Date: 05-05-24  Time: 04:56 am

Author Topic: Changing the bikes colour without a respray  (Read 4037 times)

budgiemurray

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Changing the bikes colour without a respray
« on: 15 October 2012, 06:38:48 pm »
was discussing changing colours on bikes today, got a great deal when I bought the bike but the colour wasnt my first choice.. looked into changing the colour but finding decent panels in the right colour combinations can be a bit hit and miss.. ebay doesnt always have them in the colours Im looking at or has parts that are slightly damaged or marked and would need touched up so I thopught of looking into the cost with brand new parts...
Wasnt worried about proper factory bodywork/engine paint combinations as such.. I have a '05 silver model with silver engine but want to reduce the amount of silver on the bike.. I feel theres too much currently especially with the added colour matched hugger and belly pan.. (see avatar)
Not looking for a custom paintjob or anything, just something I can swap over so factory colours/decals are fine..
Did think about the respray route but wondered if buying new might be a cheaper option after you consider the price or a respray, new decals and such.. genuine Yamaha colours are bloomin' expensive!!
Does anyone know any wesites etc that sell new panels/tanks etc..
been looking round the net but aint having much luck.. plenty of sites selling all the other stuff - tyres, engine parts, seats, electrics etc but cant find anyone doing panels or related bodywork..
Thoughts?

Budgie

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Re: Changing the bikes colour without a respray
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2012, 08:51:12 pm »
That's an excellent price for all that kit.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

budgiemurray

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 October 2012, 09:08:01 pm »
Cool, thats the sorta stuff Im looking for but not red unfortunately  :\   I wont own a red bike..
The whites quite nice, has a real retro feel to it..  8)

Budgie

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2012, 10:10:51 pm »
matt black then
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2012, 01:14:10 pm »
Vinyl wrapping is the way to go these days, cheaper that a respray - protects the standard paint - Can be removed when you sell the bike - any colour or design you can think up.

A couple of places, google for your area.

http://www.prestigewrap.co.uk/motorbike

http://www.fxuk.net/services.aspx?url=car-and-bike-art

Dont forget to post up the results  :)

boxer1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - gen 1 fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2012, 11:54:29 pm »
 :) ltd edition yellow as on 03 model, may change from the blue, proffesional respray for me :lol

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2012, 06:20:36 am »
i know you say getting 'new' panels might be cheaper than a respray but have you ad quotes for new paint on your panels? if yours are in good shape with no major prep work needed then cost should be pretty cheap(well cheaper than full set panels) if yours are cracked,major scuffs etc then it will add price of work done,iv just had a quote for respray my nose fairing(light scuffs no cracks) with me remove it £50 so was going to get it done but im now going to get fully fairing colours changed to change it a little so going to use a pals spray booth to do it myself when iv got time

budgiemurray

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2012, 06:39:22 am »
A full sprays an option but then if I sell the bike a new owner questions it? you cant help peoples suspiciones ect.. (has it been dropped, crashed etc)
A full set of spare panels are easy to resell or sell the originals depending on what the potential buyers after.. not everyone wants custom paint, some want as original a bike as possible..
just toying with the idea just now seeing if its financially viable.. finding a place that sells new panels would help though

Budgie

boxer1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - gen 1 fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2012, 07:42:29 am »
Worth pricing from yamaha to get an idea of how cheap other olaces would be, make sure you are sitting down mind  :D :D

wibblywobbly

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2012, 07:55:13 am »
I can only speak from experience, or rather personal preferences, and say that if I am looking at a potential purchase I want a bike that is factory standard colours. Any deviation only looks good in the eye of the owner that had it done, and we all view things differently. I had a silver Gen 1 with the black frame, and tbh I always thought it was the best colour combination, it never looked dated, and they still look good now when I see them about.

If you are going to keep the original panels to refit to the bike when you sell it, then you would probably be better off getting a set of scuffed panels cheap, and spending the money on a respray in the custom colours that you want. The is little to be gained in spending money on immaculate panels if you are thinking of getting them painted anyway. Spray shops can fill scratches and do repairs so well that you would never know they had been damaged.

I once had a 1200S Bandit that I sent to Dream Machine, they resprayed the tank, seat and mudguard in Virgin Yamaha Race Colours with custom logo's, and colour coded the spokes with polished rims. It looked a million dollars, and they did a stunning job, but it cost me an arm and a leg and didn't really add a penny to the value of the bike?

Rob

tiggr2

• DAS Born Again
  • If it aint broke make it faster
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 October 2012, 04:44:38 pm »
There are companies that do plastic films, any colour, any effect, even from photos/pictures - when you come to sell just peel it off. A lot of racers use them as well as rally teams and touring car teams as they protect bodywork from damage also. I have some links on my home PC (at work dont tell the boss) Ill try and remember to post em.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

tiggr2

• DAS Born Again
  • If it aint broke make it faster
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.