Date: 26-04-24  Time: 14:39 pm

Author Topic: Winter glove recommendations? (Don't mention bar muffs)  (Read 13986 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Winter glove recommendations? (Don't mention bar muffs)
« Reply #25 on: 11 October 2014, 07:11:58 pm »
Im lucky as I dont need to ride in the rain
« Last Edit: 12 October 2014, 05:30:51 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 October 2014, 11:42:48 am »

As for gloves, I swore by the Spada Enforcers for warmth, 100% waterproof etc....until I broke my wrist when ice skating and decided that scaphoid protectors were for me so changed to the Racer Titan gloves....also good gloves.

http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/racer-titan-waterproof-gloves-black/3649

Could you tell us (me) more about these titan waterproof gloves I very much like the sound and look of these as they look like they will offer the same protection as my summer gloves and with added winter warmth. But I cannot find any winter reviews, so its over to you Frosties please

Sharpy - I actually love these gloves for the winter, warm as you like, the feel is good, protection second to non, 100% waterproof and the velcro seems to be lasting a lot longer than the Spadas. The ONLY issue ive had is with the neoprene cuff bit - it doesn't seem to stop the rain (when its lashing it down - fine in normal rain) so the jacket does need to go over the cuffs when raining hard.

Short review -

http://www.visordown.com/product-features/used-review-racer-titan-winter-gloves/17360.html
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 October 2014, 12:51:19 pm »
Thanks for that info, frosties I had found that visor down short but that is all I could find but I dont need any other reviews as your say so is good enough. they are not on the racer website - only the sicuro summer version.
I think its either going to be those or the Richa Cold protect, but I do like the white colour on the racers
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 October 2014, 01:33:26 pm »
If you don't mind losing a bit of protection - ski gloves. A friend of mine gave me a pair, the only gloves I've ever work on a bike that were truly waterproof.
The Deef's apprentice

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 October 2014, 09:21:41 am »
I got a pair of the Racer Titan's last year as a mate of mine had got some and thought they were brilliant.

They're very warm and so far 100% waterproof... few bit bits though.

The neoprene cuff is a pain in the backside to pull up over your sleeve on the second glove ('cause you're doing it with 1 gloved hand),
If you get out to a wet bike, take your lock off, start it up and leave it idling to warm for a couple of minutes while your putting your gloves on, if you have slightly damp hands from doing this it's damn near impossible to get your gloves on. Happened to me a few times now, so i have to get me gloves on before doing all that.

That said, I really like the feel of the protection they offer and so far haven't got wet hands from water running down from my sleeves.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13 October 2014, 10:10:52 am »
I think its either going to be those or the Richa Cold protect, but I do like the white colour on the racers

Yep, I got the white ones partly 'cos I'm a bit of a tart but thought they may help with a cagers peripheral vision - and to be honest they do seem to notice the white when it's tight, slow filtering.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 October 2014, 12:26:43 pm »
http://www.visordown.com/product-features/used-review-racer-titan-winter-gloves/17360.html
I wear some unbranded Gore-Tex gloves i bought from Infinity which have given several years of service. Because of my jacket having zipped cuffs, a Neoprene skirt is essential in my opinion so i'll look out for some of these very soon.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

elbrownos

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 October 2014, 01:48:36 pm »
I use muffs + heated grips + summer gloves. Ride all winter no problems.
Tucano Urbano muffs are rigid.
Get over yourself and buy some decent muffs, like everybody is telling you. "Winter gloves" are a con.

king1

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14 October 2014, 12:10:10 am »
Silk inner gloves do work
last year I bought a pair of armadillo gloves which help with the cold
as to getting wet, sorry but no idea as I always end up with wet hands when it is raining
this year for the first time ever, I am trying heated gris.

good luck in the hunt
I would be interested to find out how to keep dry hands

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #34 on: 14 October 2014, 04:34:42 pm »
Just ordered some TZG4's, will let you know how they do (£18)

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14 October 2014, 07:39:01 pm »
I've been wearing my new held freddo gloves this week(recommended by pieman,) . Rode in heavy rain twice for an hour, warm dry hands at the end of it.  Excellent gloves!
Intentionally left blank

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #36 on: 14 October 2014, 11:27:51 pm »
I've been wearing my new held freddo gloves this week(recommended by pieman,) . Rode in heavy rain twice for an hour, warm dry hands at the end of it.  Excellent gloves!

Does the outside of the gloves stay dry, though?

I'm wondering because I've seen some which, whilst they keep your hand dry inside, get sodden on the outside which isn't so great.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15 October 2014, 06:59:48 am »
Apologies for my ignorance but what difference does that make?

If your wondering how quickly they dry out, its quick.  I left them on my desk at work and they were dry by lunchtime (which is when I remembered I hadn't put them on the radiator, something my summer gloves are all to familiar with).

The visor wipe is actually functional too.   My commute to work is an hour tops and these are keeping my hands warm and dry for what I use them for.  If your out all day in it, gloves soaking all day then you might need something else, Marigolds perhaps... :)
Intentionally left blank

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #38 on: 15 October 2014, 08:49:22 am »
How is the sizing on them Freddo's?  I couldn't find those in large.

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15 October 2014, 09:10:24 am »

I find that a quick rub over with a kitchen towel is enough to dry the outside of these gloves, but they air-dry in the office very quickly, I can pop them in my bag out of the way within an hour usually.

« Last Edit: 15 October 2014, 09:15:27 am by Simon.Pieman »

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 15 October 2014, 09:34:26 am »
Size wise they are fairly snug across the palm, presumably due to the extra padding.  Finger wise they are generous, I also wear large and my usual gloves could do with a longer thumb but the freddos have ample room there and on the finger tips.

I had to get blue ones as I couldn't find a large in red but winter riding ain't no fashion show.
Intentionally left blank

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 15 October 2014, 06:17:47 pm »

Any particular reason you went for the TZG4's not the 5's? Looking forward to your review!

If you don't mind losing a bit of protection - ski gloves. A friend of mine gave me a pair, the only gloves I've ever work on a bike that were truly waterproof.

No thanks, I've fallen off in the cold and wet. Ski gloves are barely different price wise - and I'm planning on wearing these gloves for skiing in too.

Brilliant to hear about the Freddo's - pity the colour layout is (IMO) so bad. As you said NorthWestern - it ain't no fashion show! Looking at them though, I've been concerned over the protection they offer.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #42 on: 15 October 2014, 08:13:17 pm »
If your wondering how quickly they dry out, its quick. 

That was what I was wondering, thanks.

Sorry I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 15 October 2014, 08:37:31 pm »
I had my concerns about protection too TBH but for £25 I thought I would try em.  The palms and fingers are quite thick leather with a suede piece over the top for extra grip  so I think a "double somersault with twist and finally into handstand"  off would be as good as any other motorcycle glove.  They have a lot of padding and protective pads on the front of hand (and the fingernails are leather).

I reckon they would offer decent protection. [source - some bloke on a forum]
Intentionally left blank

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 15 October 2014, 10:11:44 pm »
I had my concerns about protection too TBH but for £25 I thought I would try em.  The palms and fingers are quite thick leather with a suede piece over the top for extra grip  so I think a "double somersault with twist and finally into handstand"  off would be as good as any other motorcycle glove.  They have a lot of padding and protective pads on the front of hand (and the fingernails are leather).

They certainly pass one important litmus test with regards to safetyand that's having just one piece of leather covering the palm and underside of fingers -as opposed to bits of leather stitched together. No connecting stitching in this area means less chance of the glove being pulled apart if you slide and put your hands down on the tarmac.
 The scaphoid protection is minimal on this glove but for the price and waterproofness/warmth it's a winning bit of kit I reckon.

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #45 on: 16 October 2014, 10:24:18 am »

Any particular reason you went for the TZG4's not the 5's? Looking forward to your review!

£18 versus £30.  I think the 4's actually look slightly better too.  No other reason at all.

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #46 on: 17 October 2014, 09:46:39 am »

£18 versus £30.  I think the 4's actually look slightly better too.  No other reason at all.

Arrived today.  Its not raining.  Build quality looks ok, nothing outstanding, but they were £18, not £80.  Certainly look like they should keep my delicate little pinkies snug, and they dont look like they'll fall apart quickly either.
Size wise, a bit roomy.  I suspect a M may have been a bit too snug (but perhaps after a bit of wear they be ok), am semi-tempted to swap them for a M, but then i might just be dicking around sending them back, getting M, finding them too snug and wishing i'd stuck with the L.

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #47 on: 17 October 2014, 11:25:13 am »
Fuggit, i've started the returns process to exchange to a M, as they will give a little once worn in.  I purchased from Busters (ebay) so hopefully should be a smooth process.

AllyBally

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 17 October 2014, 11:15:11 pm »
I can thoroughly recommend the TZG4's as I'm about to buy my third pair, have had Spada's a couple of times aswell. But found the TZG lasted longer and stayed waterproof for longer. Mine have lasted a winter then through spring/summer (not as warm as padding compresses after while),still usable but not so warm or as waterproof, so will keep them as spare.
  Spada's were good gloves but didn't last as well, splitting or stitching coming apart after 3 or 4 months.
Worn daily, year round, always been warm enough for me.
The voices told me to do it !!

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18 October 2014, 04:30:42 pm »

This is the sort of information we need! That's great to hear that such a cheap glove is apparently so well made. But then, it is HELD, you'd expect good things from them at any price.

Thanks to one of the guys on this forum, I've managed to bag myself a set of the Racer Titan's really cheap. Proper reviewing/comments later as they arrived today, and it's back to summer glove weather again. But the quality obviously seems good (normally £100 glove), and the fingers are surprisingly flexible considering their bulk. Size wise, they come up tiny for what they are. My summer RST's are a 'L', my old winter Alpinestars are an 'XL' and these are an 'XXL' and fit well! The wrist velcro only JUST goes tight enough, but I have narrow wrists.

The same day, several hours earlier, I ordered the Furygan Land Pro Evo gloves Get Geared had on sale For £59.99 instead of £99.99. I ordered these in an 'L', and they're slightly tighter, but fit well. Build quality is good, they seem nice gloves - decent dual insulation (thick top, thinner palm), but you can feel the inner move when you pull your hand out. It's obviously stitched into the ends of the fingers, but it does move, I would hope that it'd not pull away overa winter period - that would be really inconvenient!
My biggest problem with them is that the wrist doesn't go anywhere near tight enough to stop them pulling off my hands if I had a crash - again, I do have thin wrists, but there's plenty of space to put more velcro. (I'll be offering them a guy at work for what I paid, or sending them back if he doesn't want them)