Date: 17-05-24  Time: 13:33 pm

Author Topic: helmet sizing  (Read 1957 times)

fazerboy1969

• DAS Born Again
  • shabba!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
helmet sizing
« on: 20 November 2011, 03:06:24 pm »
Ok looking at changing my helmet cos its beat up externally.now im a medium and I keep seeing helmets like my caberg goin for next to nowt but the wrong size,now im told the helmet shell is the same size,its the lining that makes it the size it is,so my question is,if I buy either bigger or smaller caberg hemet,can I put my liningin it,thus making it right for me?
Loads of bikes owned...but my fazer 600 and thou were and are the best ive owned

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: helmet sizing
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2011, 03:58:54 pm »
If your helmet is 'beat up externally' it's likely that the impact absorbing 'lining' under the shell is not in A1 condition either, so it's fooked, -not that you should swap out helmet linings anyway.
The only answer to your question is No, you should buy a nice new helmet of the correct size.

fazerboy1969

• DAS Born Again
  • shabba!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2011, 04:26:53 pm »
But lining is just that a lining..nowt wrong with it,granted helmet has been dropped a few times but surley lining is ok....? So if I buy the same helmet again of correct size,you wouldnt reccomend keeping the old lining for a spare????
Loads of bikes owned...but my fazer 600 and thou were and are the best ive owned

Jacko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2011, 04:38:33 pm »
I wouldn't have thought it mattered. you can remove and wash it etc
like you say its just lining.
It softens and beds in from new anyway.
Sent from my pants - using talkingbollocks

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2011, 04:56:59 pm »
But lining is just that a lining..nowt wrong with it,granted helmet has been dropped a few times but surley lining is ok....? So if I buy the same helmet again of correct size,you wouldnt reccomend keeping the old lining for a spare????

Yes, keep the old 'lining' as a spare (if you mean the spongy cheek pieces and cap, I myself have lots of old Arai cheekpieces that still fit later Arai models)
'Should point out that these bits don't dictate wether the helmet is medium or large size, it's the shell and/or the polystyrene lining that encompasses the skull that determine the size.

fazerboy1969

• DAS Born Again
  • shabba!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2011, 05:21:36 pm »
Ahhhh there lies my question.ive been told outer shell doesnt always change with helmet size,so keeping production costs down,but its the lining that dictates helmet size..im sure tho it does vary from manufacturer

fazerboy1969

• DAS Born Again
  • shabba!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2011, 06:41:13 pm »
Well.just bought a caberg flip front for £53 in a special mirage paint scheme..different...i can keep my lining now  :(

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2011, 07:13:04 pm »
Bit of a late answer  but if you got a caberg I hope you got a tight fit - the insides of cabergs shrink more than most lids I've had - so it was too loose after six months

fazerboy1969

• DAS Born Again
  • shabba!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 November 2011, 07:37:48 pm »
Yeah.had my last caberg 18 months,also ill put in my old lining for perfect fit if need be  :)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 November 2011, 07:42:30 pm »
BEWARE
The hard outer shell is to protect the helmet from the occasional knock, its the polystyrene liner that does the protecting of your head in an accident.
If you fit the old polystyrene into a new helmet shell you'll compromise the safety of your head. I'm sure its bonded to the shell anyway.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

fazerboy1969

• DAS Born Again
  • shabba!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 November 2011, 09:11:57 pm »
Inner lining I mean the removable cheek and other removable items in the helmet