Date: 27-04-24  Time: 17:06 pm

Author Topic: neutral light  (Read 867 times)

msewelly

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
neutral light
« on: 29 February 2016, 10:47:32 pm »
Hi,

My neutral light does not come on when my bike is in neutral, it also won't allow me to start the bike with the side stand down even in neutral, it has to be on the centre stand in neutral to start it. Any ideas?

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: neutral light
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2016, 06:27:44 am »
The bike has a side stand cutout switch, you wont be able to start or ride the bike with the side stand down. Your Neutral light may be another issue if it doesn't work at all, blown bulb perhaps?

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2016, 02:36:20 pm »
Really sorry I made a mistake in the above, the bike will start with the stand down but will cut out as soon as you put it in gear, so the cut out circuit must rely on being able to detect whether the bike is in neutral. It sounds like there is a problem with whatever circuit / switch detects the bike is in neutral as it looks like it is not correctly reporting this back to the cutout circuit. I don't know if a blown bulb or fuse might be the culprit.
« Last Edit: 02 March 2016, 02:38:05 pm by PieEater »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2016, 04:28:32 pm »
The fact the bike starts in neutral proves the neutral switch works, as the circuit for the starter and Ignitor (ECU) depend on the earth supplied by the neutral switch.
When you put the bike in to gear with the side stand down this circuit is broken and bike cuts out.

The Ignition fuse also powers the neutral light and if that fuse was blown the bike would not start.

By process of elimination it is pointing to a blown bulb or broken wire.  :)