Date: 18-05-24  Time: 12:54 pm

Author Topic: Choke not fully responsive  (Read 2407 times)

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Choke not fully responsive
« on: 15 March 2016, 05:23:28 pm »
Hi, Me again,

This months concern (after figuring out the running issue was down to spark plug caps and rain water) is that the choke is being a little unresponsive.

It does work, however when I shut it off it has a couple of second pause before the revs drop. This used to be instant and the time between the turning off of the choke and the engine revs dropping is getting longer.

I guess my question is basically "is this a big issue?" and if so "how do I fix it?" was planning to lube the choke cable tonight and see if that helps, but figure I should ask.

Cheers and if you find this particular question uninteresting, don't worry, I'll probably have more concerns soon  ;)

*seriously though, thanks to everyone who helps when I post, it's massively appreciated

HJFazer

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Choke not fully responsive
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2016, 06:36:37 pm »
Oiling the cable seems like the way to go. That cable has a fairly sharp bend on it at the carb end so is more prone to sticking. I would also put a bit of oil on the four locations behind each carb where the slotted plate slides, meaning the thing that the cable pulls on.
Now that you have mentioned it I think I'll give mine an oiling tomorrow  :) .

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2016, 07:24:29 pm »
Oiling the cable seems like the way to go. That cable has a fairly sharp bend on it at the carb end so is more prone to sticking. I would also put a bit of oil on the four locations behind each carb where the slotted plate slides, meaning the thing that the cable pulls on.
Now that you have mentioned it I think I'll give mine an oiling tomorrow  :) .

:agree  Most cables are PTFE lined these days fella so DON'T use WD40. Use 3 in 1 oil - tie a sandwich bag around the end of the clutch cable with a tight tie wrap then fill the bag with 3 in 1 oil. It takes a bit of time for the oil to run through. Another option is GT85 PTFE lube spray. Good luck  :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2016, 09:37:14 pm »
I disagree- if the cable was the issue then you'd feel it being stiff whilst operating it!
Delayed Rev dropping is pointing to something else, is there any delay when you blip the throttle or even when you come to a stop?
Some say...

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2016, 09:56:46 pm »
There has been a bit of a delay, but it seems OK recently. Unless I'm just getting used to it? The free play of the throttle has felt a bit different too since I had some work done (took apart to tighten the cam chain but it didn't need it).

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2016, 05:41:49 am »
I'm confused now, it started with the choke cable, then the clutch cable and now throttle play?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2016, 06:39:28 am »
Clutch is fine. Choke is playing up & the free play feels different (I have adjusted but still doesn't feel quite right). I wondered if it might be related to the throttle cable?

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2016, 12:42:25 pm »
Cheers for the help by the way peeps. I'm just somewhat fed up of things breaking/costing money at the moment.
Stupidly dropped and cracked my helmet yesterday so now I need a new one of those, new downpipes before May and now this is playing up... beginning to consider whether a new bike is feasible... or I use the train  :'(

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2016, 02:03:53 pm »
Cheers for the help by the way peeps. I'm just somewhat fed up of things breaking/costing money at the moment.
Stupidly dropped and cracked my helmet yesterday so now I need a new one of those, new downpipes before May and now this is playing up... beginning to consider whether a new bike is feasible... or I use the train  :'(

Better to drop and see it crack, rather than have your head in it.
Blessing in disguise fella.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 March 2016, 04:15:42 pm »
Cheers Darrsi, yeah, It's good to be certain I do need to change it, rather than be gambling I guess.

Oh well, it will just have to be a quiet month without too many beers :-)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 March 2016, 08:37:22 pm »
Hi, Me again,

This months concern (after figuring out the running issue was down to spark plug caps and rain water) is that the choke is being a little unresponsive.

It does work, however when I shut it off it has a couple of second pause before the revs drop. This used to be instant and the time between the turning off of the choke and the engine revs dropping is getting longer.

I guess my question is basically "is this a big issue?" and if so "how do I fix it?" was planning to lube the choke cable tonight and see if that helps, but figure I should ask.

Cheers and if you find this particular question uninteresting, don't worry, I'll probably have more concerns soon  ;)

*seriously though, thanks to everyone who helps when I post, it's massively appreciated

HJFazer

Hi after I got my FZS600 out of the garage after hibernation for a few months I pulled the choke lever around to fire the old girl up and the inner cable snapped, on taking the handle cluster off to remove the cable I pulled on the inner cable and it had rusted right through half way along, Obviously a point that water sits after an ingress into the cable.
I spent £9-00 on Ebay and it was delivered very very quickly. I have a cycle pump pressurised cable oiler so I gave it some treatment before fitting also did the clutch cable whilst I was at it.
If the cable breaks on you while out or away from home the choke can be activated by hand on the side of the left hand side carbertooter.