Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:36 pm

Author Topic: Fork seal replacement problems.  (Read 1234 times)

Neon Knight

• Weekend Warrior
  • In space no one can hear you fart !
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS1000 01
    • View Profile
Fork seal replacement problems.
« on: 07 August 2021, 06:03:22 am »
Recently found that one of my forks was leaking oil and decided that the seal was probably shot. I have had the bike for 16 years and it's been out in all weathers and never let me down. Had a look on YouTube to see if it was possible to change the seals myself. Watched a few videos and it all looked pretty straight forward so I bought all the relevant bits such as seals, new circlips, bushes, and thicker fork oil. After a little bit of trouble managed to get the forks off and stripped down. Replaced the seals but then found that for a reason that totally alluded me when all the internals are put back inside the spacer protrudes about 4 inches above the top of the stanchion and I cannot put the end cap back on. I followed the instructions on the videos exactly but something is wrong. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Fork seal replacement problems.
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2021, 12:26:16 pm »
The exact opposite as the problem I had.

Assuming you only replaced the seals and not the stanchion then look at the order you have reassembled it all. is the plastic cone from the bottom of the fork upside down? It should sit inside the stanchion.

Also, have you extended the stanchion fully or is it jammed down (they do jam if you push it too far down)?

Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

the cueball

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - zx12r, H2, RC51, MT09, Pan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2021, 05:03:21 pm »
Sounds like it could be jammed in the down position… a right pain in the backside!

Happened to me once and I’ve been mega careful ever since..

Neon Knight

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2021, 06:58:47 pm »
I assume that all the fork internal components fit inside the stanchions but when you line them up alongside it doesn't look like there is enough room for them. I know this sounds like a stupid question but does the damper rod go inside the fork tube or inside the slider?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2021, 09:54:04 pm »
starting at the bottom - and I will probably miss out a washer or something.....the order of assembly is .......

bolt - Tube - plastic spacer thing - stanchion - damper - spring - washer - spacer - washer - cap
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Neon Knight

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2021, 05:02:53 pm »
Managed to sort it out in the end. Yes it was jammed in the down position. Managed to free it and get everything where it was supposed to be. Many thanks for the advise you guys gave me, believe me it really was appreciated.
 :)