Date: 21-05-24  Time: 18:41 pm

Author Topic: Negative scanners  (Read 5578 times)

Jonty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW F800 ST
    • View Profile
Negative scanners
« on: 06 December 2011, 10:18:22 pm »
Hi Chaps,

Wanted to get the views the assembled view on negative scanners - the good, the bad and the ugly!

Like many people, we've got a load of negatives knocking about - but don't ever do anything with them.

So has anybody bought a negative scanner - could you download easily onto the p.c. and then print out a decent picture.....if so, how much and which sort?

All views gratefully recieved as the other 3/4's might be getting it for Crimble!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Negative scanners
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2011, 10:28:54 pm »
I have a Nikon Coolscan III which I bought about eight years ago and which still does good work, scanning negs reasonably quickly and with good quality although the software has always been a little fiddly.

In those days it cost about £450, but you can get such scanners a lot more cheaply now.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2011, 10:29:52 pm »
No experience but if you've got a whole bunch of negatives you want transfrerred to digital you'd be better off sending them off to a company to get them done. If you buy a home PC based scanner you'll be doing them one at a time and beleive me that'll soon loose it's appeal.

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2011, 11:07:16 pm »
Hi John

My father in law is trying to do the same but knows nothing about IT. The cost each was too much - he has 100s.
This is also an option and considerably cheaper
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=108512&r=20111125
£69 posted and very good review. 35 seconds per set of 3
Amazon reviews here http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00365E1NS

Cheers

Paul

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2011, 11:49:26 pm »
My father in law....knows nothing about IT..... he has 100s...
Well done for volunteering to scan and catalog all your FIL's negatives - you know he's not going to know how to do it even after you've added a slide scanner to the computer he already doesn't know how to use, so it'll be your responsibility.

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2011, 12:01:42 am »
Thats the attraction of the one I linked - its a stand alone device which is more camera than scanner. You pop a slide in and press a button - then repeat 1000 times. The image is stored on an SD card just like a camera so easy peasy

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2011, 07:12:52 pm »
You might be best asking on a photograhy forum.

A lot of it depends on what quality you want.

I've got a Nikon LS40 which I bought in 2003.  I originally bought a Minolta Dual Scan, that lasted a month and went pop.  Got replaced with the Nikon that has now been repaired once.

It's a 135 format scanner and the results are top notch.  It takes about 5 minutes to do a scan, then I'll spend more time working on the scan in photoshop.  I've had nice prints from it including ones up to 30 inches.

Sadly Nikon no longer make scanners.  The Minolta and Nikon scanners were way ahead of the other offerings. 

Another option is to buy a flatbed scanner with a film hood.  It'll scan all formats up to 10x8 inch.  The problem with flatbeds is they were generally considered too soft for 135 scans (though again what quality do you want).  One advantage of the flatbed option is you can easily batch scan with 135.

Technology has moved on, as have some of the scanner manufacturers sadly, I don't know anything about the quality of the current crop of film and flatbeds. 

Another possibility is using a slide duplicator (fits on the end of your lens) and a lightbox.  Quick and easy, but again it all depends on what quality you are after.

As for scanning 100's of negs.  That's a nightmare, or a very long term project, unless you invest 20 grand in a proper lab scanner which will give ultimate speed and quality.

b3tarev3

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Betarev3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2011, 09:28:59 pm »
Check out your local Lidl or Aldi. I got one of these a while back, easy to use and the results are spot on. Does negatives and slides. http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID-23494885-20E6AFD0/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_10240.htm?offerdate=&ERR=noservice

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2011, 10:58:35 am »
I have a pal who runs a Snappy Snaps shop. He recently did a load for me.

May be cheaper, easier and quicker than your own scanner?
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #9 on: 08 December 2011, 11:40:42 am »
there is a lot of negativity in this thread!!!  :rollin :rollin

cheer up peeps it wil soon be Christmas!!

sorry poor attempt at humour!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 December 2011, 02:03:51 pm »
BBC news did a 10 minute 'technology review' of negative scanners at the weekend.

They claimed you could get acceptable quality from a standard modern flatbed scanner at 4800DPI.

Maplin do one for £40. It has quite good reviews.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/5mp-compact-film-and-slide-scanner-503038?c=found&u=p1%20promo%202011_mobile&t=negative%20scanner&gclid=cp3dltfq8qwcfdqhtaodunuyyw

Otherwise you'll need a very generous old Santa to stuff one of these in your sock.  :o
http://www.dtgweb.com/shop/product.php?productid=26982&cat=498&f=more

oldmotherfoccer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • WWW.FATMAGGOT.COM
« Reply #11 on: 08 December 2011, 05:30:03 pm »
i bought one for my mum and dad, once installed they have both been able to use it, and some lovely old images found and kept, my sister bought them a stand alone hard drive as well to store all the images on, so they could then take this around with them to install the pictures on other peoples computers, some of the images were over 50 years old and have come out really really well

seem to think it was about £40 from costco
Fat Maggot Clothing Company - remember FOCU15 to claim your foccers discount

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 December 2011, 06:29:09 pm »
Yes I would dearly love one of those Flextight scanners.

I might never shoot digital again if I got hold of one of those.

Ach well, hoping I get my old darkroom re-built in the next couple of years.