Date: 01-05-24  Time: 15:10 pm

Author Topic: Advice from riders of naked bikes  (Read 3308 times)

Janet

• DAS Born Again
  • Mad woman
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
    • Torque Monsters Home Page
Advice from riders of naked bikes
« on: 06 March 2013, 04:36:00 pm »
I have an FZ1-N and my other half has a Triumph Speed Triple. We have a couple of trips planned this year and neither bike is great for taking luggage. We're only intending to take soft luggage, as we're hiring cottages and so just need the luggage for the trips there and back. Has anybody with a naked bike tried out a reasonable sized magnetic tank bag? We're a bit concerned that with windblast, if we go too fast, the tank bag magnets might be overwhelmed. Has anybody got any experience, good or bad, of using a magnetic tank bag on an unfaired FZ1/6/8?

Thanks.

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
Re: Advice from riders of naked bikes
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2013, 04:42:05 pm »
It would take quite a bit of force to remove my oxford tank bag, the magnets cover quite a large surface area, and you will be right behind the angle of force being applied so I would think it would be ok.

Assuming you aren't doing 140 or something silly :D

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2013, 04:51:36 pm »
:agree
I've used the HUUUGE Oxford lifetime tank bag on both my FZ6 and FZ1, no issues at all really.
Can be a pain in the tits when re-fuelling, but as long as the magnets are in decent contact with the tank (don't overfill the bag TOO much) and it was good for 146 in Germany.
;)

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2013, 05:42:40 pm »
Naked mk1 fazer 600 with oxford sports tank bag, full to brim and possibly then some. Good for at least100 mph if all the magnets are placed evenly spread. Should be no issue
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2013, 05:44:08 pm »
As above, pain in the ass when filling up but can't see one budging at speed easily. They are shrouded by the head light, clocks, bars etc so not subject to any direct wind blast even on a naked bike.
 My Oxford bag has a strap designed to go around the front forks/yokes as a bit of a back up for the magnets.

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2013, 08:25:17 pm »
Can't remember what make my dads is, oxford or buffalo or something, I used it once on my old GS 500 for a 100 ish mile trip and it was great, that was the first time I ever hit 100mph too and it wasnt going anywhere, makes reading the clocks a bit tricky at anything below 30mph though. As said fuelling is also an issue but not really, just clips on and off. One word of warning though, my dad used his a lot on his SV 650 and it actually began to scratch his tank really badly. He put some foam or something on the bottom of it now which has fixed that, but yeah you may just want to be careful of that.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2013, 09:25:42 pm »
I've used expandable tankbags on an XJR1300 & Street Triple up to 100,  both had screens though. Use the strap around the headstock.
As long as all the magnets connect with metal and not plastic surrounds you tend to get on bikes these days you should be ok. Pack heavier stuff at the bottom and light stuff at the top to make them more stable. If you dont you might have an issue if you brake sharply. 

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2013, 10:41:01 am »
I've used a cheepo bag on both Fazers with no probs ,did not move full lengh of the m5/m6, I aso have a  seat bag on my 600 which gives me a nice arse rest

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2013, 11:36:24 am »
My FZ1s has a plastic tank cover at the front (not sure about the naked) and obviously the magnets don't stick to it. I have an old Hein Gericke tank bag, and an Oxford mini tank bag. Both have felt a bit 'loose' on mine, hence why I won't fit one to the tank any more, but neither of mine have a headstock strap. I'm sure if you used a headstock strap, the bag would be sound.
I'm after a baglux for mine now just to be on the safe side.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

NotAnotherHill

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda Fireblade 900 RRV 1998
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2013, 04:07:44 pm »
I'd advise placing a duster between the magnets and the tank as it stops grit that the magnets can pick up scratching your paint work. It's thin enough to let the magnets get a good contact. I did this on my Scottish trip to the Highlands on my FZS600 without problems.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2013, 06:54:00 pm »
I use some of that non-slip matting under  the tank bag to reduce any scratching and also help it stick....it doesn't seam to reduce the affect of the magnets.

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #11 on: 10 March 2013, 06:53:00 pm »
+1 for the non slip mat.  8)

UG

• Bitch Dungle.
  • GP Hero
  • DaveG is a moron
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TIGER 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 March 2013, 07:14:06 pm »
I use a Frank Thomas tank bag on my naked bike and went to Germany a few times on it with no problems apart from scratching the tank. Get a Baglux or similar to save your tanks.

DaveG is..... The Deer Hunter

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 March 2013, 12:11:15 am »
Personally, I find tank-bags obtusive and don't particularly like them.  Have you considered soft paniers or a tail-pack?  Oxford make some great kit. 

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #14 on: 11 March 2013, 10:39:31 am »
I have an FZ1-N and my other half has a Triumph Speed Triple.

YOU LUCKY BASTARD!    :D

It will hold, just beware: dust, sand etc beneath the tank bag can make it scratch the tank's paint. Make sure the tank is clean, as well as the bottom of the tankbag. Or use some thin rubber layer, like a mat. Something like this:

Not sure what it's called, but it is cheap, light and thin (won't bother magnets' performance). Came with my buffalo panniers as OEM.  :)
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 March 2013, 08:26:11 am »
Janet
Best tankbag option is baglux, but unless u can get them cheap off ebay, rather dear initially. But they are superb, the cover straps firmly to the tank( no magnets) and the bag securely clips to the cover.
On my speed triple I often used a oxford mini tank bag , ( magnets) which never moved. I also have done  a long  tour on my fazer with just an oxford magnetic tank bag with no issues.So long as they are fitted properly they are no problem.
If anything , people have had issues with tailpacks, which are potentially lethal if the bag slips round.This actually happened to dek at high speed, and he fortunately lived to tell the tale.
I have used oxford soft panniers on my fz-1 but the fixed grabrails make securing them a bit awkward.
The other option is  a ventura soft bag system. I like this, but again there is initial expense to buy the rails etc, but once fitted is a doddle to take the bag on and off. Its 100% secure at speed too. 150+ on german autobahns no problem.