Date: 29-03-24  Time: 11:19 am

Author Topic: Went Drag racing  (Read 1752 times)

John Silva

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Went Drag racing
« on: 22 July 2013, 10:05:00 am »
A good run up to Shakespeare County Raceway yesterday.
I raced all day against a mate on a Hornet 600.
I beat him of the line every time, but he caught up and overtook me, his best time of beating me was only 0.34778 of a second.  :)

Here is my times
    Reaction     ET             MPH
1.  0.65316    13.41595   102.97
2.  0.70310    12.91673   103.37
3.  0.55211    12.74965   103.57
4.  0.29244    12.80878   104.75
5.  0.33907    12.82698   104.86

It was a damn good day to see what the bike and me could do.  :D
Biking is about the Journey NOT the Destination...

Jazz999

• Weekend Warrior
  • Mellow Yellow!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Went Drag racing
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2013, 01:00:24 pm »
Good fun chap! Nice to see your speeds improve with each run too, might have to try that meself!
Nothing Fazes a Foccer!

John Silva

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2013, 06:41:51 pm »
Seeing as it was my first attempt at anything like this I was well happy with the results.  :D
Its very addictive as you can spend 20 minutes just waiting in a queue just for that 12 seconds of pure adrenalin rush.

My bike is standard there is nothing added to make it faster than how it came off the production line.
£37 for the day plus a tank of fuel to get there = pure heaven.  :lol

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2013, 07:15:42 pm »
Not bad reaction times. Was that drag racing or sprint racing?

When I did National Sprint Racing I found that sometimes I'd get more of an adrenaline rush waiting for the run and then the run itself than I would do in an entire kart race meeting.

Oh the rush  :lol
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

John Silva

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2013, 07:23:40 pm »
Not bad reaction times. Was that drag racing or sprint racing?

You will have to explain the difference between them.

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2013, 09:23:25 pm »
Drag racing: Is a but more involved and harder to explain than sprint racing so I'll cut and paste from Wikipee. See below.

SPRINT RACING as run by ACU National Sprint Association (very similar to 'Run What You Brung' events, Straightliners etc)

Usualy over 1/4 mile in straight lines but Hill Climbs like Goodwood Festival of Speed and Brighton Speed Trials are also sprints. Although run primarily against the clock, many sprints are two lane affairs which allow you to race directly against your mates but timing is stand alone to each lane. Similar to drag racing burnouts can be done. Bikes/cars are rolled up to just befofe the timing beam. This trigers a red stop light to show the bike is in position. An orange light is then shown as a standby to let you know that the green go light is about to come on. With sprinting you do not have to go imediately the green light comes on... you can go in your own time. In drag racing this is the reaction time. With sprinting the time starts when you break the timing beam. There is usualy a second beam at 60 feet which gives you a 60ft per second time and then another timing beam at the 1/4 mile that measures overall run time and MPH.

That's me hanging off the back at Brighton Speed Trials 2011. Sidecar is a Bakker F1 chassis with GSX ef lump sucking Nitros. It'll do abot 11 secs at 115mph on a good day which aint bad considering the driver's about 22st  :lol

DRAG RACING

Before each race (also known as a pass), each driver is allowed to perform a burnout, which heats the driving tires and lays rubber down at the beginning of the track, improving traction. Each driver then lines up (or stages) at the starting line. Races are started electronically by a system known as a Christmas tree. The Christmas tree consists of a column of six lights for each driver/lane, one blue, then three amber, one green, and one red, connected to light beams on the track. The first, a split blue open circle, is split into two halves. When the first light beam is broken by the vehicle's front tire(s) indicate that the driver has pre-staged (approximately 7 inches (180 mm) from the starting line), lights the first half of the blue circle, and then staged (at the starting line), which lights up the second half of the blue circle, and also the corresponding bar in the middle of that circle.[2] [3] Below the blue "staged" light are three large amber lights, a green light, and a red light.
Once the first competitor trips the staged beam, the tree is automatically activated, and the opponent will have up to seven seconds to stage or a red light and automatic timed-out disqualification occurs instantly. Otherwise, when both drivers are staged the tree will start the race up to 8.3 seconds after the race is staged, with the time randomly selected by the Autostart system, which causes the three large amber lights to illuminate, followed by the green one. There are two standard light sequences: either the three amber lights flash simultaneously, followed 0.4 seconds later by the green light (a Pro tree), or the amber lights in sequence from top to bottom, 0.5 seconds apart, followed 0.5 seconds later by the green light (a Sportsman tree, or full tree). If the front tires leaves from a stage beam (stage and pre-stage lights both turned off) before the green light illuminates, the red light for that driver's lane illuminates instead, indicating disqualification (unless a more serious violation occurs). Once a driver commits a red-light foul (also known as redlighting), the other driver can also commit a foul start by leaving the line too early but still win, having left later. The green light automatically is illuminated on the opposite side of the red-lightning driver. Should both drivers leave after the green light illuminates, the one leaving first is said to have a holeshot advantage.
Except where a breakout rule is in place, the winner is the first vehicle to cross the finish line (and therefore the driver with the lowest total reaction time and elapsed time). The elapsed time is a measure of performance only; it does not necessarily determine the winner. Because elapsed time does not include reaction time and each lane is timed individually, a car with a slower elapsed time can actually win if that driver's holeshot advantage exceeds the elapsed time difference. In heads-up racing, this is known as a holeshot win.[4] In categories where a breakout rule (some dial-in categories are this way, but Jr Dragster, Super Comp, Super Gas, Super Stock, and Stock most notably) is in effect, if a competitor is faster than their predetermined time, that competitor loses. If both are faster than their predetermined time, the competitor closer to that time wins. Regardless, a red light foul is worse than a breakout, except in Jr Dragster where exceeding the absolute limit is disqualification.
Several measurements are taken for each race: reaction time, elapsed time, and speed. Reaction time is the period from the green light illuminating to the vehicle leaving the starting line. Elapsed time is the period from the vehicle leaving the starting line to crossing the finish line. Speed is measured through a speed trap covering the final 66 feet (20 m) to the finish line, indicating the approximate maximum speed of the vehicle during the run.
« Last Edit: 22 July 2013, 09:24:56 pm by Kosmic Kartman »
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

John Silva

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2013, 10:18:03 am »
WOW!!!

Reading thru that then I did both.  :rollin
 :rolleyes too much information for my brain.

It was a run what you brung event, but their was sprints and drag racing going on at the same time.
On my timing ticket its got reaction time, 60ft, 330ft, 660ft, MPH, 990ft, 1320ft, and MPH.
Plus we had a pro tree, pre stage, staged, 3 amber lights then green. . . there was a red but I'm to good to need that.  :D (even tho I was a newbie to this)

I will be doing this again  :) :) :) :) :) :)