanol-blended gasoline up to 10% although carburettor-equipped models could experience poor driveability in cold weather conditions.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2021, 10:06:34 pm »
Well I'll be avoiding like the plague, until someone else has used it for a year and reports no problems. At  present I'd rather take notice of Red Ceri's unfortunate experience, and give it a miss.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2021, 10:47:17 pm »
It will just be another excuse to raise the price of the
‘E5 good stuff’ which incidentally is shit compared with the pre ethanol days.

Also note that pump prices are essentially at an all time UK high at £1.30 per litre. The last time pump prices were comparable in 2014, oil then was $120 a barrel. Today it is $75.

E10 foc u.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2021, 03:16:47 pm »

Also note that pump prices are essentially at an all time UK high at £1.30 per litre. The last time pump prices were comparable in 2014, oil then was $120 a barrel. Today it is $75.

E10 foc u.

As I mentioned in the other post, ESSO Supreme 99 has ZERO ethanol in it, but due to legalities the pump has to display an E5 sticker as it actually stands for "up to 5% ethanol".
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2021, 04:09:49 pm »
Yep, I’m aware of that option but thanks for mentioning.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2021, 07:17:57 am by Trebus »

StreetFzr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2021, 11:28:11 pm »
It’s easy enough to remove the ethanol from the petrol if you want to, there’s a guide on eBay but it’s basically done by adding water to the petrol in a clear bottle (use food colourant to identify easier) and then siphoning the remaining clear petrol off

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 September 2021, 12:07:15 am »
I seriously don't give a monkeys what anyone suggests, but if you like your bike to run like a dream, choose ESSO 99, more so if it's a toy or you do short runs.
Unquestionably better, without a doubt!

StreetFzr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2021, 03:59:26 pm »
Tbf I’ve been using Tesco ultimate as it’s still e5 and 99 Ron and it’s definitely running better with it, don’t know where my local wasp that’s has 99 or I’d try that  😀👍

StreetFzr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 September 2021, 10:50:56 pm »

E10 foc u.

As I mentioned in the other post, ESSO Supreme 99 has ZERO ethanol in it, but due to legalities the pump has to display an E5 sticker as it actually stands for "up to 5% ethanol".
This is only true for the south of England as in North England, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall and NI it does contain ethanol due to ‘technical supply reasons’ as quoted on their website

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 September 2021, 08:09:33 pm »

E10 foc u.

This is only true for the south of England as in North England, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall and NI it does contain ethanol due to ‘technical supply reasons’ as quoted on their website

I'll take any fuel at the moment.

StreetFzr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 September 2021, 11:19:25 pm »

Plenty up here in Durham mate!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 September 2021, 12:45:18 pm »

Bit the bullet and queued for 90mins this morning.
The queue didn't look bad at all, maybe 15 vehicles in front of me, although they were coming from both sides of the road.
But i' m still puzzled as to why it took so long, as there were 2 diesel pumps working and the other 2 pumps had a choice of different fuels?
Had to be done though.

StreetFzr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 September 2021, 03:08:59 pm »

The queue didn't look bad at all, maybe 15 vehicles in front of me, although they were coming from both sides of the road.
But i' m still puzzled as to why it took so long, as there were 2 diesel pumps working and the other 2 pumps had a choice of different fuels?
Had to be done though.

If you need it mate then you’d have to endure it, it’s the panic idiots who have caused all this problem filling up when they’d usually barely use a tennner a week!!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 September 2021, 05:58:48 pm »

Had to be done though.

If you need it mate then you’d have to endure it, it’s the panic idiots who have caused all this problem filling up when they’d usually barely use a tennner a week!!!

I just went past the queue at the same garage and it was a bit deceiving, as there were more like 20 to 25 vehicles so that does explain the 90min wait.

StreetFzr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 September 2021, 10:56:41 pm »

Had to be done though.

I just went past the queue at the same garage and it was a bit deceiving, as there were more like 20 to 25 vehicles so that does explain the 90min wait.

I’d be sick waiting that long for fuel, luckily we don’t have that problem!!
Incase anyone is interested, I had an email from esso regarding where they supply ethanol free fuel and they verified it was only Devon, Cornwall, North West England, Scotland, and Teesside that has ethanol in both their Supreme 97 or 99 Ron fuel. The rest is ethanol free.
They also said the majority of their synergy 95 petrol is still actually e5 and that they have no intention of adding ethanol to their 97/ 99 supreme fuel in any of the places that already receive the ethanol free fuel.
I’ve included a screenshot of their reply too.
Seems esso will be my go to station for now then!!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 October 2021, 09:15:03 am »
I just went past a queue near where I live which had over 100 vehicles in it.
But more importantly.....the garage wasn't even open.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 October 2021, 07:39:49 pm »
M&P have a product called Putoline E10 Fuel Fighter. Price is £13.63 and would treat 250 litres of petrol.(25 ml per 25 litres), container holds 250ml. I’ll no doubt carry some of this as a precaution, so that should you ever find a petrol station that’s only got E10, it won’t be a drama.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 October 2021, 07:00:37 am »
M&P have a product called Putoline E10 Fuel Fighter. Price is £13.63 and would treat 250 litres of petrol.(25 ml per 25 litres), container holds 250ml. I’ll no doubt carry some of this as a precaution, so that should you ever find a petrol station that’s only got E10, it won’t be a drama.

The occasional tank full of E10 isn't going to hurt our bikes though, so i wouldn't even worry about using that stuff. As explained here, all Yamaha bikes since 1990 are fully compatible with E10 fuel.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2020/march/what-is-e10-fuel-and-is-it-safe
« Last Edit: 02 October 2021, 07:01:08 am by darrsi »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 October 2021, 08:13:42 am »
Personally I'll avoid E10 like the plague. Have always used the highest octane available since I've owned the Fazer, preferably Esso Supreme+ 99 octane. A small 50 ml container with the Putoline product, kept under the seat will treat two tankfuls of E10, should I ever get caught out. On a recent trip to France/Spain, only one garage failed to have any E5 fuel. France has sold E10 for quite a few years now, but still offers E5 98 octane as an alternative. Hopefully the UK will follow suit.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 October 2021, 01:36:04 pm »
Personally I'll avoid E10 like the plague. Have always used the highest octane available since I've owned the Fazer, preferably Esso Supreme+ 99 octane. A small 50 ml container with the Putoline product, kept under the seat will treat two tankfuls of E10, should I ever get caught out. On a recent trip to France/Spain, only one garage failed to have any E5 fuel. France has sold E10 for quite a few years now, but still offers E5 98 octane as an alternative. Hopefully the UK will follow suit.

I was using the ESSO 99 for a couple of months and my bike was buzzing all over the place on it. Find it better than the Shell equivalent too.

StreetFzr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 October 2021, 10:37:58 pm »
It’s more the fact that a bike sitting with e10 in it will start eating the petrol tank, plus the ethanol is eating your alloy carb and brass jets etc as you use the machine. I’ll definitely be using the esso fuel from now on, my local does the 97 and one a few miles away does 99 do not too much of a detour for me