Date: 28-05-24  Time: 09:02 am

Author Topic: Foccin' Flymo  (Read 2778 times)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Foccin' Flymo
« on: 10 August 2015, 08:41:24 pm »
My 4 yr old electric flymo lawnmower is on the fritz   :smash. . . Motor will start blade will spin, as soon as you put the motor under load i.e. push it forward it cuts out. Her indoors is giving me grief,  :uhuh calling on the domestic wisdom of all foccers as I haven't a clue. Anyone any ideas? Otherwise it's off to B&Q to fork out for a replacement this weekend
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Foccin' Flymo
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2015, 09:07:04 pm »
Remove the top cover and then check the motor brushes. Chances are they'll be loose, dirty or even clagged up with crap. It happened to mine. I done the above (obviously after disconnecting it from the mains) and liberally sprayed the brush holders with WD40 so they can move freely up against the rotor. Hope this helps.
Never underestimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2015, 09:50:19 pm »
Don't ask me I still think mo the grass is a Jewish informer. :lol
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2015, 09:56:44 pm »
They usually start cutting out intermittently because the cable has an internal break in the mains lead were it has flexed back & forth at the handlebar a few thousand or so times. It may be that as you are pushing it forward it momentarily breaks the contact. Just a possibility.

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2015, 09:10:20 am »
As mentioned above. Check for breaks in the cable, usualy up by the gromit. Check carbon brushes aren't worn and are clean. Run it on a flat area before trying it on the grass. Sharpen or replace the blade if it's turned itself into a flail that will put a strain on the motor... Also could be that the grass is just too long to start with and the motor can't physicaly turn the blunt blade through the grass.

Flymos, if it's a hover, are designed to hover and and cut the top inch from the blade of grass they are not designed to cut the bottom thicker part of the grass blade and will struggle. You will need to use a shrub cutter or strimmer with thick line before to get the hieght down.

If you have any of the above problems plus the motor fan is clogged this could also be tripping the thermal cut out very rapidly.

Out of interest how long is the grass?
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Fazer Forever

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2015, 12:41:09 pm »
Had a mower once that had a plastic gear wheel that connected the motor to the blade. The idea was that if you clogged the blade it would strip the
gear rather than trash the motor. I found this out the hard way by trying to cut long grass cos I couldn't be bothered to shorten it with some shears first.
Un-fortunately, I'd borrowed the mower so had to fork out to buy the gear.  :(

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 August 2015, 08:35:29 pm »
Mo the Grass!  :lol Cheers guys, lots of things to try. It's a small torx to open the motor housing, the one size I can't find going to have to wait till weekend to give it all a good clean and have a proper look at it!

I'm more inclined to go for the brushes being worn as the motor spins when held in the air even when the cable is wiggled. Unfortunately haven't found any brushes for this one online yet, only replacement motors, hoping I can measure the old brushes and find replacements that way. The grass isn't that long- 50 to 70mm so should be able to cope.

Look at this! NO replacement brushes and £65 for a new motor rip off cnuts!  :eek I can buy the full lawnmower for £87!

http://www.shop.flymo.co.uk/hover-grass-collect-mowers/easiglide-300-966452301/motor-assembly/product.pl?pid=1578292&path=600088,159031:638467&model_ref=931900

I'll post up if I get it fixed or if i'm forking out for a new mower . . .
« Last Edit: 11 August 2015, 08:36:30 pm by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 August 2015, 11:18:31 pm »
It's rare that the bushes have worn because when they get stuck in the holders they stay there  so no longer wear. The motor will run with them like this but will 'give up' when under load. If you clean the holders then the bushes should spring into place. Search ebay and you'll find 'Flymo carbon brushes' for around  £5. Good luck.
Never underestimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 August 2015, 12:39:43 pm »
I'd just spray some good whisky over your lawn, then it'll come up half-cut :rollin :rollin
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 August 2015, 12:59:42 pm »
I'd just spray some good whisky over your lawn, then it'll come up half-cut :rollin :rollin

:lol I wouldn't waste the really good stuff on my lawn! As it's the glorious 12th today it would have to be Grouse.  :evil

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 August 2015, 01:02:45 pm »
That reminds me last year I came around a very nice bend to see two of those idoits standing in the middle of the road and they would not move- I ended up going around them
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 August 2015, 10:08:51 pm »
Goats - get some goats, they eat the grass, you milk, make cheese etc....
No expense on Flymos........ :rollin :rollin