Date: 17-05-24  Time: 17:28 pm

Author Topic: FREE LOW SEAT! (But I want your standard one)  (Read 1914 times)

know your limitations

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
FREE LOW SEAT! (But I want your standard one)
« on: 12 July 2012, 11:32:03 pm »
I have a lovely condition but resculpted lowered seat on my Gen1 1000 (2002) My bike's done 32k miles.

I want a lovely condition but standard height seat from your Gen1 1000 (don't care about year as long as it fits!)
I'm 5'11" but longer in the leg and my feet are way too planted on the ground with this seat.
I've done the shorter dog bones/increased ride height thing but my riding position still feels too low down. My previous Gen 1 had the standard seat and the difference is noticeable.

Whoever's done the reshaping has done a cracking job. The original cover has been used and the visual difference is not obvious unless you're looking for it. It took me a good 6 weeks to work out what was causing the difference between the new and the old bike's ride.
It is still just as comfortable as the standard if not more so as it is flatter with no angled edges.
So if you're tippy toeing around when at the lights and don't want to mess with lowering kits we could help each other out.

I'm in Crewe, Cheshire but happy to have a ride out to come to yours or meet halfway within reason.

DON'T PANIC! If you reply, I'm not expecting a done deal. We could swap, have a test ride, yadda, yadda, yadda. Then, if we are both happy, a straight swap with no cash either way would be perfect.

Here's a picture of mine...... and I'd prefer to see yours before we meet  ;)
Simon
The fact that you can, doesn't always mean you should.

I NEVER watch Emergency Bikers for the emergencies...

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: FREE LOW SEAT! (But I want your standard one)
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2012, 10:53:50 pm »
Being 5'6", I'm tempted by the idea of a swap, but I'm not sure it solves the problem that the footrests are in line with where my legs want to be when I put my feet down, meaning my feet are pushed out more than I'd like.

I might be better off with rearsets, but how much lower is your seat than standard?

know your limitations

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2012, 01:32:31 am »
On the issue of your pegs, my seat allows you to sit closer to the fuel tank, so that may change the stance of your legs, in relation to the pegs.

It's so hard to quantify the difference in height against standard as I haven't got a standard one to compare it against.
The best way to describe the difference for me, is that on my previous Gen1, both feet were securely on the ground but my heels would be slightly raised off the ground. To manoeuvre the bike backwards out of a parking space I would need to use the balls of my feet.
With this seat, both feet are flat on the floor and my knees are slightly bent too (even after fitting a 25mm jack-up kit) and I can move the bike using almost a walking motion.

The one thing I don't know is what the dogbone situation was on my first Gen1. I doubt it was fitted with any that were shorter than current though, as the rear wheel still had good ground clearance when on the centre stand.

At the end of the day, the purpose of this thread is to not only get me on a higher seat, it's also perfect to give a fellow Foccer the opportunity to try out the lower option. Any permanent swap would only happen if we were both happy, so if you want to give it a try, even if it's only to eliminate it as an option for you, just let me know.  :)
« Last Edit: 17 July 2012, 01:35:18 am by know your limitations »

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2012, 07:16:26 am »
OK, could be worth a try.
I'm away for a couple of days, will PM you when I get back, unless I see someone else has snapped the seat up!

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2012, 06:58:10 pm »
There is one on fleabay at the moment, might be worth a bid ;) Item number: 190703546981
« Last Edit: 17 July 2012, 07:07:13 pm by dazza »

know your limitations

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2012, 07:58:34 pm »
There is one on fleabay at the moment, might be worth a bid ;) Item number: 190703546981
Cheers for that Dazza.
I've had a look and I'm not convinced it's a standard seat. It looks almost identical to the one I want to swap, the angles leading to the top of the seat don't look steep enough to me. Shame he hasn't got more pictures of it.
I'm gonna see if he can do some more...

yamahasan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2012, 08:37:01 pm »
Hi

I am very interested in the swap........but I live in Spain. So I guess you are gonna try to sort it out with someone closer to you. But if at some point you want to talk about it, you can pm me.
Im leaving next week for a three weeks trip to France and wont be checking my account  :lol

cheers!

fazerphil

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fz1s gen 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 July 2012, 04:52:21 pm »
hi yer, ive got a standard seat to offer because i now use a viper touring saddle.
so if you get stuck im the man..
ps ive had my bike from 2500m onwards and it was bog standard

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2012, 10:21:54 pm »
PM sent