Date: 28-04-24  Time: 00:39 am

Author Topic: Fitting Stainless Downpipes  (Read 999 times)

msewelly

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Fitting Stainless Downpipes
« on: 21 May 2014, 06:56:29 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I picked up some downpipes and just want to clarify the fitting process as in all honesty I have not replaced downpipes before.
I have checked the exhaust bolts on my fazer and all are fine ie not seized or rusted, they can all be loosened as I have been greasing them prior to removal.
Also I am awaiting a new set of gaskets, is it a simply case of removing the old downpipes, fitting the new gaskets then re fitting the new downpipes (in a nut shell)

Thanks

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting Stainless Downpipes
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2014, 07:21:28 pm »
On a good day, yeah it's as simple as that!
Clean out any crud where your old gaskets were, and preferably use a torque wrench when refitting, as the actual torque setting is quite low.
I would suggest you keep checking the torque reading for a couple of weeks as well as I found the nuts slackened a bit until the exhaust bedded itself properly.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

msewelly

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting Stainless Downpipes
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2014, 01:25:20 pm »
Thanks, all went well considering I haven't done any exhaust replacements before, I did prep the exhaust bolts before to ensure they would come off nice and easy, they fitted easily and look much better!
Even though my fazer has low mileage and is in good condition, the orginal downpipes had some small holes in, so i'm glad to have replaced them. Only issue is the link pipe which stops the centre stand is slighty long and just misses the stopper! (Fine on the orginal downpipes) Other than that it went well!