Date: 17-05-24  Time: 19:46 pm

Author Topic: Coolant leak from bottom of carbs. FZS600 fixed.  (Read 1611 times)

motodevcam

• CBT Wobbler
  • PASSED MOD2!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Vloggage
Coolant leak from bottom of carbs. FZS600 fixed.
« on: 31 July 2017, 07:34:32 pm »
Thought I had a coolant leak the other day. But wasn't sure. Came home from work and decided to balance the carbs...warming the bike up a bit I realised there was lots ans lots of liquid on the floor.... switched off... had a sniff.. (was worried it was fuel) Coolant pi$$ing out of a a narrow bore hose at the base of one of the carbs. Whipped it off, cut it back and cable tied it...job done. Carried on with the carb sync, and whist blipping the throttle noticed more liquid!! This time from the other end of the hose!!! Could get my hand in so aborted!

Looks like I need a new set of hoses. The bike was sat for a year before I took it, reckon the little hoses have stretched a bit with the heat and just breaking down. They feel really floppy :D

Will book it in, hopefully not to pricey...think the carbs may have to come off to gain access thoigh!! Might as well get them to balance the carbs while the tank is off eh?!
Grrrrrrr
« Last Edit: 03 August 2017, 08:10:03 am by motodevcam »

motodevcam

• CBT Wobbler
  • PASSED MOD2!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Vloggage
Re: Major Leak
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2017, 08:08:02 am »
Just incase this helps anyone, (and maybe mods could move to tips board?) After a bit of research I found out that the coolant that goes through the carbs is there to keep them warm in the winter. They form a second loop, one leg from the LHS of the rad (the small hose) and the other from a manifold under the tank. Ive taken both sides off the Carbs and clamped the ends off thus isolatinf the carbs (and the leaky link hoses) I'll have to renew the hoses before it starts to get cold but was a fairly quick fix to get riding again!

MDC

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Major Leak
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2017, 01:30:48 pm »
Just incase this helps anyone, (and maybe mods could move to tips board?) After a bit of research I found out that the coolant that goes through the carbs is there to keep them warm in the winter. They form a second loop, one leg from the LHS of the rad (the small hose) and the other from a manifold under the tank. Ive taken both sides off the Carbs and clamped the ends off thus isolatinf the carbs (and the leaky link hoses) I'll have to renew the hoses before it starts to get cold but was a fairly quick fix to get riding again!

MDC

It's called the carb heater circuit, mainly to prevent carb icing in cooler temperatures.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant leak from bottom of carbs. FZS600 fixed.
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2017, 08:03:00 am »
I removed / bypassed this circuit on my Gen1 Thou years ago and have not had any issues but I don't tend to ride much in the winter.