Date: 01-05-24  Time: 15:19 pm

Author Topic: Gear change troubles  (Read 5766 times)

Frazer74

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Gear change troubles
« on: 20 March 2013, 09:29:47 pm »
Hi folks, I'm a new FZ1 owner, bought an 07 model and love it, best all rounder I've ever ridden. My only other yamaha was an R6 so that's all I've got to compare it to. That was slick between the gears, this one is "knotchy", gear changes quite often feel to be in two distinct parts and its easy to release the clutch before it has properly engaged. Can anyone tell me if this is a feature or if there could be a problem, I have a 3 month warranty so would like to move fast if something needs sorting.
Thanks for any advice
Fraser

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Gear change troubles
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2013, 11:54:13 pm »
Hello Frazer, sorry i cant help you with the gear change thing. I have the 08 model and have not had any problems.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2013, 10:42:42 am »
Spray some decent lubricant (not WD40) into the rose joints and pivot point of the gear change lever as they often dry out, oh and make sure its all adjusted properly for your footwear. If that doesn't help, take it back quick.

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2013, 05:59:54 pm »
 Best allrounder? You should try the FZS - it's does the job with more comfort :)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2013, 07:29:05 am »
Yes , i guess the gear change could be classed as notchy,!! :lol   you have to make sure its up to the next cog befors clutch out, but you soon get the hang of it,

I do alot of upchangeing clutchless, once you get the hang of it its easy, i wouldnt say mine seems wrong,but just get the feel of whats happening.

Good luck with it, as you say, its a great allrounder.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2013, 07:58:23 am »
I have. FZ1 and wouldnt call it notchy so as above, lube the joints and adjust the gear selector correctly and if its not sorted then get it checked out.

It is a heavir duty box than a r6 of course so expect it to be heavier in that respect

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2013, 08:13:09 am »
As above & also worth checking tightness of pinchbolt that holds linkage to selector shaft-have been known to work loose introducing more unwanted "play"in system

t140

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - T140W
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2013, 11:00:25 am »
This may sound silly but have you adjusted the chain properly.
Nobody is perfect, but being Scottish is a start

boybergs

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2013, 01:24:58 pm »
I've had a new fz1 n for 8 weeks and the same issue was really bugging me. Then the mechanic at local dealer suggested blipping the tthrottle on downshift (something I haven't bothered with for years) and problem solved. If you haven't used this technique before it can be tricky at first but once mastered is very rewarding. Give it some practice and the changes become sweet.

Janet

• DAS Born Again
  • Mad woman
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
    • Torque Monsters Home Page
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2013, 03:37:05 pm »
Mine was quite notchy when new, but I've found that it gets a lot better with a bit more mileage. Part of that is probably getting used to how it likes to shift, but I don't think that's all of it. Mine's on about 5300 now and I've almost forgotten how notchy it used to be when it was newer.

Frazer74

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2013, 07:56:40 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. It's not because it needs running in, got 12000 miles on it and not an issue changing down the gears, just up, so blipping won't help. Having had a look at the mechanism it does all seem a bit loose. I'm not very mechanical and don't know the correct terms but even the grooved shaft that the linkage is connected to that enters the side of the gearbox has some play in it, it can be moved in and out a little, not sure if that's a bad sign but can't see anywhere external that it could be tightened up.
It's definitely a two stage gear change, trouble is sometimes the second part where the gear is actually engaged doesn't seem to want to happen, takes a pause and an extra kick up

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2013, 08:01:29 pm »
you may find that it needs to be dropped down a spline to lower the hight of the leaver if its only missing gears going up the box.
not knowing the FZ1 well i dont know if movement is normal in and out on the spline. but i would want some one that did know to look at it.

Davebo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2013, 12:33:26 pm »
I've just got mine (30K on it so not a running in thing). I find that going up the gears it is not always selecting (feels like there is no gear available), but if I change up clutchless then it is very positive. might just have to ride it more to get used to it.

No problems coming down the gears but clutchless down changes are smooth too (with a blip).

Might get an alternative view and maybe get the local Yamaha dealer to take a squint.