Date: 27-04-24  Time: 22:48 pm

Author Topic: E10 Winter storage. Starting up?  (Read 1088 times)

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
E10 Winter storage. Starting up?
« on: 25 March 2022, 02:40:24 pm »
  Has anyone yet attempted to start their Fazer after a storage period of 6 months? I filled my Gen1 to the top with E10 which had a small quantity of engine oil added to possibly help reduce tank rust, I then blocked off the tank cap air vent with tape. These are two things I always do. Bike NEVER fails to start 1st time every time after 6 months storage. Owned five years. After storing I then started reading up about E10! 😢 Three months life span and all that. I don’t know how this will turn out but it will give me and others a definitive answer. 🤞
If at first you don't succeed, pull your foreskin ower yer heid!

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: E10 Winter storage. Starting up?
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2022, 08:10:48 pm »
After a couple of months idle my FZS600 was not as smooth as it normally is for about 20 seconds of running from cold, after a few gentle revs it then settled down to its usual self. I hadn't taken the precautions you did though and it might have had nothing to do with the fuel. I will wait with bated breath to see your own outcome.  :thumbup

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2022, 10:15:09 am »
Pulled out the XJR1300 yesterday, not used since late Sept 21, filled with E10 last 4 fill up's in 21, put in the garage with half a tank.  I never do anything to them, other than hook the battery up to an Opimate, you shouldn't have to, just keep the bike correctly serviced.  I don't start them every few weeks/months, doing the latter, promotes a lot of crab/starting issues.       

It fired up first go run as normal. ;)

If your bike is stuffing starting issues, it's due to other issues.  In my experience usually crap in the tank, water getting in at some point in it's life which over time corrodes carb internals or regular warm ups during off road periods.

Good friend of mine lives in France, he's been running his bikes on E10 since 2009 ish, which include a Fazer 600/1000, he did have a FZ1, GSX-Rs 750/1000s, 1000SX.  Some aren't used for well over a year, none have suffered any issues with starting or fueling.     

E10 is fine for well over 12 months, just more social media/forum myth and scare mongering. :stop
Later

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2022, 11:49:23 am »
  Must agree with the social media/internet comment! “The internet is a mine of information” Yes, some very useful (as in this forum) and a great deal of it absolute 💩.  Good to know your mates bikes fired up o.k. 😉

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2022, 09:35:44 am »
Similar the Gnasher, have E10 in my FZ1, hadn't touched it for 3 months fired up no problem yesterday for a Sunny Saturday ride out.

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2022, 01:34:03 pm »
     Started up the 05 FZS thou today, spun for a couple of seconds while I gave it a bit more choke and it fired up and ticked over as willingly as ever!  Thats after nearly seven months winter storage brimming with the dreaded E10!  Yes! I've listened to some pish about E10!  :rolleyes   Only did 27 miles because i'm nightshift tonight, but i must admit I really like this old bus!