Date: 18-05-24  Time: 02:20 am

Author Topic: Headlamp  (Read 6338 times)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
Headlamp
« on: 08 January 2012, 09:39:07 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to take my headlamp appart on my Fazer 600 2000 model. I am doing this because it is filthy and needs a good clean. I have managed to take it all appart and am now left with the reflector unit.

My problem is this. I can not seem to seperate the 2 parts to get in there to clean. There and 6 clips, which I have undone. There also seems to be some glue which I have managet do get through, but still it is on there as tight as ever.

Has anyone done this before? And if so, HOW......

Any help appreciated.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Headlamp
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2012, 10:30:33 pm »
They dont come apart. Having got it that far, fill it upwith soapy water and shake it about. There should not really be any dirt in there. Its probably just knackered.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2012, 10:40:09 pm »
It went together, so it must come apart. I had thought about washing it that way, but I would end up with streaks. Like you get on your house windows if you don't dry them properly...

It works fine though, just dirty. Although it is cleaner than I would be after 12 years and 27,000 miles on the front of a mmotorcycle  :lol
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2012, 08:31:36 am »
What bit is dirty?  Is it the inside of the glass or do you have black marks on the reflectors?  If there is dirt on the inside of the glass, you have to ask yourself how it got in there.  If it is black marks on the reflectors, then it isn't dirt, it's the plating coming off.  If the plating has started to come off, trying to clean it will only bring more of it off and make things worse.

donkey93

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2012, 08:58:32 am »
mine needs a clean the part that the h1 bulb goes into is falling to bits and just turning to dust and that has got all over the inside of the lights but i got as far as you did and couldn't get it open

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2012, 09:32:36 am »
Be very gentle when trying to clean the reflector as the coating is so thin it will easily be removed !!!!! :eek
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

YamFazMan

• FOC-U's Victor Meldrew
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2012, 12:19:08 pm »
 Hi
I seem to recall someone splitting a light unit apart by heating the unit in a warm repeat warm oven to soften the adhesive.
It ‘s only from memory, so if go’s tits up it’s on your own head.
[font=]As in a previous post the coating is very thin it will easily be removed.[/font]
[font=]ATB YFM[/font]

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2012, 12:54:33 pm »
Thanks for the input everyone. The dust is all over. It's a thin film, but I am pretty fussy about such things. I would say that in its 12 tears, it is a reasonable amount and not excessive. A clean will sort the issue. As far as cleaning the lamp reflector, I have been told a good quality make up brush or a forensic brush work well.

I refuse to be beaten by this bloody thing. The oven could work, but I would prefer to use an industrial one with a digital temp sensor rather that the random dial on my SMEG one at home...

Acetone dissolves glue, but I fear this could damage the reflector if it gets in there. What a pain in the arse, but its £350'sh for a replacement, aye right  :lol

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2012, 05:10:03 pm »
Hi
I seem to recall someone splitting a light unit apart by heating the unit in a warm repeat warm oven to soften the adhesive.
It ‘s only from memory, so if go’s tits up it’s on your own head.

:agree

Thats the way to do it, low heat in an oven you dont need long keep checking it will come apart.
Later

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2012, 09:13:23 pm »
I split mine and it worked a treat, they look new now,

Here's the link to how I did it, wouldn't hesitate to do it again, it was easy.

http://fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/30568#.TwtYoqUwvNU

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2012, 08:30:23 am »
Thats brilliant. Thanks a million. I will get myself a digital oven thermostat so the tempreture is spot on. I will let you know how I get on with that.

Cheers

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2012, 08:42:18 am »
This might seem stupid, but did you put it on a baking tray or just on the grill shelf?

Hodge

• Foc-U suck-up-to-admin and good taste in bikes Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2012, 11:44:41 am »
I just used a very flexible piece of plastic, some lint free cloth, liquid glass cleaner on the cloth and went in via the bulb holes when I used to have a FZS600. Worked fine for me. :)

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2012, 01:27:44 pm »
I just put it on the grill shelf and put it near the bottom of the oven.

I used the oven temp gauge to set 70degrees, its not hot enough to melt the plastic but perfect to soften the glue.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2012, 06:41:45 pm »
I used industrial cleaner on the oven and managed to wipe off all of the numbers and pictures showing temp/function...What a tool  :'( . We know roughly 180, 200, 220 and so on, but not 70.

I just bought an oven thermostat from ebay to do the job. I will set about it at the weekend and let you know how I get on with it.

Thanks again  :D

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #15 on: 11 January 2012, 08:49:26 pm »
I done it today. I used the oven, as advised, and it worked a treat.

Here are my before & after pictures.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2012, 08:50:47 pm »
Split

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2012, 08:51:39 pm »
Clean

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #18 on: 11 January 2012, 08:53:27 pm »
Done...

Thank you to Griff86 & YamFazMan

bikerboys

• Weekend Warrior
  • full licenses don't come in cornflake packets!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 January 2012, 10:04:01 pm »
I like the 1st pic the age look  :rollin :rollin

that looks good m8 nice job.

you  might be able to see the road now instead of sending the guide dog out  :lol 
full licenses don't come in cornflake packets!

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #20 on: 11 January 2012, 10:32:21 pm »
The dog hates the cold too. It's his lucky day... :lol

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 January 2012, 11:48:46 pm »
I don't know if anyone else has done this, but I ditched the dome of metal that stops the light getting out. The light spread on dipped beam is quite acceptable still, I've never been flashed by traffic coming the other way and nobody queries it at MOT time. Apart from more light it has the extra benefit of not having something rattling around on the friable material of the reflector generating piles of dust.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 January 2012, 12:26:43 pm »
 If you remove the dome will will reduce the range of the beam you may well feel there's more light but there isn't!  You will also run the risk of dazzling on coming traffic fact you haven't been flashed could well mean your reflectors are too low, MOT will only flag if there to high and a lot of    The cap is there to reflect all the available light back to the reflector granted the reflector on the early Fazer is crap and is mostly to blame for the bike having poor lighting, this isn't helped by the blub choice either.

Back to the cap, if you look at H4 or H7 bulbs you will notice they both have blacked tips to them, this blacken tip acts (all be it better) just like the cap.

Later

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #23 on: 12 January 2012, 12:45:56 pm »
I kept the dome in there. No point taking it out in my opinion. The lamp has been designed by an engineer to meet legal and saftey standards, and it would be a silly MOT fail/ticket. I live about 1 mile from the Strathclyde police HQ, where they store the motorcycle unit, amongst other things...(Glasgow Airport bombers, Lockerbie Terrorists). So. on a daily basis, I ride by loads of bike cops. Most of them are nice guys and turn a blind eye to a small'sh number plate and so on. But some of them (one really) digs bikers for everything. He would love me to take that lamp out, I can almost see the smile on his face now  :)

When I come to refit the lamp to the machine, I have a new H4 & H7 Philips Motovision set to fit. I put one in my CBF and CBR and they work really well. Really. Really well. I would recomend them to anyone. I recived one as a gift for christmas, but the pair cost around £25. Well worth it. And with the added benefit of a clean relector, I can't wait to see just how much of a difference it will make.

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 January 2012, 12:52:39 pm »
Glad it worked out well for you, it makes such a difference them being clean.