Date: 22-05-24  Time: 08:13 am

Author Topic: Disconecting Battery With Datatool Alarm  (Read 6158 times)

arch33angel

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Disconecting Battery With Datatool Alarm
« on: 14 February 2012, 01:04:34 pm »
I'm leaving my Fazer at the airport for a couple of weeks but it has a datatool alarm fitted. Is it ok to put the alarm on service mode, disconnect the battery and reconnect when I get back(assuming my bike is still there lol) to avoid draining it? Datatool was on bike when I bought it which is a minus in my opinion. Thanks.

fazervic

• Cager in Training
  • R.I.P MARCO
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Disconecting Battery With Datatool Alarm
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2012, 09:18:12 pm »
i have a datatool alarm on mine and have had it parked up for two weeks and had no problem with it starting,
i wouldnt leave it in service mode more chance of it going flat i would think.

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2012, 10:30:06 pm »
Got datatool on my fireblade. It's a pain in the ass for sure but starts fine after a few weeks being stood. I would be tempted to leave it in ferry or service mode & chain it to something solid. Defeats the object of having an alarm but as we all know, no one does anything when they go off & you wont be around to disarm it if it gets triggered accidentally.

deevid

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2012, 12:32:41 am »

I know I'm a bit late here, but thought I'd share!
I have a datatool 3 in my Fazer, and just did something similar.  I removed the battery for a few months over the winter.

Your method will work, but if you want to be careful and avoid spiking the alarm, you should do the following:

- Put the bike into service mode
- Remove the alarm fuse, then remove the bike battery
- It will continue to beep for a day or two until the alarm battery goes flat
(I stuffed bluetack into the holes in the alarm which made the beeping almost unnoticeable.)
- Replace the bike battery, then replace the alarm fuse. It should still be in service mode.

As everyone says though, you'll probably be fine with the battery in if it's just for a couple of weeks!

peteski

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 February 2012, 01:10:25 pm »
I'm sorry but I'd disagree with that. I have a system 3 on mine and the manual discourages what you're suggesting for a reason. Firstly the unit monitors battery levels and if it sees it's getting low it switches onto low-power mode to preserve what's left. It will eventually flatten if left long enough but you'll have to wait much longer than four weeks on any half decent battery. Secondly, the bike is not protected in service mode. Thirdly, it'll bleep every 30 seconds or so (not great). If you have then disconnected the battery, the alarms internal battery will go flat after a few days which will do it no good at all.

I'd suggest if you're worried about coming back to find your starter motor won't turn the bike over, just bump start it and it'll be full again by the time you get home.