Date: 01-05-24  Time: 07:06 am

Author Topic: Does anybody prefer the standard geometry?  (Read 1007 times)

Marc125030

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Does anybody prefer the standard geometry?
« on: 08 September 2016, 07:59:09 pm »
Does anybody prefer the standard suspension geometry over what seems to be the norm of raising the forks through the yokes by 7-10mm?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody prefer the standard geometry?
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2016, 10:09:26 pm »
Why do you ask? Do you prefer the standard setup? I certainly don't, in my opinion the stock bike with OEM  suspension and standard geometry handles like a barge with little or no inclination to go round corners. A jack up kit and raising the forks through the yokes makes a big difference as does upgrading the suspension. On the stock setup I had 15mm chicken strips, now the bike is set up properly I don't have any.

dannymassive

• Weekend Warrior
  • 2001 Gen 1 FZS1000
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2016, 10:32:51 pm »
In a word, no.

If it wasn't for changing the setup, I'd never have entertained owning a Fazer. Standard felt like i was riding a sack of spuds to me. The investment on upgrading the components was well spent in my opinion.
2001 Gen 1 FZS1000

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2016, 04:32:38 am »
Does anybody prefer the standard suspension geometry over what seems to be the norm of raising the forks through the yokes by 7-10mm?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
As a fellow FZS 600 owner (2000 model-2001 Reg) the single best improvement I have made to my 15 year old machine was to replace the rear shock with a Wilbers unit & have the front forks rebuilt with new springs,seals,& heavier weight fork oil.
Before you ask about "standard geometry" check that your bike is handling as it should be considering its age. Ultimate handling will depend on various factors like suspension condition & function, swingarm ,suspension linkage & wheel bearings condition, and tyres(condition,wear, type, pressures).
Once you have the best "standard" set up achievable you can then experiment with adjustments-eg sag etc, taking your "all up weight" into consideration & making changes to dog legs(linkage pieces), raising/lowering forks through yokes to achieve best results for your personal preferences.