Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:27 pm

Author Topic: What goes where please ? (Carb refitting)  (Read 1353 times)

ali baba

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
What goes where please ? (Carb refitting)
« on: 14 November 2020, 01:25:15 pm »
Hi all,

I've removed and cleaned my carbs following a long lay-up and am having memory issues about what connects to what and the manual is no help, so hoped the peeps on here might be able to help ?

Photo 1 shows two medium black tails up high that are expecting hoses to connect to them as well as a larger black recess in the middle of them that I am scratching my head about, and another brown medium tail lower down that I am expecting the feed from the fuel pump (and filter) to connect to.

Is that right and what are the black tails / recess for please ?

Photo 2 shows the underside where I've connected the coolant pipes to where I think they should go. Are they in the right places please ?

Photo 3 shows the cylinder side, does anything look wrong there please ?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

[removed all the broken image links]
« Last Edit: 26 November 2020, 09:52:33 pm by b1k3rdude »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: What goes where please ? (Carb refitting)
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2020, 03:51:43 pm »
From memory it's been a while since I've stripped an 600's corbs off: -

Pic 1, Large black T union in the centre is the vacuum, which should have a elbow with a filter built in and face back towards the airbox, it's possibly still in the hose.   The 2 smaller black T unions either side should be pointing straight down (6 O'clock) to the float bowls, these are fuel return lines, brown T union is fuel feed and should be point straight up (12 O'clock)but slightly forward, Pics 2-3 are the heater lines and they look correct.

Before you put them back on, check all the water heater elbows are clear, as this is where they block ;)

« Last Edit: 14 November 2020, 04:57:56 pm by Gnasher »
Later

ali baba

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2020, 11:02:31 pm »
Many thanks, but could I ask about the fuel return feeds that you mention as pointing down and what connects to them please as I don't have any more hoses to join up to them.. ?
« Last Edit: 15 November 2020, 03:44:45 pm by ali baba »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2020, 10:54:36 am »
I'm assuming this bike was running before it's lay up and it was you who stripped off the carbs?

The pipes in question can be clearly seen in this picture and should be still attached to the fuel system on the bike, the give away is often the white line on the T union it should still be visible on the pipes.

]
Later

ali baba

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2020, 11:39:56 am »
Thanks for the extra info.
Yes the bike was running before being laid up and it was I who stripped off the carbs and I have found the two hoses (yay!) which connect to the upper (down-pointing) tails on the fuel rail but they are disconnected from anything else so once I connect them to the tails where should they then be going please ?

The interior of the carbs was coated in an emulsion that I assume came from the chemicals that they mix in with petrol but long story short the needles now move up and down fine as opposed to before.
The original problem was that the bike wouldn't run at all without lots of choke and would die as soon as the throttle was opened.

cheers

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2020, 08:34:55 am »
If you are refering to the pipes that connect to the black spigots between #1/#2 and #3/#4 then these just trail out under the bike. They are overflow pipes and do not connect to anything.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

ali baba

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 November 2020, 02:28:27 pm »
Thanks to all that replied.
I should be able to take it from here :)