Date: 16-04-24  Time: 19:24 pm

Author Topic: Wales pics.  (Read 4044 times)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Wales pics.
« on: 03 September 2014, 10:12:10 pm »

About time i got out,  and with the perfect weather this week it was rude not to.

So me & pilgo met up at Aberystwyth and then yesterday we spent the day on some of the more obscure roads......not too fast...loads of stops for photos and refreshments.....no deadlines or mileage targets...just enjoying it....did the old slow road from Devils bridge to the Ellan Valley dams and then North to Llanidloes before again going cross country on a B road and cutting up northwards towards Machynlleth ......then onwards to Corris and beyond.

Seen more lakes than i could shake a shitty stick at really.....also a highlight for me coz im a sad bastard was the RAF hawk training jets flying right over my napper and real close as as i was climbing up the pass towards dollgellau with Cadair Idris mountain as a backdrop.....only a few seconds but really priceless. 8) ....came back down the pass and cut off towards Tywyn and passed the Dolgoch falls and then onwards to Aberdovey.....eventually getting back to Aber.

Stayed overnight in Aber which is a pretty classy place and then set off today up the A44 to Rhayader-Newtown-Beulah-Llandovery and finally home.

So basically im just gloating about my trip but at the same time there aint much good weather left so I'm also doing my bit for the welsh tourism industry......no matter how many times i do that A44 it never fails to amaze me as a biking dream road. 8)

Got a few pics along the way...they really don't do it justice though....thing is that when you get to the real fast roads then the last thing on the mind is taking photos so yous'll have to take my word for it that there's so much more to offer.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Wales pics.
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2014, 10:16:22 pm »
Few more.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2014, 10:22:05 pm »
Ok ok

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2014, 10:26:57 pm »
More more!!!!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2014, 10:32:56 pm »
Ooft.......upside down eh!

Anyway here's a couple o normal pics of some welsh yamahas.

That TZR eh....fookin sexy!!!!...........old as fook....but check it out...the styling is perfect.

Plus it was nice of Red98 to tell us that he was in Wales eh......far left  :b

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2014, 10:36:07 pm »
Nice.
« Last Edit: 03 September 2014, 10:41:19 pm by noggythenog »

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2014, 11:38:38 pm »
Haha that's mad Noggy I was in the exact same place on monday! Another quality Wales trip, I love all these back road scenic areas they are just as fun as riding the quality faster twisty roads.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 September 2014, 06:31:02 am »
Very nice you lot,nice to see you all using the dry weather :)

So Noggy, staying in Aber eh,,is that where there are thousands of students (girlie ones)?

An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2014, 09:12:18 am »
Nice pics, noggy, When the weather is right the scenery in Wales and other parts of the UK cannot be beaten. Have ridden those same roads a few times when I lived on Wirral.
Had to smile when you mentioned the RAF and their training flights.
Anyone familiar with the Denbiegh Moors road?through Denbeigh over the moors and I think it drops down onto the A5? Anyway got up early one morning and thought I would go for a blast on my FZ6 S1. I had just come back to biking after a 20 odd year gap. Well I thought I was  Joey Dunlop and giving it what for over the Moors road. I swear an RAF pilot must have been pissing himself laughing. The wanker flew right over the top of my head and then climbed like feck. I can honestly say I think I did need a change of underpants, he scared the crap out of me. :eek
Living here in Spain has a lot of advantages but I do miss some of the great biking roads we have in the UK
Great photos posted here lads anymore? keep posting them.
Lew
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2014, 09:49:05 am »
Great pics lads. Recognised most of the views. Old lead mines on mountain road from Devils Bridge to Elan Valley.
Also the "Roman" road straight section of the road from Dolgellau towards Corris & Macynlleth, with Cadair Idris on the right.
Years ago remember travelling the straight section of the 470 towards Trawsfyndd and being buzzed by VERY low flying jets out of RAF Valley-unforgettable sight-sort of biking in 3D!
Cant wait for next year when sisters house is built in Painscastle(about 18 miles from Builth) & I will be able to be that much closer to "Biking Heaven"! :b

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2014, 10:30:52 am »
Thanks for all the positive comments guys and good to see how many others have already enjoyed these fine roads.

The plan is to keep updating this thread when i explore new and worthy sights and as others do the same have it as some kind of inspiration for others to come visit as at the moment there have been a few threads and photos that are now lost somewhere in the history of threads.......plus it is a good visual reminder for me as to which roads are which so that eventually i shouldnt need to consult maps much.

I liked the B&B biking...much easier...no endless amounts of camping kit to take on the bike and Aberystwyth is a good starting point for any Wales trip......& yep Slim......it sure is a nice place for a bit of window shopping :)

I like Dave 48's comment about biking in 3D.....bang on mate......ive seen loads of low flying jets before but somehow on the bike it just makes for the moment with you both being within a valley, both giving it some on or in noisy machines.......i almost half expected some fireworks to go off and then see a big sign saying "Smile noggy"  :lol ........if anyone has seen the truman show with Jim Carrey it was a bit like that.

It's strange the little things you see on a trip that just tickle you.......such as i was doing about 90 on the A44 and i got on a long clear straight.....& i could see something in the middle of the road....as i got closer i could see more of the silhouette and i'm thinking......"that looks like a fociin snake"....,....& as i get close i see that it is actually a Squirrel with its tail sticking out and it's munching something in the middle of the road.........you know what i had to swerve round the little furry bastard......it didn't even flinch until after my exhaust can must have brushed its greedy little face.......in my mirrors i could see it slowly trot back iff the road :evil .......i alsi seen a few of his mates which had been turned into IKEA furniture so there must be something in those nuts they eat.

& theres the strange looking people that you see in the middle of nowhere......like they're not real people or that they live in some kind of alternative dimension......like this guy.....he just amused me with how much of  a horse rapist he looked......in the middle of nowhere on some obscure B road with no houses anywhere and with all his shopping......looks like he's munched a whole packet of give a foc tablets. :b
« Last Edit: 04 September 2014, 10:33:02 am by noggythenog »

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 September 2014, 10:35:55 am »
great 3 days out on the fazer, 538 miles of mostly great roads and sun burn in wales in september!! 8)

was great to meet ya noggy,thanks for your patience with my 'back to bikes' riding style  :lol

best bits,noggy herding sheep with his thou,the road to cadair idris and the A44 out of Aber-and the ginger bar maid with the GREAT knockers in the black lion pub  :b

hope you dont mind,ive knicked the photo of the lake with the island in the middle to use as my screen saver?

great photo's mate  :thumbup

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 September 2014, 11:17:48 am »
great 3 days out on the fazer, 538 miles of mostly great roads and sun burn in wales in september!! 8)

was great to meet ya noggy,thanks for your patience with my 'back to bikes' riding style  :lol

best bits,noggy herding sheep with his thou,the road to cadair idris and the A44 out of Aber-and the ginger bar maid with the GREAT knockers in the black lion pub  :b

hope you dont mind,ive knicked the photo of the lake with the island in the middle to use as my screen saver?

great photo's mate  :thumbup

Glad you enjoyed yourself Pilgo...thats the key.......i've done some stupid things before that have put a downer on a trip but no regrets with this trip....all good and i hope that i manage to get out on my next days off.

Im scraping the barrel with my pics now but here's another couple for good measure.

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 September 2014, 11:35:56 am »
did the 'pilgo focers salute' picture not come out then  :D

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 September 2014, 11:52:18 am »
Photos look awesome noggy, some great roads in this country.  Not done any of those roads yet but your pics have inspired me to make sure i take a trip up there next year.  Hopefully the weather will stay nice the next couple of weeks and ill get some shots up of some other welsh roads when im off.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 September 2014, 01:31:02 pm »
did the 'pilgo focers salute' picture not come out then  :D

You was just a bit small in im afraid but here we go.....foccer power 8)

& Panthor......look forward to seeing your pics.......im sure throughout our members we can cover every inch of Welsh roads eventually.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 September 2014, 05:40:31 pm »
Noggy, there is a road across one of the dams that takes you to the big one, did you go there?, when the water is going over it , it looks awesome

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 September 2014, 06:51:51 pm »
Noggy, there is a road across one of the dams that takes you to the big one, did you go there?, when the water is going over it , it looks awesome

That'll be the road going across the viaduct to Claerwen. Well worth a detour:

Great photos Noggy, good to see you and pilgo getting some quality  :faz time in  :thumbup

I saw a photo in one of the bike mags today of the A4061; never done it before so looked it up on the map. It goes through the Rhondda Valley. I'd always dimissed anything south of the Brecons as too built up, but it looked good in this pic. Anyone explored around there? And I've yet to explore any of Pembrokeshire - anywhere I should head if I do?

I could still quite happily spend a couple of weeks in Wales despite the numerous rides I've done there in the last year or so.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 September 2014, 09:02:53 pm »
Thats the one Nick, a hell of a lump of concrete.

I guess i and some others under estimate the size of Wales and its varying lanscapes, god knows what lies out near Noggys den !! :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 September 2014, 09:10:51 pm »
Toying with the idea of heading that way again this Sunday... :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 September 2014, 07:15:28 pm »
Are you ready Noggy?  :D

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
  • loving the new ivanised beast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 September 2014, 07:34:43 pm »
jesus lads what a spot ,,serious pics too,,, gotta get there sometime thats for sure,,,, :faz
please god let the sun keep shining

evesdad

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2010 z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 September 2014, 08:30:14 pm »
view from top of a4601  Brecon beacons in the distance towards the right. If you follow the road down to the a4059 that takes you over the mountain across to the a470 about a mile south of the storey arms and beacons themselves.  All within 15 mins of where I live.

evesdad

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2010 z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 September 2014, 08:38:25 pm »
Looking south from the a4059 over the a470 below. Watch out for the sheep they are truly suicidal. Think I managed my first ever stoppie avoiding one of them last wednesday.
« Last Edit: 07 September 2014, 09:26:02 pm by evesdad »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 September 2014, 09:00:12 pm »
Wales Trip Report, 6 & 7 Sept (Loadsa Pics!)

"Anywhere You Can Go..."  :lol

Headed off from Oxfordshire at about 1:30pm on Saturday. Weather forecast looked good, so I didn't overdo the waterproofing on self or kit. By the time I got to Ross-On-Wye though, it was looking ominous. Just as I took the Skenfrith road, it started to bucket down. A quick stop for jacket liner and overtrousers, by which time the road had turned into a river - a steep river!. And the mechanic who looks after my bike had said "try to stay off the rear brake, your rear pads are nearly down to the metal"  :eek
Made it safely to Abergavenny, by which time I'd pretty much dried out, and so on to Llandovery, Erwlon campsite. Pitched up, ate at the West End Café, and then an evening run up the Black Mountains:

Carreg Cennan from the Black Mts:

Evening sunlight:

Hills, roads and valleys:

"Go on son, give it some!"