Date: 17-05-24  Time: 23:59 pm

Author Topic: Changing a chain  (Read 6512 times)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Changing a chain
« on: 19 February 2014, 11:49:51 pm »
How the feck do you use one of these pissin chain breaker tools? I bought one of the Cheapo Ebay efforts to get this chain and sprockets swapped over. I tried to have a go tonight, but it wasnt happening.

I cant find my "master" link, do I need to use it on this link?

Do I NEED to buff off the heads of the pins with an angle grinder beforehand, or do i just use brute force and ignorance with this tool?

The tool looks like this:

what bits do I need on? I assume the different sized pins depends on the chain size?

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Changing a chain
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2014, 12:34:07 am »
I bought one of those... afraid to say it was an absolute waste of money, fecking useless piece of cheap crap that just wasn't man enough for the job

Ended up borrowing one of the DID chain tools from a foccer which worked perfectly

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chain-Cutter-and-Riveting-Tool/dp/B002D2TJ46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392856430&sr=8-1&keywords=DID+chain+tool

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2014, 12:42:27 am »
I had a feeling that would be the response. The tool itself feels ok, but those bits thay are suppose to push the pin out look like cheap shite.

Looks like ill be stopping at b and q after work tomorrow for an angle grinder then :lol

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2014, 12:46:55 am »
I think the OEM chain is an endless one and doesn't have a master link.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2014, 01:23:47 am »
Don't bother grinding the rivet heads off then try to push the pins through. That's what I tried at first and it was a waste of time, just put a cutting disc on and chop the old chain.

Be careful when you're riveting the new link on. My cheapo tool like that slipped off centre and split the rivet head. Then it failed it's MOT so I had to buy a new link and pay someone to fit it with a proper tool.

Before you cut the chain loosen the front sprocket nut and use the back brake to stop the nut/sprocket spinning.
« Last Edit: 20 February 2014, 01:25:07 am by DryRob »
thou shalt not kick

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2014, 08:18:04 am »
I bought one of those... afraid to say it was an absolute waste of money, fecking useless piece of cheap crap that just wasn't man enough for the job

Ended up borrowing one of the DID chain tools from a foccer which worked perfectly

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chain-Cutter-and-Riveting-Tool/dp/B002D2TJ46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392856430&sr=8-1&keywords=DID+chain+tool

Funny, because I have one of those and that failed on the first attempt.
Tbh I think the only chain tool that can be relied on are the whale ones that you smash with a hammer- made from the start to stand up to brute force, and as should be expected they ain't cheap!
Some say...

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2014, 08:45:43 am »
2 second job with bolt croppers

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2014, 10:15:28 am »
I had a feeling that would be the response. The tool itself feels ok, but those bits thay are suppose to push the pin out look like cheap shite.

Looks like ill be stopping at b and q after work tomorrow for an angle grinder then :lol

Yup, precisely. All the pins bent pretty much instantly - next time I'm pretty sure I'll just cut the chain off as advised above, but at the time I didn't have the means

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2014, 10:45:24 am »
I think that's where I'm going now, I'll just grind the old chain off, I'm pretty sure this shitey tool can be trusted to press the new pins closed with the rivet bit, but it's naff all use for removing the chain!

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2014, 10:48:02 am »
Just cut it off with a hacksaw? I have done this a bunch of times with no issues. And as stated, undo the front sprocket nut first. And get your new nut and washer too. Ride-on with be happy to overcharge you for it mate.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2014, 10:50:20 am »
Same here mine's crap too! I snapped the handle on mine.

I grind the head off the old soft link, and push the pin out with crap tool, link the new chain to the old one, pull it through, and place the new soft link in. I then use two ball pein hammers to rivet the soft link. Just like they did in the old days. Never fails!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2014, 11:01:25 am »
Just cut it off with a hacksaw? I have done this a bunch of times with no issues. And as stated, undo the front sprocket nut first. And get your new nut and washer too. Ride-on with be happy to overcharge you for it mate.

I know it can be done with a hacksaw, and I know how petty this will sound - BUT, I don't want to do it that way as it chucks metal filings all over the wheel which I then need to clean and iron x to get it off. If I use a grinder I can put something between the chain and wheel to stop the filings getting in.

I've not got a new nut yet actually, but I did have the thick one on previously, I'll pop into ride on tomorrow and pick one up.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2014, 11:35:13 am »
I assume you don't have them, but bolt croppers? Will save on the metal filling crap :)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 February 2014, 12:29:38 pm »
I assume you don't have them, but bolt croppers? Will save on the metal filling crap :)

I don't mate unfortunately, I'll have a look in the shop tonight, and see what the price difference is, I suspect I can get a basic angle grinder for less.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2014, 01:15:10 pm »
I've had no problems with the DID tool, like the one linked to above.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 February 2014, 02:04:43 pm »
If you get a hand file and file the head off the rivet your chain tool should work. I got this tool and it broke the chain with no problems http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/chain-tools/sealey-chain-breaker-and-riveter

A tip I'd give is measure the diameter of the pin and the hole on the new rivet before you join it then you'll know when you've riveted the head enough

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #16 on: 20 February 2014, 04:58:49 pm »

I know it can be done with a hacksaw, and I know how petty this will sound - BUT, I don't want to do it that way as it chucks metal filings all over the wheel which I then need to clean and iron x to get it off. If I use a grinder I can put something between the chain and wheel to stop the filings getting in.

I've not got a new nut yet actually, but I did have the thick one on previously, I'll pop into ride on tomorrow and pick one up.

I have never had that problem mate. Take the blade off the saw and put it through the chain, then re-attach it and saw from there. The metal falls on the ground then. Bring it over and I'll saw the thing off for you. I'm in all day tomorrow.  :)
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Kentish

• Club Racer
  • I am the man
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 February 2014, 05:05:01 pm »
A decent chain tool will push a rivet out without having to grind anything off. Trick is you need to get the pin on the tool dead straight on the rivet then nip it. Then gradually turn to free it.   Try and do it nest the sprocket as you can use the sprocket to lever down on....failing that cut it off as said,thin blade angle grinder... 1sec later it's off

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 February 2014, 05:42:48 pm »
Im now the proud owner of a black and decker angle grinder (it was on offer, so got it and some discs for under £30). that chains coming off TODAY! :lol

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #19 on: 20 February 2014, 05:44:14 pm »
Nice one Mick

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 February 2014, 08:34:21 pm »
contrary to that ^^^, ive still not got around to this. Can anyone tell me what size the front sprocket nut is, is it 32mm?

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 February 2014, 10:37:04 pm »
Off hand I believe you are correct, I had it written down somewhere but I'll be damned if I can find it... I also confirmed it in a thread in this sub-forum... but I don't remember which thread :(

fatboy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - yam rd 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 February 2014, 06:14:03 pm »
+ 2. To the sealey  one.ground the heads off and pushed the pins out.then flared the heads over.kept taking it off to check the progress.you only get one shot at it.so a little at a time.  Some people do it the old fashioned way,with a ball pein hammer

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 February 2014, 07:16:43 pm »
I can confirm for anyone doing this job that the front sprocket nut size is indeed 32mm. Ive got the front and rear sprockets changed, so tomorrow night I just need to  fit the new chain.

I was speaking to an old timer in work on friday and he recommended the ball pein method as well, ill try it with the tool first though. slowly :lol.

I assume my front sprocket was an OEM one, are these thicker than the D.I.D ones?

Kentish

• Club Racer
  • I am the man
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 February 2014, 07:38:45 pm »
I can confirm for anyone doing this job that the front sprocket nut size is indeed 32mm. Ive got the front and rear sprockets changed, so tomorrow night I just need to  fit the new chain.

I was speaking to an old timer in work on friday and he recommended the ball pein method as well, ill try it with the tool first though. slowly :lol.

I assume my front sprocket was an OEM one, are these thicker than the D.I.D ones?

The OEM ones have a thick rubber washer welded to the inside. To stop noise. I always buy an OEM front sprocket