Date: 17-05-24  Time: 23:25 pm

Author Topic: Maxxis diamonds  (Read 1370 times)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Maxxis diamonds
« on: 29 September 2013, 08:27:22 pm »
Just fitted a front maxxis diamond to the fz1, fitted for £80. It replaced my knackered pr3 which was getting a bit wooly on the steering and after only 5500 miles, ruining my shiny day blast out.

The result was absolutely amazing! I was a bit dubious to the level of grip this tyre was going to offer me for the price, and took my time scrubbing it in (40 miles ish).
From cold this front tyre was precise and predictable, as it warmed up it stayed pretty much the same! The steering felt quicker than the pr3, and changed direction better too.
As I progressed into the ride over lythe valley, and hardknott pass, this tyre gripped like shit to a blanket! I was chasing my wingman on his tuned up Mille, which is a very quick bike, coupled up with a very quick rider, and I kept with him corner for corner. (he's on Pirelli Angels). These diamonds took everything I could throw at them.

On the return journey I took the lead. My confidence had got so much that I totally overdid one of the tight bends, stupidly grabbing a bit of front brake!!! Expecting the front to tuck, and re decorating the fairing with local foilage I was sadly mistaken. A bit of a kick from the bars, the diamond dug in, and kept me the right way up! :o
The rest of the ride was quite uneventful,  enjoyable, fast, and a damn good scratch!

So all you sceptics out there, what more could you want, grippy, predictable, stable, and a good looking tyre! About 20% cheaper than top brands, and will probably last as long!

Dont know about wet riding, but if you ride like that in the wet, your asking for trouble no matter what rubber you have!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Maxxis diamonds
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2013, 10:34:04 pm »
Got them on mine, got 5000 out of the rear which is a 1300 more than I was getting out of the 020's and I think they are a better ride.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2013, 12:09:31 pm »
I put the supermaxx on the Fazer as soon as I got it 2 years ago. I am just on my second rear now. I took the new tyre to the Nurburgring a couple of weeks ago. For a "budget" sport touring tyre they held their own. After my 4 laps the tyres were all bobbled and chewed up, almost to the edge  :lol . Another 500-600km later on the road, they were back to normal. They are great tyres, and most people that seem to have a negative opinion of them have never owned them  :rolleyes .
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2013, 12:11:08 pm »
Just out of curiosity, what type of riding do you do to wear out PR3s at 5500 miles? Track days etc? I am curious because with my sedate 70/30 motorway/national roads split, I have done nearly 12000 miles on the PR3s and it's still looking good for another 4-6000 miles!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2013, 03:08:15 pm »
I've currently got two bikes, my fzs600 is my daily hack, and the fz1 is purely for fun. It's tuned up a fair bit, and I ride fast road pretty much every time I ride it.

My tyres get a hard time put it that way! My rear s/t tyres barely last 3k, and I've just replaced the front as it was down to the twi on the shoulders. My routes are all twisties, quite a few bends are shellgrip which eats tyres for fun. Never been on a track, but I'd love to have a crack.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2013, 07:35:46 pm »
Ah that explains. Thanks.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2013, 11:08:49 am »
Well just done a wet weather test on the diamond's this morning, and they're really good! I didn't throw the bike around as I was on my way to work, but I did get a bit of a lean on some horrid rutted roundabouts.

The tyres did well, in my eyes they're superb vfm, and is happily buy them again in a heartbeat. I've just got to see how they last now. :o