Date: 17-05-24  Time: 14:30 pm

Author Topic: FZ1 fast idle  (Read 9123 times)

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
FZ1 fast idle
« on: 23 June 2013, 02:40:59 am »
I noticed today that my 07 FZ1 was idling at 1650rpm. Any ideas as to what could have caused this to happen?

I went to adjust the idle speed today but the whole cable twisted rather than turn inside itself so I guess somethings seized?

Had anyone had any similar experiences?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1 fast idle
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2013, 05:45:28 am »
There's a thermo-wax cold idle device which sometimes fails on these, I believe, which causes high idle.

I suspect the idle adjuster cable is just in need of some lube ... it wouldn't move on its own, put it that way. :)

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2013, 07:49:29 pm »
Do you know of the thermo wax device would need replacing if it has failed or would adjusting the idle speed be good enough (if I can free the bugger!)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2013, 08:32:55 pm »
Replace, methinks, because it over-rides the idle adjustment until the bike is warmed up at which time the wax melts and the idle control reverts to the adjuster.  If the device is faulty, that can't happen.

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2013, 07:34:41 pm »
I had issues with the thermo-wax unit a few years ago which causes the bike to fast idle. Mine started off normal then fast idled up to 4k  :o
Managed to fix mine by spraying trusty WD40 on the unit which free'd it off. Otherwise it would have been a new unit  :(
http://fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/31945/FZ1-Over-revving

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2013, 05:38:19 pm »
Do you know of the thermo wax device would need replacing if it has failed or would adjusting the idle speed be good enough (if I can free the bugger!)

I did mean to say that if it is the unit that is "sticking" and you cannot free the "plunger" then its a replacement unit that is needed. Adjusting the idle speed makes no difference at all.

trl2015

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2015, 10:26:20 am »

Hi guys, I know this is an old thread but I just bought a Gen 2 which I think has the same problem.
 I read the detailed description on the old forum, many thanks Dek, now I'm sure thats what my problem is. so I'm about to go and fault find and hopefully fix and report back here.
Must say "wax & pushrod" thermowax unit sounds a pretty antiquated engineering system these days, but maybe this was part of the "fix" for the fuelling problems that the early Gen 2 Fazers had.

trl2015

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2015, 02:08:37 pm »
Update: If anyone has the pics of the thermowax unit and location etc that would be very helpful. With all the parts removed, I can hardly even see the plunger on the thermowax unit, let alone work it and apply WD40 etc. This is with tank propped up, not removed completely.

trl2015

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2015, 04:44:43 pm »

All sorted. It was the thermowax unit. Heres some instructions I found, hope it might help someone else in future, or just ask. Although I didnt follow these exactly, they did help a lot:
[/size]
[/size] should preferably remove the tank but you can instead just chock it up by placing a piece of 2 x 2 timber on top of the frame and under the rear lip.This has the advantage over propping it up of giving better access under the tank and you'll be able to run the engine later.The airbox needs to be removed but you can leave the velocity stacks sat in the airbox base just slacken the 6 bolts right off.Disconnect the 2 coolant hoses , there'll be almost no loss of fluid. I'd suggest at this point that before you remove the thermowax unit that you check the plunger for rust etc or worse case wax.If it looks ok spray some WD40 on it and work the plunger with your fingers. It should move freely apart from the spring tension.Any signs of wax and it'll need replacing.Reconnect the coolant hoses and airbox and start the engine.The plunger should not move till about 75 - 80*C when it should then extend fully pushing the tang onto the tickover adjustment screw thus reducing the rpm's to tickover level.Rev it, get it nice and hot, let the fans kick-in and observe the rpm's. If they rise unexpectedly check to see if the plunger is still pressed against the tickover screw.If it isn't, the unit will need to be removed and maybe replaced, but I'd try copious amounts of WD40 first.To remove the unit undo the 2 screws, disconnect the spring, take the tickover adjustment cable out of it's holder and pull clear.With it out of the bike split the unit and clean and oil the plunger thoroughly before retrying it. Hopefully though, it can be sorted in situ.Also, while you're in there give the throttle cable mechanisms a good oiling

« Last Edit: 16 April 2015, 04:46:35 pm by trl2015 »

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2015, 04:23:22 pm »
Did you get it sorted?
If not, send me a pm & I'll guide you through it  :)

trl2015

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 April 2015, 05:51:01 pm »
Yes I did thanks Dek, at the 2nd attempt, and posted your instructions for others to use here, hope thats ok.
Access was the hardest bit, had to remove tank completely. The thermo unit fixings were stuck fast so I disassembled it still on bike. The plunger was also seized solid,  I got it out eventually cleaned it up and greased it as I thought WD40 wouldnt last as long. Only had copper brake grease but seems to be ok! No signs of wax I could see. thanks again.