Date: 28-04-24  Time: 17:00 pm

Author Topic: Braehead Shopping and Camera's  (Read 2054 times)

Sunny Intervals

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R
    • View Profile
Braehead Shopping and Camera's
« on: 10 October 2011, 04:57:20 am »
http://www.thedrum.co.uk/news/2011/10/09/26943-facebook-campaign-calls-for-boycott-of-braehead-shopping-centre-over-photography-restrictions/

"In explaining the situation in a letter to the Evening Times, published on the campaign page, Chris White claims to have explained, when stopped and questioned, that the only pictures were of his daughter and that he wasn’t willing to delete the pictures, which had already been uploaded to Facebook.

Police were then called, claiming that pictures were not allowed within the centre and that he was breaching privacy. It is also claimed that one of the attending officers claimed that he was able to confiscate the mobile phone and delete the pictures under the Prevention of Terrorism act."

I wonder if we give up our right to Privacy when we enter the Shopping centre and have cameras watching us  :photo  :rolleyes

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Braehead Shopping and Camera's
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2011, 08:02:01 am »
You may photograph anything and anyone in a public place. A shopping centre is private so owners can put restrictions on entrants.

pete786.u

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2011, 08:07:40 am »
I think they have a similar rule in the "Grand Arcade" in Cambridge, why anyone would want to take photos in there I don`t know, it`s full of coffee shops and mobile phone shops   :rolleyes

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2011, 12:54:41 pm »
I don't think they can do this unless they make the signs very large and clear at all the entrances to the shopping center, even if it is privately owned. As it is open to the public (non-ticketed entrance) it can be rightly considered a public place unless you are expressly told otherwise.

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2011, 06:43:50 pm »
They can - but photographers are trying to stop them http://photographernotaterrorist.org/tag/shopping-centres/

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2011, 10:30:41 pm »
Following a lot of negative publicity and demands for a boycott, Breahead have issued an apology to the guy and will be revising their policy on photography (and hopefully training their Security Guards to use their brains!)