Date: 27-04-24  Time: 07:14 am

Author Topic: 2002 Fazer headlight MOT issues, any advice appreciated.  (Read 1225 times)

stuboy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
2002 Fazer headlight MOT issues, any advice appreciated.
« on: 08 March 2017, 07:35:28 pm »
Had issues getting my bike through its MOT today, the MOT  tester explained to me that my fazer is fitted with European headlights, which can't be adjusted to be UK compliant. The garage were well alright, tester fitted tape over the headlights lens to obscure the beams and that's got me back on the road, but was quite glad it was still light riding home...

[/size]Can anyone tell me if there is any way round this or I am I looking at finding a UK specific part ? Nothing online second hand that I can see tonight, but there is a brand new unit at £240 odd quid plus vat from a retail parts place....to be honest, I don't know where to start looking, neither am I 100% sure of what it is that I am needing.. ! Anyone got any pointers ..?  I'd be grateful to you.all the best,Stu

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: 2002 Fazer headlight MOT issues, any advice appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2017, 08:59:23 pm »
I think I have a set of reflectors somewhere, from old headlights.
Any headlights I broke or come across that are broken I remove the reflectors.
You can dismantle the headlight and remove the old reflectors and replace them with the correct ones.
I will search for them tomorrow evening when I get home and let you know.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2017, 10:18:46 pm »
Had issues getting my bike through its MOT today, the MOT  tester explained to me that my fazer is fitted with European headlights, which can't be adjusted to be UK compliant. The garage were well alright, tester fitted tape over the headlights lens to obscure the beams and that's got me back on the road, but was quite glad it was still light riding home...

Can anyone tell me if there is any way round this or I am I looking at finding a UK specific part ? Nothing online second hand that I can see tonight, but there is a brand new unit at £240 odd quid plus vat from a retail parts place....to be honest, I don't know where to start looking, neither am I 100% sure of what it is that I am needing.. ! Anyone got any pointers ..?  I'd be grateful to you.all the best,Stu
Easy way around it is take a photograph with the tape on the headlight store the photo on your computer and also keep a backup else where or a print a copy out, remove the tape drive for 12 months put the tape back on and go to the same MOT station. Cheap way out :thumbup

stuboy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2017, 10:27:52 am »
Thanks a lot for your reply
If you do have a set to sell that would be brilliant. fingers crossed.
I think I have a set of reflectors somewhere, from old headlights.
Any headlights I broke or come across that are broken I remove the reflectors.
You can dismantle the headlight and remove the old reflectors and replace them with the correct ones.
I will search for them tomorrow evening when I get home and let you know.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2017, 12:51:04 am »
 :thumbup I have a set of reflectors, found them buried in my spares box under the stairs  :)

stuboy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2017, 08:40:21 am »
You beauty .. !!

If it's ok for me to have em, please let me know how much you want for them + postage and I will send you it recorded with my address. Thank-you for helping me out bud, I was looking at £300+ to get this sorted if I had to get a new GB specific headlight unit.