Date: 27-04-24  Time: 19:19 pm

Author Topic: 57 FZ1 Stuttering at low revs.  (Read 2568 times)

Panzerbuilder

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
57 FZ1 Stuttering at low revs.
« on: 19 April 2016, 09:50:26 pm »
Just having an issue with my new, to me, FZ1. Was working perfectly but since last Monday it stutters / gags in low gears between 2K-5K rpm. Once it gets going its fine. Initially I thought it was the PC3 but that has been back to Dynojet and apart from a reset and the latest software it is okay. Re-fitted the PC3, after loading the original map, but the problem is still there. Not as noticeable but still there.

After searching the net I'm looking at checking the coils but is there anything else that I need to consider based on that vast knowledge out there.  :)

Regards.
Life's a bitch. Enjoy it while you can.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: 57 FZ1 Stuttering at low revs.
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2016, 08:13:40 am »
Try running with  it back to standard , with the pc3 disconnected, see if it makes any difference.
Then I would check spark plugs, fuel filter and air filter, coils.

Does it just happen when engine is cold or is it still there when warmed up, could be the sensor for the thermostat.

Panzerbuilder

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2016, 08:57:42 pm »
Did do while the PC3 was getting serviced. Unfortunately the issue didn't go.  :'(

But now the PC3 is back on it is definitely when the bike is warm. Not as severe as before bit when the bike is warm the stutter is definitely there.

Checked the coils tonight but my multi meter could not accurately read the primary coil resistance. They all read high though. The secondary coil readings were all fine. I didn't check the plugs.

If it is the thermostat sensor how do I check to see if there is an error code and then clear it?

BTW the bike has a Leo Vince stubby fitted.

Thanks,

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2016, 01:19:31 pm »
I was thinking of the wax sensor under the fuel tank in the airbox but if it was that it would only affect the tickover at cold so I think you can rule that out, don`t think there would be an error code for it.
Could you borrow another multi meter and check coils again?
Also check all the multi connectors under tank for corrosion.

Panzerbuilder

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2016, 10:45:34 pm »
New plugs will be fitted tomorrow and I will look at getting some tested, second hand coils, JIC.

Then we will see how she goes.

Panzerbuilder

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2016, 08:33:01 pm »
With the new plugs and both centre coils replaced with tested second hand ones, she's back to been the bike I bought earlier this year. Went for a 15 mile test ride and had no issues, apart from forgetting about the average speed cameras near Beverley.  :'( Fingers crossed.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2016, 09:22:49 pm »
 :),  I like a nice simple fix.

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2016, 09:30:11 am »
With the new plugs and both centre coils replaced with tested second hand ones, she's back to been the bike I bought earlier this year. Went for a 15 mile test ride and had no issues, apart from forgetting about the average speed cameras near Beverley.  :'( Fingers crossed.

Are you an East Riding resident Panzerbuilder?  :)
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!