Date: 25-04-24  Time: 09:06 am

Author Topic: Winter Gloves  (Read 3307 times)

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
Winter Gloves
« on: 09 September 2014, 03:08:41 pm »
having just read the topic of heated grips was thinking maybe time i got some new winter gloves before I think about heated grips or muffs.

at the minute i'm using Akito Magnum gloves that I have had for nearly 20 years. i wear them all year round as i prefer the protected feeling even when riding in summer. but i dont think these gloves gonna hold over another winter so was wondering if any advice out there for a replacement pair...
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Gloves
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2014, 03:12:17 pm »
I have the Keiss heated gloves, only reason I chose those over heated grips (which I've had several different makes of in the past) is because of commuting on my bike but then using the company bike during the day.
I like them, very warm and heats the whole glove, not just the palm like with grips!
I still say though, whatever you choose to use still get a decent set of muffs too!
Some say...

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2014, 04:27:50 pm »
Another shout for heated gloves. I've been using some Gerbings XR12's for last two years. Last years model appeared to iron out all the reliability issues the model prior had. Lovely and warm and only 30secs of faff when plugging them in before setting off. 

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2014, 04:32:40 pm »
I have the Keiss heated gloves, only reason I chose those over heated grips (which I've had several different makes of in the past) is because of commuting on my bike but then using the company bike during the day.
I like them, very warm and heats the whole glove, not just the palm like with grips!
I still say though, whatever you choose to use still get a decent set of muffs too!
Hey Punk, what Muffs do you use? I have some old Oxford muffs that I can't seem to get to fitter the front brake reservoir. They generally restrict the handlebar movement.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2014, 05:16:21 pm »
http://tucanourbano.co.uk/nylon-hand-grip-covers-r323-n/

The R323 model has extra sleeves for handlebars with mirrors fitted to the bars

R321 doesn't and are best for a faired fazer.

No, they're not cheap but they are by far the best quality ones I have ever used, water/windproof and very warm.
More importantly they're the ones with the most hand space inside and do not push back on the levers at motorway speeds

The only downside is due to the size you will lose some of the steering lock as they will push against the fairing when doing slow tight turns i.e u-turns this is quite a strange feeling to start with but you do get used to it.

One thing people don't think about is having muffs stops the wind blast blowing rain up the sleeves of your jacket!
« Last Edit: 09 September 2014, 05:18:23 pm by Punkstig »
Some say...

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2014, 06:10:57 pm »
I've been using a pair of cheapo muffs for the last decade, but had to do some major mods to get them to work properly without snagging or pulling the brake on whilst at speed. They're getting knackered after 10 winters, and I need new ones.
 Like punkstig, I've had dozens of heated grips, some good, some not so, but muffs have always done me well. I ride all year in summer gloves without problems in the winter.
I think I might invest in some tocano ones next, they certainly look the part.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

king1

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2014, 07:08:51 pm »
I bought a pair of armadillo gloves with the 2 fingers
they do work, especially with silk inners
to top this off I have just fitted heated grips, to be realy cozy

woodwizzard

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2014, 07:40:56 pm »
I use the Keiss heated inners also, lovely and warm all over, but you will need to buy larger gloves to go over them comfortably. I have long hands and had to go to a 5xl glove to be comfortable. Muffs are the way to go for serious winter use though. Would like proper heated gloves, but can't afford them. :'(

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2014, 08:07:51 pm »
Has anyone seen a set of heated muffs? I could have sworn I saw some earlier this year, but it could have been a dream ???

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2014, 09:06:47 pm »
Has anyone seen a set of heated muffs? I could have sworn I saw some earlier this year, but it could have been a dream ???
Oxford made a pair of muffs with a pocket in them that would hold the heated pads they make that wrap around standard grips, so basically they'd do the opposite of heated grips and heat the back of your hands opposed to the palm!
Good idea but I don't think it worked as they imagined!
Some say...

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2014, 10:14:47 pm »
I must have dreamt it. I really need to see a shrink about these weird dreams.  There's the one about the one legged dwarf cartographer dressed as a milkmaid. I'll stop there I think....:-\

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2014, 11:15:43 pm »
Another vote for Gerbings here.

Even without the heat on, they're good in the cold, with the heat on they're wonderfully toasty and they warm down all the way down the fingers, so no hot palms and cold fingertips :)

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 September 2014, 09:38:19 am »
I have some Keis undergloves but can't wear them as they make my gloves too tight. My winter gloves have a neoprene cuff liner that slips under the jacket cuff making them perfect for keeping the wind and rain out. The problem is finding replacements.  I'd like to fit Muffs and wear looser  thinner gloves but with crash protection and the heated under gloves. Not nuch to consider then?
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 September 2014, 12:44:37 pm »
I have some Keis undergloves but can't wear them as they make my gloves too tight. My winter gloves have a neoprene cuff liner that slips under the jacket cuff making them perfect for keeping the wind and rain out. The problem is finding replacements.  I'd like to fit Muffs and wear looser  thinner gloves but with crash protection and the heated under gloves. Not nuch to consider then?

I'm quite close to that set up:
Muffs (currently using a set of Oxfords, which are fine around town, but annoy me on the motorway so I want a set of the ones Punkstig recommended)
Alpinestars GTX 365 gloves. Essentially summer race style gloves, with all the protection, but also a waterproof membrane. Not the warmest, but they're waterproof and very well put together.
Oxford heated sports grips

Combination of that lot, and my hands have no difficulties doing 150 miles in 0 degree temperature (the rest of me is a different story, but the hands are fine!) - I normally don't have the heated grips anywhere near max with the muffs on, without the wind chill I find they start to make my hands uncomfortably hot near max!

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #14 on: 15 September 2014, 09:27:49 am »
many thanks for the advice .. have mentioned to HQ1 that for Christmas all i would like is a new pair of gloves she said ok, then I told her how much i was hopin to spend and she still given green light :)

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 September 2014, 12:17:53 pm »
Winter gloves?  I use a Honda Civic LOL

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1