Date: 23-05-24  Time: 05:14 am

Author Topic: FZS600 - No power, won't go faster than 50, engine not smooth  (Read 27019 times)

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: FZS600 - No power, won't go faster than 50, engine not smooth
« Reply #75 on: 02 March 2014, 04:30:25 pm »

Now the only thing I would like to replace are the ignition coils.

Do you think that it's better to buy used or "china" brand new? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Ignition-HT-Coil-Yamaha-FZS600-Fazer-98-03-/190614785844?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2c6186cf34

I got these that I have been using for about three months now. I noticed a clicking when idling but could not find the point of arc. Yesterday I found it coming through mid point of HT lead on number 3 cylinder. I have not noticed any reduction in performance but keep this in mind if your going to keep these coils on.

Hope you have identified the problem as you show.

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

davidkent

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 02 March 2014, 04:58:15 pm »
Had a feeling you were - remove and totally clean the tank?

MarkWales

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 08 March 2014, 11:22:47 pm »
Mine is running the same as this - drained my Carbs to fins the same result as yours.

Need to look into my drain on the tank 

Torque

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 10 March 2014, 07:53:05 pm »
Hurray, my bike is running almost properly... after few months, the problem occured to be water in the fuel.
Basically I was not using my bike so often, but after spilling about 300ml of isopropanol and about half tank of ride, bike is running well.
Still had some minor stutters, but finally after around 200 miles done during weekend it's gone.

Conclusions (propably for most of you it's obvious). If you want to make sure if your fuel is bad, just fill glass of petrol straight from carbs or from tank and see if there is water inside.
If you want to replace fuel with new one, remember to drop the petrol from carbs, then from tank, then fill new fuel and drain (from carbs again) about 100ml of fresh fuel. This is to remove the old fuel from fuel filter and rubber hoses.

Of course it does not mean that everything it's alright:
- still looking for the tank, unfortunately missed the ebay auction, there was brand new (used only 4 weeks) tank for 80 quid,
- still bike runs on idle on 3 cylinders, and stutters between 1000-2000RPM. I reckon that it may be problem with idle mixture screw on 3rd cylinder (it's colder than the others), also I don't have tool to adjust that screw without removing carb (it's in really bad place).

All the best.

aj_finchuk

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 11 March 2014, 04:49:47 am »
I'd been following some of your posts as you've got a similar problem to mine. I did laugh at how small a world it is when the chap who I'd bough this 4 week old petrol tank through eBay said that the other bidder was from Bristol. I thought to myself it could only be you. Thanks for the iso tip.

aj_finchuk

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 11 March 2014, 04:50:10 am »
I'd been following some of your posts as you've got a similar problem to mine. I did laugh at how small a world it is when the chap who I'd bough this 4 week old petrol tank through eBay said that the other bidder was from Bristol. I thought to myself it could only be you. Thanks for the iso tip.