daveclark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - bergman
    • View Profile
FZ1
« on: 29 April 2013, 01:12:55 pm »
Hi, I've been offered a couple of FZ1'ns and just wondered how bad they are, I know a few prefer gen1 model but is it worth getting the later model???
Dave

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2013, 01:30:23 pm »
I prefer the gen 1 as it meets my needs more, but the gen 2 is still a cracking bike.
It's not realy one is better than the other, its more they meet slightly diff needs.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2013, 03:23:45 pm »
The gen II is more sports bike and likes to rev, the gen I Is the better all rounder that can tour. It all depends on what you want out of a bike. Test both, and see what floats ya boat. :D

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2013, 10:37:39 pm »
The only way to find out is with a test ride. Get a bike that suits you and the way you ride, don't get one that suits somebody else!

daveclark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - bergman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2013, 10:53:17 pm »
Hi, it's not so much a test ride, but there's a lot about fueling glitches, flat spots, so it was mainly the issues with the engine side of things I'm querying. I do like a bike what revs though, I'm use to GSXRs!!

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2013, 10:58:09 pm »
How bad are they?? Wrong question. FZ1s are not bad. Far from it, they're bloody good. It's just horses for courses round here and a lot of us old duffers prefer the more comfortable and usable Gen 1 (18 litre tank, ffs) with it's torquier engine. In a roll on, you'd hardly notice the difference though and it is quicker up top and it's much more GSX-R ish than the old bike.

I get the feeling Yamaha were trying to lure R1 riders with the second Gen Fazer but for some reason that version of R1 engine just didn't suit the bike as much as the previous version. I've only ridden one of the 2006 models when it came out and it was a bit snatchy, but Yamaha have reportedly sorted it out on later models. If it's a good price, I'd have no qualms about taking someone's hand off.

I just wish Yamaha would plug the crossplane engine in it and I'd have one like a shot. I got passed by a moody black one today and it made me very jealous. I just love the sound they make.
« Last Edit: 29 April 2013, 11:02:48 pm by AyJay »

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2013, 04:58:07 am »
The later gen II bikes ecu was improved. 2010 onwards the torque has been increased low down, and there is no snatchyness/flat spots. I love it, and if your still riding like a sports biker,  then the gen II is for you for power and handling. It's comfy enough, and 130-140 ish tank range isn't that bad.
The gen I handling might disappoint you after a gixer, and you'll be wanting uprated suspension immediately.
Both brilliant bikes, just in their own way.:D

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2013, 01:28:28 pm »
2006 models were the 'glitchy' ones and lots of owners fitted power commanders to their bikes. I have a 2008 model and bloody love it, take one a spin and see for yourself.
I've never ridden a gen1 but by all accounts they are very good too, but seem to need a bit more fettling (ducks for cover).
You'll never know till you give them a go  :)
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2013, 06:59:05 pm »
What he said.afther 06 is is sorted :thumbup

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2013, 07:16:16 pm »
Despite the myth's you really can buy an 07 on and not change a thing!

I've had two gen2's (std apart from endcan) and originally, an ivanised gen1. Whilst the gen1 was a good bike, I think the gen2 is a great bike.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2013, 10:40:23 pm »
Mines a 57 plate, de-catted, end can,power commander,airbox mod,k and n filter,trimmed flies,, holy hell, i just rode it back from a meet, yahoooo :rollin
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2013, 07:30:55 am »
most owners will praise their own bikes, so always beware of opinions... :rolleyes 

both models really will want some modifications from stock.Neither fulfill their full potential without them.

but broadly speaking the gen1 is a softer torquey bike with good ergos, the gen2 firmer susssies, worse seat , top end biased power.Best selling point of an FZ-1 now is they are dirt cheap second hand for the power potential they can give. You can of course buy them still new, but its 10k, so lots of alternatives at that price.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 May 2013, 09:07:25 am »
most owners will praise their own bikes, so always beware of opinions... :rolleyes 

both models really will want some modifications from stock.Neither fulfill their full potential without them.

but broadly speaking the gen1 is a softer torquey bike with good ergos, the gen2 firmer susssies, worse seat , top end biased power.Best selling point of an FZ-1 now is they are dirt cheap second hand for the power potential they can give. You can of course buy them still new, but its 10k, so lots of alternatives at that price.
Bloody gen 1 owners........ ::)

[standby for incoming gen1/gen2 handbags at dawn ;D]

« Last Edit: 02 May 2013, 09:12:30 am by stevierst »

Dunky

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 May 2013, 09:50:32 pm »
Mines a 57 plate, de-catted, end can,power commander,airbox mod,k and n filter,trimmed flies,, holy hell, i just rode it back from a meet, yahoooo :rollin

Sounds exactly like mine  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
" Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow. "

daveclark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - bergman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 May 2013, 02:58:55 am »
I want one!!! :'(

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 May 2013, 04:12:23 pm »
Look here
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

daveclark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - bergman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 May 2013, 04:47:07 pm »
Already seen it mate, alas I don't have enough yet, it's just a waiting game now, sent a few emails to different sellers offering a price, and a couple have got back to me, dosnt seem like many are selling so I may get lucky??
You never know!!

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2013, 06:33:09 pm »
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!

in this predicament myself..shoulder op saturday, two months healing then off to south of france with the missus so do i lose my trusty but ageing (02 plate 47000m) gen 1 to get a almost new fz1 or just get a newer gen 1, or just go for it on the old girl,...
test rode a zzr1400 this week, predictably awesome, but not sure my shoulder repair will stand the riding position for at least a year..shame because the new 1440 engine is ridiculously entertaining, with just a couple of mil of throttle to overtake lines of cars  it just fooks off like "iron man"...
« Last Edit: 29 May 2013, 06:42:48 pm by ogri48 »

baggy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2013, 10:10:33 am »
I have had a Gen1 and now own a Gen2.

I love my Gen2 and meets all my needs. I rode 10 miles each way to work everyday and it never misses a beat. I ride in heavy rain and its great and gives me lots of confidence.

I also do trips with the Mrs on the back. I am 14 stone and the Mrs is 12 stone and we also fill up a Bagster tank bag and the bike feels very stable and pulls well even with all the weight on it.

Mine is a 2006 model with a Scorpion exhause so has had the EXUP valve removed and there's no snatchy throttle response.
White FZ8

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2013, 09:23:01 pm »

They are both good bikes in there own way. But a full sorted gen 1 , ivans r1 forks , r6 shock etc ect, is a bloody good bike,
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

Janet

• DAS Born Again
  • Mad woman
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
    • Torque Monsters Home Page
« Reply #20 on: 02 June 2013, 08:26:07 am »
The later gen II bikes ecu was improved. 2010 onwards the torque has been increased low down, and there is no snatchyness/flat spots. I love it, and if your still riding like a sports biker,  then the gen II is for you for power and handling. It's comfy enough, and 130-140 ish tank range isn't that bad.
The gen I handling might disappoint you after a gixer, and you'll be wanting uprated suspension immediately.
Both brilliant bikes, just in their own way. :D

Agreed on most counts, but I generally hit reserve after about 110, so I've never tried pushing the tank range anywhere near 130-140 ... as I don't like pushing!   :eek

Mine's an FZ1-NA (naked gen II with ABS).

Janet

• DAS Born Again
  • Mad woman
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 June 2013, 08:39:44 am »
... You can of course buy them still new, but its 10k, so lots of alternatives at that price.

Our local dealer has a brand new unregistered FZ1 for £7130 OTR. I think it's a couple of years old in terms of build date, but it's a hell of a bargain. My other half was tempted, but likes his Speed Trip too much.

If anyone is interested, the dealer is Fowlers of Bristol.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 June 2013, 10:36:07 am »
Agreed on most counts, but I generally hit reserve after about 110, so I've never tried pushing the tank range anywhere near 130-140 ... as I don't like pushing!   :eek

Yep, mine hits reserve at about 110, but you can easily go to 130 - 140, the reserve is about 4 litres! And when I fuel up I rarely put over 14 litres in. (18 litre tank?) Have a look at my fuelly figures and you'll see.

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 2

Janet

• DAS Born Again
  • Mad woman
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 June 2013, 02:10:32 pm »

Yep, mine hits reserve at about 110, but you can easily go to 130 - 140, the reserve is about 4 litres! And when I fuel up I rarely put over 14 litres in. (18 litre tank?) Have a look at my fuelly figures and you'll see.

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 2

Call me a wimp but, like I said, I really don't like pushing! I'm particularly nervous when I'm in an area I don't know well, as it can be surprisingly difficult to track down a filling station when you need one these days. Your fuel consumption figures look similar to mine, though I've not kept such a detailed record. On most previous 1000 cc bikes I've owned I've managed about 10 miles to the litre (~45 mpg). This one always falls a bit short of that ... but I can forgive it because it's such a great bike.